Is it possible to camp and walk down the coast without staying at hotels?

Jan 16, 2013
I will be in the country for 3 months and want to include the north coast in my travels. I am adventurist and naturalist and I would like to walk and camp amongst the trees and palms as I move my way down the coast. I have chosen to carry an extra small load in a regular sized backpack (mochila). What must I do to follow the rules as well as not encounter problems with robbers while camping on the north coast?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
dude, don't ask the same question twice. i suggest mods close this thread or merge.

slas7713

Aug 9, 2004
I will be in the country for 3 months and want to include the north coast in my travels. I am adventurist and naturalist and I would like to walk and camp amongst the trees and palms as I move my way down the coast. I have chosen to carry an extra small load in a regular sized backpack (mochila). What must I do to follow the rules as well as not encounter problems with robbers while camping on the north coast?

Depends on the beach. Maybe Playa Magante in La Yagua.

pinyon

Jan 17, 2012
From one backpacker to another.... no, you cannot walk the coastline as you will not have beach in certain places. And.... very iffy about the safety here. I have done alot of backpacking and there is no way I would do that.

FritoBandito

Bronze
Dec 19, 2009
Hey Dorothy, you ain't in Kansas anymore!!!!!!!!! And the munchkins in the DR will steal your lollipops and Toto, too!!!!!!!!!!!!

GinzaGringo

Sep 29, 2010
It's pretty sad that the consensus opinion is that this kind of walk is a bad idea because I would like to make this kind of walk myself. Although I have never been accosted or assaulted in the Dominican Republic, the anecdotal stories are too numerous to discount and ignore.

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
Hey Dorothy, you ain't in Kansas anymore!!!!!!!!! And the munchkins in the DR will steal your lollipops and Toto, too!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deserted beaches are risky because maybe robbers are on the lookout for tourists wandering from the patrolled beaches of AI and such. Quiet beaches ouside appartments, hotels
, restaurants are a better bet. Or go to remote place with motorcycle. Make sure there are no people around before dismounting, photographing etc. There are desparate people out there. Trails in the countryside are better. If you can afford a small fee a local person can take you or a group on an interesting walk - use hiking boots with soles that grip since the people are like mountain goats. Crocs hiker also work well in wet places. Before setting out visit a local in business restaurant or bar and ask the owner about the guy and arrange a cost.

The trails round el limon waterfall are very nice if sometimes a little touristy.

yapask1

yapask1

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003

Read this. Most would have said...... "Don't do it... you will die". Bull Shyt. With some planning you could have a wonderful experience. I've sent you a PM. Read Frank12 stuff too and I recommend you contact him and Cobraboy.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/trip-reports/128503-mega-dominican-republic-motorcycle-adventure.html

FritoBandito

Bronze
Dec 19, 2009
It's pretty sad that the consensus opinion is that this kind of walk is a bad idea because I would like to make this kind of walk myself. Although I have never been accosted or assaulted in the Dominican Republic, the anecdotal stories are too numerous to discount and ignore.

The walk, itself, wouldn't be the problem. It's the camping, alone, at night in remote and unguarded locations.

Jan 16, 2013
Thanks a lot, although it seems that this topic about me doing my adventure also on the north coast is pretty much a bust. For my adventure plan, the only coastal region that has been recommended to me was Samana, which by the way is the prettiest in the country. I think I will take a bus to Samana after enjoying the Jarabacoa area, points west.

Read this. Most would have said...... "Don't do it... you will die". Bull Shyt. With some planning you could have a wonderful experience. I've sent you a PM. Read Frank12 stuff too and I recommend you contact him and Cobraboy.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/trip-reports/128503-mega-dominican-republic-motorcycle-adventure.html

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks a lot, although it seems that this topic about me doing my adventure also on the north coast is pretty much a bust. For my adventure plan, the only coastal region that has been recommended to me was Samana, which by the way is the prettiest in the country. I think I will take a bus to Samana after enjoying the Jarabacoa area, points west.

