Police Arrests

H

helen

I require verification from residents of the DR as to why and if this happens on a regular basis.
Are Dominican Men being pulled off the streets and put in jail for no apparent reason? How can they get protection against that injustice which seems to be happening all the time? The police don't charge them with an offence (at least that is what I've been told) but, they have to pay mucho pesos to get out of jail.I am getting concerned as my husband is waiting for his visa into Canada and he has now being hauled off to jail. I had to send money to a lawyer (Franklin Pasqual) to get him out of jail.This is really frustrating as we don't have anyone there with any kind of authority who can act on our behalf and get the real story of the situation!

J

Jim Hinsch

The police regularly arrest both Dominican men and women that are in tourist areas without a crime having been committed. This is their way of cleaning up the crime. Sometimes they arrest randomly, sometimes they have big raids and arrest just about everybody, including motoconchos, bartenders, and waitresses.

If a Dominican is there and does not have a job, then they are presumed to be preying on tourists as thieves, prostitutes, pimps, unlicensed vendors, drug dealers, etc. They also arrest those that might be underage, are in a bar, and don't have a cedula to prove they are at least 18. Sometimes, if a bar has too many waiters or waitresses for example, they too are accussed of being prostitutes using their "job" as a front. They are jailed, investigated to see if they are on record for past crimes or are wanted for a crime, and they usually do have to pay to get out.

How much they must pay and how long they must stay depends partly on who comes to speak in defense of the character of the person arrested. Those of good character will have friends and family show up very quickly to let the police know they have made a mistake and the arrested person will be freed without a fine. But, if the person is a known "street person", someone that literally hangs out in the streets or on the beaches (as their source of income), they will definitely have to pay a fine to get out within a few days, typically between RD$300 and RD$1500. It is a punishment that deters many from returning to the streets and beaches.

In reality, it means only the hardest core are the ones that remain on the streets, in the discos, or on the beach because the rest are afraid of being arrested (again) and those that come out either don't care, have friends on the force, have money to get out of jail, or just don't care. Regardless, these actions do have the affect of lessening the number of "street persons" on the streets, the beach, and in the bars.

So, it is true. The police do randomly arrest Dominicans in tourist areas with no crime having been committed.

The Dominican man was probably in a tourist area and doesn't have a job and friends and family than can attest to his good character (people that can vouch he is muy serio). After all, why would he be mixing with the tourists if he wasn't hustling (this is the mentality of the police, who are following orders)?

G

Grahame Bush

Why not try the Consulate or Embassy nearest where your husband lives (& gets arrested) that represents your country? I am sure they will say it is not their place to get involved & help, but surely a 'phone call to the police station concerned, advising that this man IS your husband & therefor of GOOD character & stating that the Canadian/American/British consulate/Embassy will be taking an active interest if he is arrested again, could help things along a bit.

Try writing a letter to the police yourself (in Spanish of course) telling them of the situation & get your lawyer to deliver it. A comment as to your nationality, the strong possibility of your nations Embassy getting involved should be made in the letter AND, if possible, add two or three high powered local names - your husband MUST know some people prepared to speak up for him!!

Hust as a point of interest, how long have you been married? How long have you known this man who is now your husband? It is possible that there is more afoot here than you realise - I hope not, but it IS a possibility.

Good luck - Grahame Bush.

J

Joachim

Not to mention that once he has a criminal record his chances of immigrating are very slim.

H

helen

Thanks to all for responding...Jim, for your insight into the situation. Grahame, for your suggestions. I will certainly keep all in mind...hoping that this incident will never be repeated but, one can't say for certain when it comes to the internal affairs of the DR. In response to your query, Grahame...been married now for 2 yrs and are expecting our first child in late Sept. Husband's visa process has been taking ages due to the fact that they lost his file once in Haiti. He was on his way home from work when they napped him in the street. He made the mistake of not keeping a relative's phone # with him at all times so the only person he could call was me. The minute they heard him calling his wife in Canada, the lawyer's fee doubled. I am just really frustrated with the blatant corruption that goes on in most factors of the government there. Again, thanks to all for your suggestions.
Joachim, I was assured by the lawyer that there were no charges laid in my husband's case...Hopefully, they are truthful in this instance.

J

Joachim

What about when the ask for a police report or Documento de Buena conducta? I had to provide the same report for my wife, who is Dominican. I would get your husband to check first