Farmers' Market In Sosua?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

[h=5]In the local TV program OLA TV, residents of Sos?a called upon the municipal authorities. They asked the authorities for the establishment of a local market.[/h]

[h=5]On this market, farmers from the neighborhood can sell vegetables, fruits, milk, honey and milk products. It is known that the products offered in such a market are in the first place very fresh and second, much cheaper than in the supermarkets. The initiators of this plan Luis Hern?ndez Suero and Carlos G?mez, believe that this helps both the farmers and the (poor) consumers in Sos?a. Both men hope that in one of the town squares or parks of Sos?a the weekly market can be set up.[/h]

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
Yes, the government is also helping local people grow more food by distributing seeds etc. I suspect the shortage of dollars is leading to shortages in ships - imported milk powder, cut bread made with imported flour etc.

Also needed is local currencies to encouage people to buy within their communities.

BBC News - Paying with 'kisses' as Brazil?s social currencies spread

The setting up of farmers markets is very positive news! A little organisation, security is advantageous. Should reduce the import bill for food and oil since less transport should be necessary; also less unecessary refrigeration and lighting in supermarkets and the distribution chain.

yapask1

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
very doubtful

I have lived in France and England ; local markets there do an excellent job and supermarkets must have reduced volume and display space devoted to fresh produce that may have been transported from remote regions. Markets have very little use of power.

Growing spaces are important in cities and towns also and are widely regocnized for the contribution they make to reducing carbon emmissions and stimulating economy.

Capital Growth: The campaign for 2,012 new food growing spaces in London

yapask1

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
great news!
maybe, once they have closed PC to vehicular traffic, they could move the tables and chairs outta the way and use d'latin bar for the market?

Im sure willy would be happy with this plan :)

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
I have lived in France and England ; local markets there do an excellent job and supermarkets must have reduced volume and display space devoted to fresh produce that may have been transported from remote regions. Markets have very little use of power.

Growing spaces are important in cities and towns also and are widely regocnized for the contribution they make to reducing carbon emmissions and stimulating economy.

Capital Growth: The campaign for 2,012 new food growing spaces in London

yapask1

Umm.. go to the market in La Vega, absolutely amazing. It's almost laughable the prices charged at the supermarket after seeing the price direct from the producer. I'm talking HUGE bundles of cilantro are 15 pesos. The supermarket splits this bundle up at least 10 times and charges 15 pesos each. Lettuce is 10 pesos / lb. Just everything is ridiculously cheap and fresh.. If I could still live in La Vega, the market would definitely be one of the reasons why, though I need to be in Santiago for reliable internet/electricity/schools for kids etc. After saying that, the markets in DR have a LONG way to reach the level of markets in South America, variety, prices, cleanliness, efficiency are all MUCH better in Peru/Argentina. Maybe some day? :)

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
What would Playero do with all it's overpriced and many times poor quality produce????????????????????????????

Bob K

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Really I 'd be so pleased if that market could exist... So any way "we" could help it? Could the DR1 members sign a petition that could be brought to the city hall?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Really I 'd be so pleased if that market could exist... So any way "we" could help it? Could the DR1 members sign a petition that could be brought to the city hall?

To my knowledge residents are not allowed to be involved in politics. Only citizens are allowed to do that. Such a petition could be construed as a political action.