Ladrones??

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Headed to SDQ tomorrow,but will be arriving in the evening. Have there been recent reports of bandits/muggers on the road to the capital?

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
There are muggings all the time, just don't tell too many people that you are coming and use only registered taxis.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Best route is head up onto Autopiste San Isidro on Ave G de G and in via Duerte, too much going on on this route they need to keep things flowing and so no hassle.
If you need a cab then call one and have them sent out rather than wave one down. If you must wave a cab down then know your way and make sure he sticks to it.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Are you coming in on a flight tomorrow night or leaving from SDQ tomorrow night? Your wording is confusing. If you are flying into Las Americas tomorrow night grab an authorized taxi at the airport. The only problem on the roads into the city might be any police road blocks and normally you don't see these until you get off the auto route. I wouldn't get overly worried about bandits. I have driven to the airport at all times of the day and night and never experienced any problems. Good luck.

LTSteve

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Ask the taxi fare, BEFOR you agree to take the taxi.
"La Tarifa Por favor????"
About 12 to 15 hundred pesos from SDQ airport into SD.
Depends on the time, more at night.
Cris colon

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
Are you coming in on a flight tomorrow night or leaving from SDQ tomorrow night? Your wording is confusing. If you are flying into Las Americas tomorrow night grab an authorized taxi at the airport. The only problem on the roads into the city might be any police road blocks and normally you don't see these until you get off the auto route. I wouldn't get overly worried about bandits. I have driven to the airport at all times of the day and night and never experienced any problems. Good luck.

LTSteve

I agree with LTSteve. As you come out of the airport building, go to your left and you will see the registered taxis lined up on the side of the road. There is a man sitting in a chair who is in charge. You go to him and ask him "cuanto cuesta or cual es la tarifa para Santo Domingo". He will get a cab for you.

We never travel at night in the DR but if you have no choice, than you have to do it.

jackichan

Bronze
Jun 23, 2011
And don't hand him the money TILL you reach your destination. I once paid this guy - he demanded all $$$and got aggressive, well, he drove halfway and put me on another beatup ride for a cheaper price. I was in prayer through the whole journey

Jan 22, 2010
just take a cab and pay price 1200 to 1500 pesos, not all dominican workers are thieves and i would say more they are not thieves but situation is sooooo bad that even I would ask a bit more when I am in need for food like I am now
T.E.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Thanx, all for the advice. Just returned back to miami. As it turned out the missus arrived at the airport with her sobrino, who happens to be a taxi driver. The entire event was uneventful (discounting the long hot wait in the US embassy). the downside is that i feel the sobrino sees me as a walking ATM machine. Nuff said.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Only reason I went,was cause I was required to be present at the visa interview. couldn't get outta the sh#$hole capital fast enuf

NaguaRick

Jun 26, 2013
Only reason I went,was cause I was required to be present at the visa interview. couldn't get outta the sh#$hole capital fast enuf
Yea I cannot stand the capitol either. Traffic,pollution,ladrones,higher prices. Put me on the beach or up in the mountains.

valeri

Feb 3, 2014
Yea I cannot stand the capitol either. Traffic,pollution,ladrones,higher prices. Put me on the beach or up in the mountains.

I do not think crime level in this country is high either. Just avoid wrong places and wrong situations!

localhistorybuff

Aug 6, 2013
Valeri, with all due respect, you're new to the board. It might behoove you to search for DV8's postings here, not to scare you, but to enlighten you to use due diligence and to be aware of your surroundings in all situations.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You can't, "Avoid Crime" here in the DR!!!
You don't need to go looking for trouble, Trouble will come looking for YOU!
When I arrived here in 1986, a tourist could walk the streets at 3 am, with dollar bills hanging out of their pockets!
In the last 10 years, crime has increased.
In the last 5 years, crime has gotten out of control due to the DR becoming a base for international drug cartels using it as a base for not only international distribution, but big sales to Dominican users as well.
Just like in "Transylvania", don't go out at night in the DR!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
He didn't follow "Valerie's" advice.
He MUST have not "Avoided bad places, and/or Situations"!!!
The ONLY way to do THAT in the DR, is to "NOT COME" to the DR!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

localhistorybuff

Aug 6, 2013
Cris, you still roar, so proof is in the pudding that crime is not inevitable. All the moderating you do of the wise words of caution here have done you some good subconsciously, LOL - absorption through osmosis.