whale watching tour

bluemoonnyc

Oct 4, 2007
hi fplks, can anyone recommed a good boat to go for a day of whale watching in samana? i'll be back down in a few weeks and would love to get out and see the whales

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Google Kim Bedell Whale Watching. See is not only a tour guide but also a scientist who has been studying the whales for years. Her boat is a good size with enclosed deck and open upper deck. The tour lasts about 3.5hrs and the make a stop at Cayo Laventado on the way back in. Cayo Laventado also know as Bacardi Island is a beautiful place in the middle of the bay. It is a little touristy but a nice place to grab a cocktail and relax in a beach chair. Have fun

LTSteve

bluemoonnyc

Oct 4, 2007
Google Kim Bedell Whale Watching. See is not only a tour guide but also a scientist who has been studying the whales for years. Her boat is a good size with enclosed deck and open upper deck. The tour lasts about 3.5hrs and the make a stop at Cayo Laventado on the way back in. Cayo Laventado also know as Bacardi Island is a beautiful place in the middle of the bay. It is a little touristy but a nice place to grab a cocktail and relax in a beach chair. Have fun

LTSteve

thanks steve

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002

LTSteve

Kim is the one who started whale watching in Samana. Others are cashing in, but she is the one who started it and is also the one who led the fight to get rules and restrictions in order to protect the whales. Her email address: kimbeddall@usa.net

agw

Feb 14, 2010
I went out on Kim's boat last year and it was excellent! I'd absolutely recommend her tour! Exciting, informative, comfortable and more than worth the fee. Can't wait to go again this year to just enjoy the whales and not take photos.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
There are two different whale watching experiences available and i recommend that everyone do both

it is one thing to go with Kim, who is the most informed and the most professional and the biggest boat

it is another thing to go in one of the little boats.. where the SIZE of the whale is SO much bigger than your boat.

The first time I went we had a whale surface RIGHT along side Kim;s Boat.. which is what? say forty feet?

but if you are next to that mammal in a twenty foot boat.. well, different experience

I have been here seven years and have only seen the whales three times. But I would go every year if I could.

It is a precious and AMAZING experience to meet the Humpbacks in their breeding ground.. Elsewhere in the world, they are acting differently ./. but here is their nursery

What an honor to have seen these great mammals.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Kim is the one who started whale watching in Samana. Others are cashing in, but she is the one who started it and is also the one who led the fight to get rules and restrictions in order to protect the whales. Her email address: kimbeddall@usa.net

email address correction. I left out the dot: kim.beddall@usa.net

The phone for the office is 809-538-2588

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
There are two different whale watching experiences available and i recommend that everyone do both

it is one thing to go with Kim, who is the most informed and the most professional and the biggest boat

it is another thing to go in one of the little boats.. where the SIZE of the whale is SO much bigger than your boat.

The first time I went we had a whale surface RIGHT along side Kim;s Boat.. which is what? say forty feet?

but if you are next to that mammal in a twenty foot boat.. well, different experience

I have been here seven years and have only seen the whales three times. But I would go every year if I could.

It is a precious and AMAZING experience to meet the Humpbacks in their breeding ground.. Elsewhere in the world, they are acting differently ./. but here is their nursery

What an honor to have seen these great mammals.

If you are thinking about going in one of the small boats, there are a couple of things to keep in mind

1. To see the whales, you must go out of the inner bay into areas where the sea is often quite rough in the winter. You are going to get bounced around, and very likely wet.

2. There is no bathroom on the small, open boats. No protection from the elements.

3. if you are feeling woozy, there is no place to sit down other than where you are seated in the small boat.

For security and comfort, i highly recommend Kim's boat, where you also get the benefit of her years of experience studying the whales.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
If you experience any sea sickness then avoid the small boats. You will be "chumming" the entire time you are out there. Even on a calm day the swells in the bay run 1-3'. On an average day it will be worse.

LTSTeve

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If you experience any sea sickness then avoid the small boats. You will be "chumming" the entire time you are out there. Even on a calm day the swells in the bay run 1-3'. On an average day it will be worse.

LTSTeve

Avoid them, also, if you are not certain you won't be sea sick. Out in a small boat filled with people is not a good time to be sea sick.

Also, be aware that if the sea is rough that your tour in a small boat will be shorter, both in time and distance, than in the larger, more seaworthy boats.