Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Overnight Tours: Your Opinion

Advertiser
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Overnight Tours: Your Opinion

Hello All,

We are toying with the idea of offering overnight tours from Punta Cana hotels. We were interested in offering two hotels/areas to begin: Paraíso Caño Hondo in Los Haitises National Park and Rancho Baiguate in Jarabacoa. Both these hotels offer a large contrast to Punta Cana resorts and have plenty of things to do in the surrounding area.

I am posting this because I was hoping to get some feedback since there are a couple issues we are dealing with:

1. Our market is US and Canada and I do not know if individuals will want to spend two days, 1 night away from an AI resort they have already paid for.

2. These tours would be expensive for couples but reasonable for groups. So, we will look to sell to either groups or let clients choose a date and then we can promote when we have individuals going on the tour so others can join in and lower the price.

It costs us nothing to load new tours to our website and we are always striving to be innovative. Any feedback from individuals who have visited Punta Cana would be greatly appreciated.
    Punta Cana Destination Management Company
    http://dr1.com/directories/Caribbean-Dream.html

Post Thanks / Like

Why not? An overnight stay might make for a more relaxing and slower paced tour. It's a break from the constant go.

Moderator dr1.com

http://www.partidoesperanzademocratica.org/sitio/

Estoy con Ramfis 2020

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, why not, give it a spin.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure...

Back in "the old days" being involved with tours I remember most people wanted to be back in the Hotel for their AI dinner...

They liked to be a day out of the Hotel but not a night...

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by caribmike View Post
    Not sure...

Back in "the old days" being involved with tours I remember most people wanted to be back in the Hotel for their AI dinner...

They liked to be a day out of the Hotel but not a night...
    Agreed, I was a tour guide in the National Park for over 3yrs and most people would plan their day around the food schedule. I'm not saying its impossible, but it may be tough.
    We had a Monte Christi overnight tour (subsidized by the National Park) that worked out ok, but we were promoting it in a non-all inclusive.
    Selling to a AI may be tough, but like they say: "Its better to try and not succeed, than not try at all." Good luck, sounds pretty good.

Post Thanks / Like

But the package would include their supper at CH or RB. There will be a segment that will find the prospect of staying at somewhere like Caño Hondo irresistible!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

"The people I have met who have enuff money to go to the AIs seem to have unlimited bucks and will fall for most anything." Disagree - the USP of Punta Cana is the fact it is cheap and you can have "luxury" on a budget. Many people who come here pay for the holiday in advance and then spend very little in the country. IMO the business will be relatively small get back for the evening buffet and free booze will be a significant factor. Another option could be an over night stay in the Zona Colonial.

8. Likes Criss Colon, John Boyter liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

The "Lure" of the "AIs", not unlike a "cruise", is that you know before you go the amount of money you will spend.
    Sure there are a lot of "Extras", both mandatory,Tips, etc. and optional,tours can add hundreds of dollars more, but you are not forced to take any tours.In my experience, the "AI Crowd" are not big on leaving the hotel.
    But keeep us informed.
    CC

10. Likes John Boyter, redserge liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I would think you would have more luck with tourists who rent an apartment or condo and come for stays of a couple of weeks to a month.

A lot of the people we met at the various places we've stayed don't rent cars but would like to see more of the country than just Punta Cana. These tourists enjoyed the all day excursions that the property managers set up... Trips to Isla Saona, Boca de Yuma and shorter shopping runs to the Jumbo in La Romana. We could have packed them in on our overnight trips if we'd wanted to.

I would suggest finding the managers of multiple properties and letting them know of your tours. That's where I think your customers will come from.

12. Likes ben jammin, KateP liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I get requests for day trips all the time. When I explain they'd need to spend a night in Jarabacoa, 100% of the time the answer is "but I've already paid for the AI..."

Keep in mind the DR mainly attracts budget tourists anyway.

14. Likes ben jammin liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast