Road Hazard Report

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

[h=5]A few months ago it was a herd of horses that caused danger for traffic passing through. There were a dozen horses roaming the verges of the road through Sos?a filling their bellies with the tall grass growing there. Although they were shy and extremely careful crossing the streets, yet they came into collision with the speeding traffic. This was fatal for the driver and the horse!
Now there is a herd of cows roaming the verges of the road causing danger. They have been spotted mainly in the area of the neighborhood of La Uni?n. The owner of the animals is officially unknown, but insiders know his name and address.[/h]
[h=5]Especially drivers of public transport (taxis publico and quaqua's) complain seriously about cows suddenly crossing or walking in the middle of the road. They fear again for collisions with serious injury or wors[/h]

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Steal one of the cows and you will find out who the owner is real fast!! Of course you can have your lawyer there who can claim that the animal was a public hazard and that there was no owner...by law the animal is yours!!! (Not an official lawyer so check it out)...if the "owner" insists, swear out a complaint for "public endangerment" by not having his animals tied up!!.

HB

james

Jan 14, 2002
Except this time it is many times worse than before and some of the horses get spooked and run out into the highway much faster then the cows.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Last night, at about 9:30, there was a lone horse meandering down the center of the highway between Sosua and Cabarete...it was a very dark horse on a very dark stretch of road...luckily I was paying FULL attention or I would have surely hit it as it was just out of the line of my headlights just as it could have been too late to avoid it...

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Steal one of the cows and you will find out who the owner is real fast!! Of course you can have your lawyer there who can claim that the animal was a public hazard and that there was no owner...by law the animal is yours!!! (Not an official lawyer so check it out)...if the "owner" insists, swear out a complaint for "public endangerment" by not having his animals tied up!!.

HB

Haha.. you're so Dominican.. btw, thanks so much for the recommendation to Robinson Abreu at Corominas.. I haven't been so happy with the DR until I met him.. humble, respectful, and a ton of knowledge to boot.. don't think I'll be going back to homs.. anyways, sorry for going off topic..

On topic: I remember the first time I did the La Vega to Constanza route on my DT, with my buddy on the back probably 10 years ago or so.. I remember seeing a bunch of turkeys/ganzos/gallos etc on the route and I told my buddy.. I wonder who owns all these animals that just roam the streets, he laughs and just says.. go ahead and try to steal one of em and you'll find out real quick!

pdmlynek

Sep 27, 2012
I am with cobraboy and derfish on this. I am not sure why this is news. Aren't domestic animals road hazard just a part of everyday life in DR? Was it just a slow day at Sosua News, or what? Next thing you know, Sosua News will be telling us that water is wet or fire is hot.

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
Next thing you know, Sosua News will be telling us that water is wet or fire is hot.

Depending on the circumstances, Water can wet down a fire, or fire can make water hot.

It's good to know that certain areas are more prone to animals on the road.
Knowing a particular area is prone to animals in the roadway is better then not expecting it.

"R" (Because there are already too many Roberts, and Bobs on board)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the only time i ever saw the traffic slow down to snail pace to avoid something on the road was when a horse walked along manolo tavarez justo in POP. no one wanted to hit it, not because they felt sorry for the beast but because they felt sorry for their cars!
even miesposo said the drivers here slow down for cows and horses but not for humans.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I am with cobraboy and derfish on this. I am not sure why this is news. Aren't domestic animals road hazard just a part of everyday life in DR? Was it just a slow day at Sosua News, or what? Next thing you know, Sosua News will be telling us that water is wet or fire is hot.

A slow day at Sosua News? A driver was KILLED because of a roaming horse! That will make the news wherever you are!