Prices in the New Year

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Today we were in Santiago. Between there & Jarabacoa we stopped in 3 grocery stores: La Sirena on the autopista and the two largest in Jarabacoa.

In all 3 stores there were crews with those plastic label makers going in every aisle zapping cans, bags and boxes. Everything was getting new prices.

We picked up a few normal items: bread, juices, some canned sauces and veggies, cheese, etc.

The prices from last week are definitely higher. Rica sin OJ is RD$120, up from 105 last week! Bread RD$145, up from 125 last week! Everything cost more!

I wonder how long before the poor folks who buy one egg and onion at a time at the colmado are going to feel the new pinch?

We should have a poll: when will the tire burning start?

eastcoastmike

Jul 18, 2004
Tell me about it.Presidente normal from 50 to 75 pesos!After the festive mood settles people will no doubt react!!!!

Bob Boyd

Feb 3, 2004
I went to Playero tonight for a 250g President butter that was RD146 last week and tonight it was RD168. Other items were noticeably higher.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
The price increase is really going to hurt Dominicans.Many are having a hard time as it is trying
to make ends meet.Nothing good will come of this.There's only so much they can take.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
those are pretty big increases percentage wise. prices usually are raised a little at a time... less noticeable that way.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yet the big chains are saying that they will eat the 2% and 8% tax increases....let's see how they do that...

Today's Diario Libre headlines a story on that.

HB

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
Yet the big chains are saying that they will eat the 2% and 8% tax increases....let's see how they do that...

Today's Diario Libre headlines a story on that.

HB

Sure they will, that's why my receipt from Nacional and Bravo shows the 18% tax on items I bought yesterday.

"R"

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
"The reform applies a 1% tax on all properties whose consolidated worth is of RD$6.5 million or higher,"

How many people own land and have no cash? Like to see when the first "empresarios" come and take advantage of their situation after the taxman was there...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Today we were in Santiago. Between there & Jarabacoa we stopped in 3 grocery stores: La Sirena on the autopista and the two largest in Jarabacoa.

In all 3 stores there were crews with those plastic label makers going in every aisle zapping cans, bags and boxes. Everything was getting new prices.

We picked up a few normal items: bread, juices, some canned sauces and veggies, cheese, etc.

The prices from last week are definitely higher. Rica sin OJ is RD$120, up from 105 last week! Bread RD$145, up from 125 last week! Everything cost more!

I wonder how long before the poor folks who buy one egg and onion at a time at the colmado are going to feel the new pinch?

We should have a poll: when will the tire burning start?

cobraboy, you are an economist, so correct me if i am wrong. the solution to the economic malaise is not a massive tax increase. the government should have focused, primarily, on spending cuts. a country of 9 million people should not have 650,000 government employees. the head of the Central Bank should not be earning a higher salary that the POTUS. the deficits that the country is experiencing did not arise from revenue shortfalls, but from spending overruns. therefore, if that aspect goes unattended, no amount of tax revenue will fix the situation. over to you.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
and i am sure they are losing nothing there because they buy so much at a time they can force low prices on their suppliers. plus they have enough storage to stock up on stuff at the old price.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
From yesterday's DR1 News:
Some retailers say they will eat tax increases

If you have lemons, make lemonade is an old saying. The Dominican variation, as seen in several advertisements, is for some of the nation's retailers to absorb the recent tax increases, at least for the time being. Several companies and traders announced separately that in order to ease pressure on their customers' wallets, they would absorb the 2% VAT (ITBIS) increase and the 8% tax levied on mass consumption products and approved with the tax reform law during the month of January (others said all year long).

The first company to announce this initiative was Bravo Supermarkets with their Saturday 29 December announcement that "prices would remain the same even with the ITBIS increase that goes into effect on 1 January" and they promised to freeze prices of more than 8,000 products until 31 January.

In the meantime, La Sirena (Pola), in a paid advertisement that appears in today's press, Wednesday 2 January, says that "none of the food products would increase in price in our stores because of the ITBIS during the month of January." They said that some 662 articles on their list of food products would have been affected by the 8% ITBIS tax, including oil, sugar, coffee, cocoa, butter, margarine and yogurt.

At the same time, Delta Comercial, S.A. told its customers and business contacts in another paid announcement that they would also absorb the increase in the ITBIS in all its parts departments and repair shops for all of 2013.

Helados Bon have also published that "we will maintain the same prices with the same quality" and that they would increase their love but not their prices.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
"My teaching of history tells me that all bad government, comes from too much government" Thomas Jefferson

apply it to the US, DR, etc....

and it always gets bigger, never smaller.

May 12, 2005
Here is an ad from La Sirena today;

A_sYHYoCYAE_0Cd.jpg:large

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
well, there's a solution, especially for those who have a garden: grow your own fruits and vegs, get hens for eggs. For cooking oil, you can use some flesh from papaye or avocado, its quite oily and much healthier than crap oil you buy in supermarkets. For sugar, grow a few sugar canes, you can also use cocount milk... Gasolina is up, why not get a bicycle, quite healthy as well... Either adapt or die, just kidding... :)