Driving directions to Punta Rusia/Paradise Island

Jessiejayne

May 17, 2010
Looking for updated road conditions and driving directions to Punta Rusia, specifically wanting to take a boat to Paradise Island/Cayo Arena.
Thanks in advance!
JJ

Jessiejayne

May 17, 2010
ha sorry, that would have been good information. We are coming from Sosua, we know how to get to Luperon but haven't been beyond that.
Thanks!

Winlab

Sep 19, 2005
Driving to Punta Rucia

ha sorry, that would have been good information. We are coming from Sosua, we know how to get to Luperon but haven't been beyond that.
Thanks!

There's a great new road all the way to Punta Rucia. From the main Puerto Plata / Imbert Road, turn right towards Luperon. Approx 15 km is the turn off for El Estrecho (also marked for Punta Rucia). Turn left, go over the new bridge to a "T" junction, and turn right to Isabela. From Isabela you are 23 km from Punta Rucia. Head towards Estero Hondo (15km), then towards Ensenada beach. The paved road ends at Ensenada beach and Punta Rucia is a further 3km. My information is that they plan to complete the paved road from Ensenada to Punta Rucia in January, coinciding with the opening of Punta Rucia Lodge, a new French resort. There's a few places to stay in Punta Rucia - Villanadine (luxury villa rental), Villa Rosa, Corales, Casa Libre (B&B), Tortuga (basic accommodation). There's three different tour companies to get you out to Paradise Island. Or you could save the gas and hassle and buy one of the Tours from Sosua. Either way, worth a visit

Jessiejayne

May 17, 2010
Thanks for the directions! Just one more question, will the entrance to Ensenada beach be where we can get a local to take us to Paradise Island by boat?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
No. When the good road ends, you will be going to the left from the entrance to La Ensenada. Follow this dusty/muddy road all the way through the village. (By the way, there is a guy whose name I can't recall, but will find out if you give me a chance, who takes people to Cayo Arena (the real name of the place) but if you what the tours.._)

As you come out the other side of the village, there is a tiny opening on the right. Take it and go in about 150-200 yards. On your right is the Paradise Tours Headquarters. Walk in and see about going out to the Cayo.

Those are pretty good directions, BTW, Well done. When you turn off to El Estrecho, look for signs that talk about El Ranchito...the bridge comes as a surprise!...nice roads, too...
On the far end on Estero Hondo (watch out for the speed mountains!!!) you will go to the right. There is a sigh that
says PUNTA RUCIA =>

HB

Jessiejayne

May 17, 2010
Thanks! We don't want the tour which is why I am asking about directions and finding a boat to take us out there. My husband is Dominican so I think once we find it we shouldn't have to much problems hiring a local to get us there! Thanks to everyone for the info!
JJ

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I bringing this old thread back to life as it has good info to begin with. We are planning the same trip from Sosua to Punta Rusia and I wondered if the direction and road conditions given in this thread are still valid/okay.... !

(I recall reading somewhere that the bridge was not good and it is best not to go via La Isabela and go around !? Can't remember where and were I read it....)

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
....made that trip last year....most of the hotels have planned trips in a bus......I would look into that, try to go to cayo arena when there are few tourists there... gets very crowded.....in the bus trip you also get lunch and drinks, and a boat to the island.....

janlindy

Mar 8, 2011
we made this trip this year (august) from Luperon to Punta Rusia had a good pizza did not do the boat ride but it is offered. Roads we good no issues.

botemon

Jun 28, 2008
A little late to the party but......yes! No problem! Imbert to El Strecho, and from there Punta Roucia. The road between El Stecho and Via Isabella is getting bad....just watch for the pot holes. From Via Isabella to Ensenada Beach the road is still pretty good. At Ensenada beach as you turn right, the "parking lot" is on your left.....right on the road and they are now charging $100.00 pesos for the day. Right in front of that parking lot, right on the beach, there are lots of local boats to get you to Paradise Island. Have fun!!

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Quick feedback, the road from Imbert when turning right off the PP to Santiago road to El Estrecho is pretty bad, with bikes it's like those computer games as you try to avoid potholes. From El Estrecho to Luperon and La Isabela (the historic Colon place) it's perfect. But I still can't believe after all these years that I visited last, that piece of 400m or so road going down the hill to Luperon port where all the boats are, is still not asphalted (shame on you DR gov.. !).

From La Isabela (historica as they refer to) to Villa Isabela no tarmac and then you have two rivers to deal with, again terrible road but the rivers are another story. The first one is quite big (the huge bridge, long destroyed and left like it was bombed in a war), they tell me when the water is down SUV cars can cross further up the river, but bikes have to go one by one on a small raft and a guy pulling it along in knee/waist high water for 50p each. First it looks scary but not as bad as it actually is (well, not sure if you want to risk your US$10k Harley though). You and your bike are at the mercy of 6 large plastic cans !

Second one is rather a stream, and even my buddy on a pasola managed it, you just cross the water yourself, though no guarantee how it will be with more water, even now we got wet up to the knees trying to balance the bikes. (I probably backtrack to Luperon and Estrecho if I have to do it again).

Now from Villa Isabela to El Ensanada is a good road, with many villages and huge newly built speed bumps, watch out for people and cows and those bumps, but it is a nice ride. From Ensanada to Punta Rusia no tarmac again for a 2 or 3 kilometers stretch.

Not much to write about Punta Rusia, the beach looks good but has some weeds and rocks for swimming and zero visibility for snorkeling (I think the sand is like a fine powder and floats), mainly people come to go to the Cayo Arena island, not much else there. Some hotels on the beach and lots and lots of mosquitoes ... (I had never had so many red spots on my leg, I usually don't have these spots from mozy bites, must have been some super types - lucky we had mozy nets for sleeping).

Back to Villa Isabela and going through the other (side) road to El Estrecho, the road is better than El Estrecho to Imbert, but then again watch out for some nasty holes there.

Just also mention a quick reference to Miamon to Puerto Plata stretch that after 5 years still not finished, I reckon another 5 years in order - same theme around these parts with road construction....