U.S. Dominicans & Sympathizers....just a thought

M

mondongo

Can the we dominicans (& others) living abroad use our education and realtive financial strength to effect any change in the Homeland? How and what can be done?

D

DR1

Re: U.S. Dominicans & Sympathizers....just a thoug

Contact Muchachos y Muchachas con Don Bosco. This is a worthy program that has been going on for years. They provide vocational training for teenagers. It is run by very dedicated priests.

For more information, contact Padre Juan Linares at Tel. 809 536-2880 or visit http://www.mdb.org.do

Also, the library of the school needs all sorts of help. The contact there is Padre Jesus Hernandez. Tel. 809 685-7667
His email is biblantisal@codetel.net.do

P

Prof. Tiberius Mineola

Re: Dominican Yorks. No Social Conscience??

I find this post most interesting. I'm an American who has been living in Puerto Plata for 5 years. I've done a lot of traveling within the DR. I've encountered many Dominican Yorks. Virtually none have any interest whatsoever in helping the hundreds of thousands of poor Dominicans; despite the fact that most Yorks have spent 10 - 20 - 30 years in the United States & have in many cases accumulated substantial wealth. Why? Am I missing something? Any contrary evidence or observations?

J

Joachim

I agree I have seen Dominicans have had to do every conceivable thing to survive in the DR. While their relatives never send them one red cent.

What always really annoyed me is that when these Dominican Yorks return to visit their families, they expect a place to stay for free, try to impress them with usless things that they buy at Wal-Mart. Once they return, they go back to doing the same thing, yet the families greet them with open arms. Sick.

D

DR1

Statistics show the contrary is true. Dominicans living abroad send back billions to the Dominican economy. Indeed, remittances of Dominicans living abroad surpass the tourism receipts according to the Central Bank. Remittances in 2001 were the main source of foreign exchange for the Dominican Republic.

S

Stephen Hadley

have to agree with that. My Dominican wife and friend spend sometimes huge sums of money on gifts and many are supporting relatives down there.

J

Joachim

Dominicans living abroad send back billions to the Dominican economy. Billions? The exports to the DR are only 2.8 Billion! You are funny. I agree that some send money, but from "Only my experience very few do".

J

John

Remittance,agriculture,freezone mfg. and tourism are the four major foreign exchange components. Last yr. remittance was approx. a billion two hundred thousand. Freezones and tourism were more.

N

Natasha

What I find most interesting each and everytime are your assessments of the Dominican people, LOL. From reading several reports on the matter, very few Dominicans abroad have accumulated any "substantial wealth". Heck, for the most part, to "make it" abroad is to have a decent job (or two) and save up enough money to go back to the DR and build a home. Dominicans in NYC are not doing as good, income wise, as they once did in the 70's and 80's. Even so, Dominicans abroad are very generous. They are one of the most generous immigrant groups in the US when it comes to sending money back to their homeland. This is so much the case that the IDB conducted an entire conference in May of this year on the remittances phenomenon. I can put you in touch with a Dominican colleague of mine who works for IDB if you need statistics on how much money Dominicans send back home.

Regards,
Natasha

J

Joachim

I would love to see some facts please. If Dominicans build a home in the DR, then what?, my wife(Dominican) says " Tu no puedes comer la casa".

Most of the Dominicans that I have met in New York, Philedelpia are exactly the opposite of what you claim. They get to the US, Canada, and they only think of themselves.

T

Tgf

Joachim, the article attached to the URL listed below might answer a few questions and provide some "harder" evidence for the general discussion. Especially, read the section on the DR and how the remittances are used. Regards, Tgf

N

Natasha

Here is some information. You can go the IDB web page and search for the rest of the facts.

REMITTANCES AS A DEVELOPMENT TOOL: A REGIONAL CONFERENCE

May 17 & 18, 2001

Conference presentations (in PDF format)

Conference document: "Remittances to Latin America and the Caribbean: Comparative Statistics":

part one Cover of report

part two Map showing remittances sent to 12 countries in the region

part three Introduction; statistics on Brazil, Colombia, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Peru; information on
major migrant communities in U.S.

part four Map showing Latin American/Caribbean populations living in U.S.

part five Annex showing references/sources (including World Bank, IMF, IDB, regional

Embassies, and other sources)

News articles about conference:

Plan will make sending home money easy (Tom Carter, Washington Times, May 16)

New migrants spur growth in remittances (Stephen Fidler, Financial Times, May 16)

Plan aims to send more cash to Latin America (Andres Oppenheimer, Miami Herald, May

17)

Las remesas familiares, principal fuente de ingresos (Rosa Townsend, El Pa?s, Spain, May

21)

Remittances, the money that migrants send back to their home countries, constitute a growing phenomenon, and have a significant economic and social impact in Latin America and the Caribbean. For the most part, remittances are used for basic subsistence needs and make up a significant portion of the income of those households that receive them. It is estimated that cash
remittances from migrants in the United States to Mexico, Central America, and the Caribbean alone will total more than US$300 billion over the next ten years.

The Multilateral Investment Fund organized a regional conference for open discussions regarding the relation between remittances and economic and social development. The conference focused
on the following issues:

Economic Role of Remittances

Reducing Cost of Transferring Remittances

Perspectives from Formal Financial Institutions

Connecting Global & Local: An Institutional Challenge

Migrant Capital and Productive Investment

Potential Role of Remittances in Microfinance

Special emphasis was given to mechanisms and instruments oriented to improving efficiency and reducing the cost of transfers, as well as to promote the use of migrant capital in productive
investment projects in communities of origin.

More than two hundred high-level participants attended from the region, including government officials, and representatives from NGOs, multilateral institutions, hometown associations, and the
private sector.

