Constanza San Jose de Ococa road

Aug 19, 2004
We are visiting the DR in February and would like to do the trip from San Jose de Ocoa to Constanza. Have seen a recent trip report here and it looks fantastic.

What state is the road in? Is it passable with a 4 wheel drive? What vehicle would you recommend to hire?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
Did the trip last year around this time in a ford explorer. Not 4wd but plenty of clearance and I would suggest something similar. Some sort of truck would do as well if you don't need the passenger room. Good luck, it is a beautiful journey with many awesome photo ops :)

perlamarinajoe

Mar 16, 2009
road not passable

Did the trip last year around this time in a ford explorer. Not 4wd but plenty of clearance and I would suggest something similar. Some sort of truck would do as well if you don't need the passenger room. Good luck, it is a beautiful journey with many awesome photo ops :)

--??

i biked the road from constanza to san jose to ocoa in september and you could get as far as the campground with a 4x4 but the road was closed after that, we could do it on bicycles but there were huge areas of washouts,

i doubt its been fixed since september because there large long sections of washout.

campground was nice and friendly though