Price Hike

A

allan

Just starting to look at resorts for this coming winter and boy the pricing has really climbed! Some resorts are up by $400-600 for the same 2 week period as last year. Makes one stop and relook at Cuba! Could the pricing be up because of the resorts closing and the wage hike last winter?

C

christy

Inexpensive packages for Canadians

Allan,
I am not sure about the rest of DR,and can only speak of what I know: Cabarete. Check out these sites for packages designed specifically for Canadians which are affordable. Plus, you could always take up a new hobbie!
www.the-dominican-republic.com/kiteboardtravel
and
www.the-dominican.republic.com/windsurftravel
Hope this helps!

D

DR1

Pricing is up because hotel costs have gone up, with new taxes and higher electricity bills. Also, hotels realize they have to renovate and offer quality food service to stay in business.

D

Donna

Dont know if you were referring to Cuba because you have been but if you havent then do go. Its beautiful but changing fast so the sooner you go the better.

B

Bob Morris

Actually I am surprised that prices did not go up last year because of the price of oil, which the DR has to import (so I understand). I was pleasantly surprised that my package only went up $160 and that was all air fare.

I haven't seen any prices for the winter of 01-02 but I do anticipate greater costs. I only hope that my bank account will take the drain.

E

Eddy

All charters out of Canada pay a fortune in airport taxes. Air Transat for example pays millions of US$ to the DR Gov. I heard that this country has the highest airport tax in the world. Several European charters have a "Non charter" (or whatever it's called ) status and pay very low taxes. I guess that's why people can travel return for as low as US$250.00 from Europe.

R

Richard

It is also unfortunate when Canadians try to book Transat for more than the standard one or two weeks they get nailed with what they call a "back to back" fare which is really like buying two return tickets. A friend was recently quoted $1300Cdn for a return flight Toronto to POP end of Nov. to first week of January. He can do better buying a return ticket on American. Their price after their sale was $1050.00CDn. When you see Philippe, Eddy, you might mention to him that their policies are costing them business.

E

Eddy

Re: Price Hike To Richard

It probably doen't matter. They're always travelling full anyway. It's got to be the airport taxes in the DR because Transat offer excellent prices to Europe.

R

Richard

Re: Price Hike To Richard

I know you are right Eddy. No point in giving Philippe a hard time he's such a nice guy.See you in Nov.