Scotiabank ATM in Sosua

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
Just found out that there is now a Scotiabank ATM in Sosua, inside the Metro bus station / pharmacy. Great, we think. No more driving to Cabarete. It is clearly marked/labelled as a Scotiabank machine. We make a normal withdrawal. Get home to check it online - $5.00 service charge. Called Scotiabank Canada. They had no clue. We even tried to give them the ATM terminal number - sorry - can't help you - you'll have to talk to Scotiabank in the DR. LOL :laugh::laugh::laugh:

The same day - earlier in the day - same withdrawal amount in Cabarete - no charge ( as always ).

The only thing different is this machine is "free standing" and not in or attached to an actual Scotiabank office.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Mulled Wine --
I would ask at the Cabarete branch..... might be a fake,

I drive to Nagua or Cabarete to get to a Scotia....... 40 min or 50 minutes
If the gas is too much - I pay the cambio fee locally..... cheaper that way.

Life in the fast lane here folks..... high finance stuff

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
Life in the fast lane here folks..... high finance stuff

I know $5.00 doesn't sound like much - especially for those on vacation, not making a lot of withdrawals. But if you're living here and withdrawing from CDN funds on a regular basis - it adds up quickly over the course of a year.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I know $5.00 doesn't sound like much - especially for those on vacation, not making a lot of withdrawals. But if you're living here and withdrawing from CDN funds on a regular basis - it adds up quickly over the course of a year.

Establish a relationship with a cambista that will cash your CDN check at the prevailing tasa with no fees!

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
Establish a relationship with a cambista that will cash your CDN check at the prevailing tasa with no fees!

Canadian Scotiabank withdrawals at any Scotiabank or Bank of America ATM are ALWAYS no fees !
Never seen an exception to this anywhere here, in Canada or in the USA
( Except at this machine, apparently )

curious29

Sep 20, 2012
got similar issue with Scotia in Santiago. yesterday withdrew pesos from one f my cards without fee and excellent interbank exchange ratio (no losses)...today, on different card, at the same ATM 110 pesos fee appeared...Plus 3 % loss in exchange rate....****ty card from ****ty bank, daylight robbery

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I plan as well as I can to pass by the Cabarete bank... if not, I drive to Nagua.

TT's suggestion of the cambio is BY FAR the best way to go.

$5??? If it costs more than $5 in gas ( one gallon) to do the trip, you're wasting money.
Go the cambio route... faster cheaper

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
Apparently everyone thinks this is about the $5.00!!! After 6 years of having no fees at any Scotia Bank in any country or Bank of America in the US...... my question is why? Not a fake machine.... got my money, printed receipt, etc etc etc!!!
Has anyone else been charged this fee, using a Scotiabank card???? with a Canadian account??? I don't need a cambista!!! and if I do I have one!! I live 3 minutes from the ATM in Sosua... and prefer not to have to go to Cabarete....
Faster, cheaper? not sure what is cheaper than free but however that must have gotten lost somewhere. Thanks for all of your input and views, now it would be great if anyone else has experienced what we did!!!

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
This happened to me in santo Domingo in Sambil. Called BofA and they removed the fees (3 withdrawals, 5 dollar per transaction + a commission. My guess was that being a brand new ATM, they were not yet connected to the correct network.

Another thing I experienced that in weekends sometimes I get very bad rates , around 39,50, while in te week it's about 40,20.

snoozer

Jan 22, 2004
Just found out that there is now a Scotiabank ATM in Sosua, inside the Metro bus station / pharmacy. Great, we think. No more driving to Cabarete. It is clearly marked/labelled as a Scotiabank machine. We make a normal withdrawal. Get home to check it online - $5.00 service charge. Called Scotiabank Canada. They had no clue. We even tried to give them the ATM terminal number - sorry - can't help you - you'll have to talk to Scotiabank in the DR. LOL :laugh::laugh::laugh:

The same day - earlier in the day - same withdrawal amount in Cabarete - no charge ( as always ).

The only thing different is this machine is "free standing" and not in or attached to an actual Scotiabank office.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I used the ATM in Sosua over ten times in the last month and assumed that as it is a Scotia Bank machine there would be not charges. On checking my account I find charges for each withdrawal when I used the ATM in Sosua, while at the main branch in Pto Pta there were no charges. I will be calling my bank in Canada to see what can be done.

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I used the ATM in Sosua over ten times in the last month and assumed that as it is a Scotia Bank machine there would be not charges. On checking my account I find charges for each withdrawal when I used the ATM in Sosua, while at the main branch in Pto Pta there were no charges. I will be calling my bank in Canada to see what can be done.

Exactly. thanks for "getting" the point of this thread.

Let us know how you make out with "customer service" in Canada.

snoozer

Jan 22, 2004
Have used the ATM at Metro with no problems. Very curious. Problems that Cabarete Scotia has had is - NO RECEIPTS many times and partly NOT working other times. Today at 3 PM. None worked.
It worked perfectly for me every time. The maximum amount per withdrawal is 10,000 pesos.

I am in Pto Pta often enough that I could have pulled out 20,000 pesos each time I was there and avoided the $ 5.00 charge.

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
Have used the ATM at Metro with no problems. Very curious. Problems that Cabarete Scotia has had is - NO RECEIPTS many times and partly NOT working other times. Today at 3 PM. None worked.

yes - we know it works. The question is - if you have used a Scotiabank Canada card - and did not pay the $5.00 charge at other Scotiabank machines - did they charge you the $5.00 at this Scotiabank machine ?

Perhaps, as someone else has suggested, this is a "new machine" that is somehow not recognized by their system, and thus the charge.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It may be that Scotia hs leased the ATM kiosk to an independent who is not connected to the sysytem and who is allowed to charge a fee.

Many bars/strip joints/check cashers have ATM's and they set a fee for useage.

Bernardo

Mar 2, 2005

I don't want to sound dumb here but what ever happened to the Scotiabank in Sosua, on Pedro Clisante, just down the street from Club Residential? Have they closed the bank or the ATM there? We have used it for years and have never had any problems.