Busted with Lemons at POP!!

Left on Red

Mar 10, 2012
Got busted smuggling a dozen lemons into POP yesterday!! Confiscated!!

(They also caught us with a TV and toaster, but really I am only saddened about my lemons)-lol

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
whaaat!? coming from where?
i fly with so much contraband i am practically clandestine goddess. you made me worry now!

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Too funny.................I once got busted in YUL for smuggling "limones" from the D.R.
You gotta love it....
One man's treasure is another man's trash.
ain't life grand.:paranoid:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i do not personal search, they can even touch my melons, as long as they do not put a finger on my luggage... :)
my policy is to take a carry on from DR to europe and then on a way back i have maletas full of brand new purchases. clothing, cosmetics and food. mainly food. lots of it.

Feb 7, 2007
Best rule of thumb to not get searched at customs (minimize the chance, at least) is to push your trolley behind/along a family of many, and behave like you belong with them. It works.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
If your luggage is quite heavy,they will do a search.That's what happened to me.
A special sticker was put on one of my suitcases that said heavy and I was instructed
to open my suitcase while a search was conducted.I had alot of canned goods and
baking goods and equipment.Nothing was confiscated.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Best rule of thumb to not get searched at customs (minimize the chance, at least) is to push your trolley behind/along a family of many, and behave like you belong with them. It works.

You are so right. I have done this many times coming into Santo Domingo. I have also passed a few bucks to the guy helping me with my luggage and for some reason we always breeze right through. My spouses cousin worked at the airport in Santo Domingo and he was telling us that some of the guys that help with luggage have certain custom agents they work with, split some of their tips with in order to just move someone through the line without being stopped.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Got busted smuggling a dozen lemons into POP yesterday!! Confiscated!!

(They also caught us with a TV and toaster, but really I am only saddened about my lemons)-lol

I have a deal with customs and now I buy my lemons directly from them and they kept the toaster.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
You are so right. I have done this many times coming into Santo Domingo. I have also passed a few bucks to the guy helping me with my luggage and for some reason we always breeze right through. My spouses cousin worked at the airport in Santo Domingo and he was telling us that some of the guys that help with luggage have certain custom agents they work with, split some of their tips with in order to just move someone through the line without being stopped.

for some reason? the coin, of course!

jaxter

Aug 24, 2012
I would never take anything through the airport that im not willing to lose by overcharging, if the tip do not work they can have it.

Jax

Left on Red

Mar 10, 2012
We were trying to not get searched! lol. It was actually the first time we ever got stopped. Normally, our MO is to not make eye contact, and breeze right by them. I told mi espouso that he was getting too cocky. He had way too much stuff this time; 3 HUGE bags, weighing too much (as bronzeallspice pointed out), and didn't even hide the TV in the 'secret compartment'. That, and for some reason there were about 15 agents in suits yesterday. It was quite a lot of commotion!!

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
Oh dear, sorry about your bad luck. What airport were you flying in from?

I ask because we need to bring in some stuff soon, and we have not been looked at much at POP for a long time. Suits around customs in POP is unusual.

What size of TV? Really nice one or average? And toaster? Cheapy or fancy? We could live with the $100, but wouldn't want to pay more....actually just want to not deal with those jokers.
100 bucks for the T.V. and toaster. A combo deal. :)

Left on Red

Mar 10, 2012
What did they do concerning the TV and Toaster???

Oh dear, sorry about your bad luck. What airport were you flying in from? Jetblue JFK-POP

I ask because we need to bring in some stuff soon, and we have not been looked at much at POP for a long time. Suits around customs in POP is unusual. I agree. Perhaps they were awaiting someone else?

What size of TV? Really nice one or average? And toaster? Cheapy or fancy? We could live with the $100, but wouldn't want to pay more....actually just want to not deal with those jokers.
TV-$300-30" Samsung; Toaster-maybe 20 bucks-both from Amazon. We wouldn't have paid too much more, obviously. All in all, they were quite nice. They were not concerned with the following; a router, satellite finder, usual personal gadgetry (Macbooks, Bose headphones, I-pod, etc.), 22lbs of great organic steaks, 10lb bucket of stainless steel screws, some fancy cheeses, duct tape, Dewalt drill, flashlights, batteries, books, and on. But they took my gosh darned lemons!!!!

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
TV-$300-30" Samsung; Toaster-maybe 20 bucks-both from Amazon. We wouldn't have paid too much more, obviously. All in all, they were quite nice. They were not concerned with the following; a router, satellite finder, usual personal gadgetry (Macbooks, Bose headphones, I-pod, etc.), 22lbs of great organic steaks, 10lb bucket of stainless steel screws, some fancy cheeses, duct tape, Dewalt drill, flashlights, batteries, books, and on. But they took my gosh darned lemons!!!!

What a bunch of idiots!! You had so many goods worth taking and all they took were your lemons! :rolleyes::D

But I guess for you it was a good thing.:classic:

Como_un_cameron

Jan 8, 2011
Mike is greasing palms, in exchange for lemons.
I get it!

But since everybody at the airport is my friend.... I only have to pay when I leave ;)

Jan 17, 2009
X Rays

They have an x ray machine in POP now. It wasn't working when I arrived last week, and my bags got searched too. I heard that when it is working, any large suitcase goes through the machine.

How much did you have to pay to get your TV back? I need to being one soon.