Passport for car rental deposit??

pinyon

Jan 17, 2012
Do all car rental dealers want to keep your original passport as a deposit until the car is returned?

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
a copy yes but the original maybe for a motorcycle but like the other poster a credit card is all thats needed because the card has a secret insurance on it for cars that you can end up paying thousands for a accident but all ways get the insurance

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
It's been said before but it hasn't been said enough, NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER GIVE YOUR PASSPORT TO ANYONE! A normal passport on the black market is worth between US$5000-10,000, not to mention the headache you'll have if they "misplace it".

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Make a color photocopy of your passport with drivers license right below it. Cut it out and then laminate it with those flexible sheets with maybe a 5mm clear border. Folded over it makes a fine cash wallet for your pocket, $$$ and ID in the same place.

pinyon

Jan 17, 2012
So, after three seemingly very sketchy car rental encounters I have gotten my passport back from the guy I rented a car from. When I rented the car he told me that I had to pay cash. I went to get the cash, thinking he would give my passport back when I paid him - as I had the car. He then told me that, no, they have to hold it as a deposit. This is a well respected guy in Sosua and I am renting the car for two months. I had my friend call him up to tell him I had to have my passport back and I showed up with two of my friends. He gave me the passport back. I am usually very attentive but this country is throwing me for a loop. I had told him that he could have a copy in the beginning but he said no. Today, he took a copy. I think I got lucky on this one.

Dec 26, 2011
So, after three seemingly very sketchy car rental encounters I have gotten my passport back from the guy I rented a car from. When I rented the car he told me that I had to pay cash. I went to get the cash, thinking he would give my passport back when I paid him - as I had the car. He then told me that, no, they have to hold it as a deposit. This is a well respected guy in Sosua and I am renting the car for two months. I had my friend call him up to tell him I had to have my passport back and I showed up with two of my friends. He gave me the passport back. I am usually very attentive but this country is throwing me for a loop. I had told him that he could have a copy in the beginning but he said no. Today, he took a copy. I think I got lucky on this one.

You paid cash up front, in full? That's what I do. And I get full coverage, taxes, everything, for 35$/day. Never ask me for anything other than the info I put on the rental agreement. Cash is king. In RD, it's God Almighty.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
You paid cash up front, in full? That's what I do. And I get full coverage, taxes, everything, for 35$/day. Never ask me for anything other than the info I put on the rental agreement. Cash is king. In RD, it's God Almighty.

I caught that, so you worship currency?
Don't let "You-Know-Who" get wind of this, they might start an off topic thread on this.

Terrible Tambo'

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Don't let "You-Know-Who" get wind of this, they might start an off topic thread on this.

Terrible Tambo'
Well, God's Acolytes like cash, too.

Who doesn't?

pinyon

Jan 17, 2012
AND... I can tell you that none of their relatives look anything like me AND.... I don't look like a sex tourist!! I used to think I was discerning but..... can't figure this place out. I 100% trust the two people who recommended him (they have no connection to each other) and his business. I think he was trying to protect himself from sketchy tourists but....am 100% confused. I don't like being confused. :)

Dec 26, 2011

Terrible Tambo'

I don't worship it. I get it off my hands as quickly as possible. :)

But the paisito with reference to God and a Bible on its flag? They worship $$$$$.

pinyon

Jan 17, 2012
I was thinking they were old fat guys or old fat women or skanky looking middle aged men.

pinyon

Jan 17, 2012
Ummm, sorry for the quick response. Old, fat, and guy does not qualify for sex tourist.

pinyon

Jan 17, 2012
All of the people who finance this industry sicken me. I do not for one minute judge the people who in my opinion are the victims of this perversion.