Luis Hess School - Pedro Clisante

chelled

Jan 20, 2013
I am starting to wonder if anyone in the office works there. I have sent numerous emails to them regarding our sons school records which we need by the end of January so that he can get into the proper classes in Ontario. Before we left we requested his transcripts to be emailed to us. On three occasions now I have emailed them requesting them to be sent immediately to us through email but not even a response. The emails were sent in Spanish to them so what is the problem.
When our son went to school there we found the Director to be rude and never would speak with us. The staff just unresponsive to questions. We had issues with the Ministry of Education in Santa Domingo making errors in which my husband had to go three times to back to their office to get corrected at the expense of being away from our business for three different days. One mistake being the put the wrong grade in which he was suppose to be enrolled even though we had his transcripts from Ontario stating which grade that didn't matter, he had to get corrected papers or our son was going to be put in a lower grade level or out of school. Their education system stinks like most other government areas.
Has anyone else had this issue with the schools?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I am starting to wonder if anyone in the office works there. I have sent numerous emails to them regarding our sons school records which we need by the end of January so that he can get into the proper classes in Ontario. Before we left we requested his transcripts to be emailed to us. On three occasions now I have emailed them requesting them to be sent immediately to us through email but not even a response. The emails were sent in Spanish to them so what is the problem.
When our son went to school there we found the Director to be rude and never would speak with us. The staff just unresponsive to questions. We had issues with the Ministry of Education in Santa Domingo making errors in which my husband had to go three times to back to their office to get corrected at the expense of being away from our business for three different days. One mistake being the put the wrong grade in which he was suppose to be enrolled even though we had his transcripts from Ontario stating which grade that didn't matter, he had to get corrected papers or our son was going to be put in a lower grade level or out of school. Their education system stinks like most other government areas.
Has anyone else had this issue with the schools?

Don't waste your time with emails. They are often unsatisfactory as a means of getting results in the DR. You should call, and keep calling if necessary.

According to the phone book (not an iron clad guarantee of correctness) number is 809-571-2614

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Since you have these issues, I don't see why the school your son will be going to can't evaluate him on the basis of his age, the grade you say he completed, and his ability to compete with students of the same age and grade already in the school. If they are really interested in your child, that is what they should do. I am speaking as a retired superintendent of schools.

Teachers there should easily be able to devise some tests that will tell them if he is on the same level as the other children in whatever grade you believe he should be in.

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
well i doubt that they may check any emails.; because it is NOT valid legally this way of solicitation of record of notas!
My son also attended this school as a foreigner and i need to say they are different then other Dominican educational institutes.
Actually you really learn there! the teachers support any student who wants to study and learn. doesn't matter the nationality!
The director might be a bit try in character but his emphasis is always in regards of the best of his students!

If you need a record of notas, contact me via PM ...i think i paid 780 pesos for that and plus something to get it stamped at the distrito de educacion.

It was also not free of charge, when my son needed the recod of notas from the university in canada.

What bothers me is that the foreigners always see everything negative ....... the school is really organized!!! Believe me it is,
because i know it!!! If you are not able to speak spanish, or you are afraid to call them by phone please do not write negatively about that institution because of your inferiority in Spanish.

If you need my help just tell me, give me some input and i go there for you and resolve it issue within a timely matter without charging for my time because i like to help children, not their "prepotente" parents, to get the paper work asap.
it is NOT OF A big deal if you just pay the minimum fee !!!!!!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
well i doubt that they may check any emails.; because it is NOT valid legally this way of solicitation of record of notas!
My son also attended this school as a foreigner and i need to say they are different then other Dominican educational institutes.
Actually you really learn there! the teachers support any student who wants to study and learn. doesn't matter the nationality!
The director might be a bit try in character but his emphasis is always in regards of the best of his students!

If you need a record of notas, contact me via PM ...i think i paid 780 pesos for that and plus something to get it stamped at the distrito de educacion.

It was also not free of charge, when my son needed the recod of notas from the university in canada.

What bothers me is that the foreigners always see everything negative ....... the school is really organized!!! Believe me it is,
because i know it!!! If you are not able to speak spanish, or you are afraid to call them by phone please do not write negatively about that institution because of your inferiority in Spanish.

If you need my help just tell me, give me some input and i go there for you and resolve it issue within a timely matter without charging for my time because i like to help children, not their "prepotente" parents, to get the paper work asap.
it is NOT OF A big deal if you just pay the minimum fee !!!!!!

You make good points. You are right that the school--on any other organization, for that matter--is not likely to send official documents just because somebody sends an email asking for them.

The way things work here, documents are not official unless they have stamps pasted on them and those stamps must be purchased from the government.

chelled, you are fortunate that someone who knows the school and the people there is willing to help you. That is your only hope for getting the documents unless you come here yourself and pay the necessary fees (which are not just a school requirement but a government requirement).

Meantime, I don't see why the people in Canada cannot assess your son's readiness for the grade you believe is appropriate for him. This would not be a big deal. Unless, of course, they are stuck in their own rules and procedures.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
You make good points. You are right that the school--on any other organization, for that matter--is not likely to send official documents just because somebody sends an email asking for them.

The way things work here, documents are not official unless they have stamps pasted on them and those stamps must be purchased from the government.

chelled, you are fortunate that someone who knows the school and the people there is willing to help you. That is your only hope for getting the documents unless you come here yourself and pay the necessary fees (which are not just a school requirement but a government requirement).

Meantime, I don't see why the people in Canada cannot assess your son's readiness for the grade you believe is appropriate for him. This would not be a big deal. Unless, of course, they are stuck in their own rules and procedures.

There will be little problem with him getting in to school in Ontario. They are very used to immigrates that come with out papers so I hardly think a returning CANADIAN GOING BACK TO THE SAME PROVINCE WILL HAVE TOO MANY ISSUES. Been there done that.

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
Record de notas takes about 5 days here. First the secretary needs to dig out the record, print it, get it signed/stamped from the director and then send it to the district office which is just two corners from there and get it signed/stamped there and send it back to the school. cost me last year 780 pesos/each. i ordered 2 at the same time, just in case i would need one more in the nearer future.

PM me if you need help, i live close-by the school and the whole administration of school knows me well.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
There will be little problem with him getting in to school in Ontario. They are very used to immigrates that come with out papers so I hardly think a returning CANADIAN GOING BACK TO THE SAME PROVINCE WILL HAVE TOO MANY ISSUES. Been there done that.

Glad to know that. I got impression from OP that there would be problems for the boy if record not received by end of this month.

chelled

Jan 20, 2013
we requested his file before we left and my husband speaks Spanish. Before we left the DR we had requested his finals grades as they had just written exams and papers had not been graded. There was no mention of fees and my husband and son were told that they would email us the papers. Why should we have to pay for his marks? I asked if anyone else had these issues and if they were able to get it resolved. I had read in past forums of some other different issues.
The French school here in Ontario that he will be re-attending asked for his marks and what courses he had completed as they do need it for their records just as we had to bring over a transcript and go through the hoops to register him for Luis Hess School. They need paperwork just as the DR needed his paperwork. It isn't about reassessing they already know him from the previous year, it just a matter of getting the information to have on record as needed.
So this was requested before we left and has been requested since, and so I see we will have to now have to call the school probably numerous times just to get what should have been sent to us back in December at no Charge.

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
to be honest i wasn't told about the fee either until the day i picked the transcripts up :) .... it was just 15 dollars, why to discuss; paid and left.
you are right, that the last grades (when you leave school) are FREE of charge, but i presume you like to keep them in your files and an addl set of transcripts cost 780 pesos. (price was last year)