N

Nelson

From the IADB report

Remittances at a Regional Level
page 11.

"Despite its relative small size, the Dominican Republic receives the third-highest volume for remittances in the region, after Mexico and Brazil. Annual remittances account for 10% of GDP...Remittances help offset a significant trade deficit and account for more than eleven times official development aid."

N

Natasha

You have to do a heavy duty search to find these reports, therefore, I have included the link. Happy reading!

Regards,
Natasha

M

Marilyn

A Dominican York responds...

I want to leave aside the statistics here and talk about what I live and see on a day to day basis both here in NY and in DR. We work to support ourselves and to support the brother, sister, daughter, son, plus their spouses and children back home. When we go to DR on vacation (and I'm speaking for myself and my mother) we have to spend so much money buying shoes, clothes, small appliances,etc. for the relatives, that sometimes we can only afford to go to Wal-mart/KMart to buy a couple of new outfits and a Kathy Lee bathing suit so that we can enjoy a weekend on an AI that we will then charge to a credit card, which will take 2 years to pay off. If anyone wants to know if the Dominican Yorks really help their relatives in DR, just make a trip to JFK airport before the American Airlines 7AM flight and ask everyone on the line why they're carrying so much luggage and boxes. I'll save you the trip, even the clothes on their children's back is already destined for a niece or cousin who's "about" the same size, even friends are included in the giveaway. My mother supported her sister, husband and three children (money, food, clothing) for more than 10 years until they finally got their green card to come here, and my mother was a factory worker who raised me and my brother here in NY making US$200-300 a week, but she always found the money to send to her sister back home.

On my last trip to DR, on August 2000, I went to the Mercado Villa Consuelo and spent RD$3,000 (not much but I'm hoping to do better this year) buying rice, cooking oil, cans of sardines, beans, etc., which we (my children and I) took to a church in Guachupita and gave it to the pastor to give to the more needy families. We used the lady that does my washing to make contact with the pastor. I'm moving back to DR at the end of August and I'm just bringing a good education and the clothes on my back basically, but I have a lot of good intentions and I hope to help the poor any way I can.

This is just a response to those who say that Dominican Yorks have no conscience, we do, but we work our butt off to make a living and so that our relatives in DR can drink their Presidentes sitting in the Malecon and complain about how unfeeling we are, like I told my mother "dejelo que se jodan, son unos malagradecidos"

WE DESERVE A BREAK TOO!!!

Thanks for listening,

Marilyn

M

Mr Oldman

Re: U.S. Dominicans & Sympathizers....just a thoug

I have only been to the DR one time, but was taken aback by the poverty I saw on two trips into the country. I felt bad going back to our "resort" at Punta Cana after seeing what I saw. It was especially unnerving to see the poverty in the sugar can fields that the Hatian people were living under.

The children was what bothered me most. If someone can tell me of a place to send money where it will GO TO THE CHILDREN ONLY, I will gladly send money and solicit the folks that I work with for more donations.

This would be for both Dominican and Hatian children as I would like to help all of the children in the DR.

A

Alegria

Re: A Dominican York responds...

I sincerely appreciate your perspective. I feel the problem comes when you start labelling people. You cannot say, "Todos los Dominican Yorks son egoistas y los Dominicanos son pobres y sufren" I know Dominicans right in Santiago who don't do anything for their own even though they have money and I know of Dominican Yorks who do what they can to help those on the island. We can't label people. I personally experienced an arrogance in Yorks more than anything else, but hey even if that was my experience I'm not going to say that Yorks are arrogant and unfeeling. I met ones that weren't the most affectionaten and that is all. I can only speak about my experinences. Mary I appreciate what you are doing for your family. Selfless loving is needed in this world.

J

Joachim

All these things that are brought from abroad could be just as easily be bought in the DR A major part of this mentality is "Para impressionar"

These "People back home" do not need handouts, what they need are jobs and education. Only relying on family members for support only makes them want to do less.

My wife is Dominican I refuse to support anyone in her family. Not because I am selfish or egotistical, simply because once you start sending money there, they never stop asking for more.

Telling your family in the DR that you only make $200-300 per week is fine, but they will never believe you.

A friend on mines wife recently immigrated from the DR to Canada, withing 1 month of being here the family started asking her for money. However, her relatives in Phily, never sent her a penny.

I do my part, when I go there I always find clothes for kids, ect. But I refuse to send money to anyone, then laugh at me. No thanks!!

A

Abe

"My wife is Dominican I refuse to support anyone in her family. Not because I am selfish or egotistical, simply because once you start sending money there, they never stop asking for more. "

Then why are you complaining about Dominicans not sending their hard earned money to the DR?

People send what they can, in North America nothing is for free, money doesn't grow on trees and you have to break your back to make 250 a week, that's after you had paid your taxes, rent, phone, cable, and parking tickets.

Truth is, without the money send by the people you refer to as ?Dominican York? a contemptuous term used to in the Dominican Republic to refer to drug dealers not hard working ?Dominicanos Ausentes? the Dominican economy would crumble.

Regards,

Abe

J

Joachim

I have in the past helped the poor, sent money to help for a childs education(only to have the father take the money and spend it on drinking)

In my wifes' families case, if they have time to hang around all day and not even attempt to look for work, then I refuse to help someone like that. A family member of hers worked in a pizza place and was their for a number of years. He is married with one child. He quite his job for some reason(argument with the dueno). Instead of looking for work, he came and asked me for help. Then I asked him what he was doing to look for alternative work, his reply. My cousin will get me a job.

Dominicans should help those in need. As does Sammy Sosa, ect. But the ones who only want to take advantage of others warrant no help whatsoever.