I don't know what you were told about hiking the Samana peninsula and camping out at night, but based on my 15 years living in Samana, I certainly would not advise it. A single gringo hiking along the shore and sleeping there at night is at risk any place in the country. The danger is not that you will be attacked by hardened criminals from Santo Domingo, the danger is a poor Dominican with a machete who sees an opportunity to get some much needed money from someone he knows, being a gringo, has a lot of it.

There have been numerous reports of one person or a man and woman stopping to swim and sunbathe at what appeared to be a delightful, secluded beach only to have their vacation ruined by a campesino or two with machetes that came out of the bushes and threaten then in order to rob them.

The Dominicans are great people and can be very friendly and helpful. But there is a lot of poverty, serious poverty, and rising prices are making life very difficult for many. A single gringo off the beaten path, out of sight of help, will sooner or later during the hike be a temptation that won't be resisted.

Even carrying a gun, which would be illegal in your case, is no guarantee you will be safe because you can't stay awake and alert for danger 24/7.

No, it is not 100% certain that you will be attacked. But the odds are greater that you will be than that you will complete your overnight(s) hike without incident.

If you look fit and confident and are armed in some way, even if only a stout cane that you can use as a walking stick and a means of defense if need be, you can hike during the day with less risk. It is a night, when you can be watched from the brush bordering the coast without knowing you are that you will be at risk

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
I don't know of anybody who has ever camped out in the DR. Beyond the dangers listed, I would also be concerned with ants, spiders and rats.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
The issue with camping on the beach, more than anything, is narcotrafico. If you're in the wrong place at the wrong time, especially on a deserted beach, you might see something that others did not want you to see. And here in the south, I have seen a few locals of questionable reputation walk the beaches looking for drugs that were tossed overboard and not recovered. The beaches in my area are safe enough during the day, but there is no way I would be there after dark.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
I don't know of anybody who has ever camped out in the DR. Beyond the dangers listed, I would also be concerned with ants, spiders and rats.

I live in a 50+-year-old house in Paya. For me, living here is one big camping trip. Except I do have bars on all the windows.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
camping out at a deserted bar in a small town with 2-3 chicas sounds like a better option :laugh:

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I don't know what you were told about hiking the Samana peninsula and camping out at night, but based on my 15 years living in Samana, I certainly would not advise it. A single gringo hiking along the shore and sleeping there at night is at risk any place in the country. The danger is not that you will be attacked by hardened criminals from Santo Domingo, the danger is a poor Dominican with a machete who sees an opportunity to get some much needed money from someone he knows, being a gringo, has a lot of it.

There have been numerous reports of one person or a man and woman stopping to swim and sunbathe at what appeared to be a delightful, secluded beach only to have their vacation ruined by a campesino or two with machetes that came out of the bushes and threaten then in order to rob them.

The Dominicans are great people and can be very friendly and helpful. But there is a lot of poverty, serious poverty, and rising prices are making life very difficult for many. A single gringo off the beaten path, out of sight of help, will sooner or later during the hike be a temptation that won't be resisted.

Even carrying a gun, which would be illegal in your case, is no guarantee you will be safe because you can't stay awake and alert for danger 24/7.

No, it is not 100% certain that you will be attacked. But the odds are greater that you will be than that you will complete your overnight(s) hike without incident.

If you look fit and confident and are armed in some way, even if only a stout cane that you can use as a walking stick and a means of defense if need be, you can hike during the day with less risk. It is a night, when you can be watched from the brush bordering the coast without knowing you are that you will be at risk

i know two Canadians who were here for three months with their large dog who went from Las Terrenas over to Miches.. and were confronted by two men with machetes.. in broad daylight... even with their dog. They surrendered their packs.

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
In the 1980s it was possible to backpack around the country using basic public transport services and staying at cheap hotels in small towns ? not hiking in the boonies. I mostly saw Euros in groups of 2-4 doing it successfully. They were clean and presentable folk, and seemed to have good situational awareness along with some language skills. If they wound up in a place without an inn, the hospitable locals would help them out.

Perhaps it can be done today. I don't know. But I do know that hairy, dirty, hippie looking types who abuse substances and get stupified won't get out alive.