Vonage anyone?

turksman

Mar 14, 2005
Can anyone tell me where I would be able to buy a Vonage device in Santo Domingo? You know the ones that allow you to make free calls to the US and Canada. Thanks!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I don't know about anyone selling Vonage in the DR, but a lot of places sell Magic Jack. Works very well from the DR to US and vice versa. Check with computer stores on this. In the US the new Magic Jack is $60, here about $100.

If you buy one there are two models. The Original and the Magic Jack Plus. The only difference is that with the plus you only need a computer to set it up, and then you can plug it into your router without a computer and it will work. The Original is less money, but works the same. Only it needs to be plugged into a working computer.

turksman

Mar 14, 2005
That sounds good but the problem with Magicjack is that it can't do call forwarding anymore and I need to have calls forwarded to my DR cell phone.

turksman

Mar 14, 2005
It does and I had it but the cost per minute for the forward plus the amount of rings it makes is way too much and my clients were getting frustrated.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
I can vouch for this alternative option:-

Truphone

I have this on my iPhone and you can call main line numbers around the world free and their rates for mobiles are extremely competitive. It works in WiFi zones and in 3G coverage. I use Orange here and they have approximately 80% G3 coverage of the country

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We've been using NetTalk Duo for 2 years very successfully.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
For anyone who has a Magic Jack, there is a new Magic Jack app that runs on Android (newer versions) and I phones. It allows you to make MJ calls via WiFi using your regular MJ number. If you have WiFi at home that eliminates the need to have the original Magic Jack plugged into a computer.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
For anyone who has a Magic Jack, there is a new Magic Jack app that runs on Android (newer versions) and I phones. It allows you to make MJ calls via WiFi using your regular MJ number. If you have WiFi at home that eliminates the need to have the original Magic Jack plugged into a computer.

This has been out awhile. I have been using the app for IOS, but from what I understand the app for Android does not work well and drains the battery as it won't shut down. But I have not tried it yet.

Also be aware that once you get this app you cannot change the original settings, even if you uninstall it and re install it. You can install it with your MJ number, or a free number. But the free one can make calls, but is next to impossible to receive any.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.magicjack&feature=search_result#?t=W10.

This is the link for the Android version.

Jenny429

Oct 10, 2005
We have a vonage box here, no idea where it came from or if you can use it. I use OOMA and have had it for a few years in the states before moving here, I love Ooma :)