Uk visa for a dominican person

snoopy15

Jan 22, 2013
I want to invite my dominican girlfriend to come spend some days with me in England, however i do not know how to go ahead with this.

I just want to ask few questions:

Does she really MUST have 1000 dollars in her bank account? Even though she works, i doubt she has that kind of money. I am looking to write an invitation letter explaining that i will be sponsoring her costs and accomodation while she is here. I am looking to enclose my bank statement with my invitation letter, will this work? I have friends who have invited their family members from other nationalities and they had done this and it worked fine. I am wondering if this will work for a dominican person.

What other documents does she needs to take to the british embassy in santo domingo? Anybody knows it? i tried to call the british embassy in DR but it didnt work.

I will be grateful if one of you could help.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Does she really MUST have 1000 dollars in her bank account? Even though she works, i doubt she has that kind of money.

She needs a lot more than that, and unless her employment is a career worth returning to then I don't fancy your chances in the slightest. They try to make it out so that you are part of a scam, get her in and then claim asylum, it is a really unpleasant experience when you are genuine. The UK has also put up the walls even higher last year, and now Doms are really really unlikely to get in unless wealthy and invited by someone wealthy. My friend recently had his wife of 3 years declined because they couldn't meet the financial bench mark of ?16000 and living allowance, home etc.
I know the visitor visas should be much easier to get but there are that many people abusing the British welcome that they make it increasingly difficult for those who are genuine.
Give it a go, but.................................

snoopy15

Jan 22, 2013
Are other countries in Europe easier for dominicans to enter? Lets say Spain or Portugal. Will she needs to go through the same process as if she was applying for the UK visa or the process is way easier? Care to break it down how it works? Cheers

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
miesposo had his visa twice, both case zero problems. i guess it all depends on a person asking...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
snoopy, it is the same: a visa to europe is hard to get. and besides, even if you get the UK visa your gf will most likely need a schengen visa too since she will be travelling via other countries (unless taking direct flight from PC)...

snoopy15

Jan 22, 2013
miesposo had his visa twice, both case zero problems. i guess it all depends on a person asking...

You based in the UK? Were you married to him? Did he have lots of money in his bank account?

I am just wondering if i should go ahead with this, even though i am sure she doesnt have much money in her bank account. But i thought my bank statement would do the job.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Unless I am mistaken DV8's husband is financially independent and they have a decent business to return to here in DR, it would have been pretty clear they were just taking a vacation,not so for your woman. It is not the country going to so much it is the fact she is coming out of here, where there are lots of people trying to escape the place. It just isn't worth the risk to them to allow someone who has little and no roots in.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
It's only a visitors visa. Should be a walk in the park. Write the letter including your bank statements and that you will provide for her. All you have to do is convince the peeps in New York that she is coming for a brief holiday and that she is motivated to return home.

Her passport will be presented to the UK embassy in Santo Domingo where they take her biometric data (fingerprints and iris scan) They then send her passport and supporting documents to New York where the bureaucrats live. Takes about a week to ten days and the passport is couriered back to the address of your choice.

Easy peasy and about 75 quid for a six months visitor's visa!

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Haha, that post is as misleading as yapaskies costing posts!

It is not easy to convince an ECO that someone is going to return to the Dominican Republic when they don't have a job that allows them savings of $1000. It is not easy to convince an ECO of anything, their job is to reject applications, although they would never admit it.

It is not hopeless if he could get things together like a letter from her employer stating he is giving her the time off and is welcome to return, she has some kind of property interest or a child to return to, but I'd not be holding my breath, from those details offered it would be very unusual indeed to be successful. IMO.

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
You based in the UK? Were you married to him? Did he have lots of money in his bank account?
I am just wondering if i should go ahead with this, even though i am sure she doesnt have much money in her bank account. But i thought my bank statement would do the job.

no, we are based here; yes, we are married; yes, he has money.
but this is not all about cash, it is about why going there and why would you come back afterwards. sometimes having a decent job is not enough. few years back a friend asked for a visa to to to austria: she had a good job with well over average salary, she also had a small house in a campo and a daughter here. she was still rejected: not enough evidence she'd come back, they said.

i wouldn't bother, if i were you. it is cheaper and easier for you to come here. we pay about 1400 dollars for a ticket to go to london (from SD). add to this the cost of visa, the cost of travelling to get the visa (two trips to SD), travel insurance (a must) and you will see it is an expensive stuff...

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Haha, that post is as misleading as yapaskies costing posts!

It is not easy to convince an ECO that someone is going to return to the Dominican Republic when they don't have a job that allows them savings of $1000. It is not easy to convince an ECO of anything, their job is to reject applications, although they would never admit it.

It is not hopeless if he could get things together like a letter from her employer stating he is giving her the time off and is welcome to return, she has some kind of property interest or a child to return to, but I'd not be holding my breath, from those details offered it would be very unusual indeed to be successful. IMO.

It's not rocket science Giveadog!

I have done it on three different occasions for two different people. Admittedly I filled out the online form for them, but there's nothing stating that I can't. I supplied two letters of invitation, one from me and one from one of my family members in the UK, my employment contract, payslip and three bank statements. The applicants came from relatively humble backgrounds but we were able to provide evidence of income and assets such as a share in the family home and one of them had a car.

It's all about the evidence. They don't have to be rich to be successful with their application, they just need to PROVE that they are motivated to return to the DR and not stay in the UK, just like applying for the US or Schengen.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

I have done it on three different occasions for two different people. Admittedly I filled out the online form for them, but there's nothing stating that I can't. I supplied two letters of invitation, one from me and one from one of my family members in the UK, my employment contract, payslip and three bank statements. The applicants came from relatively humble backgrounds but we were able to provide evidence of income and assets such as a share in the family home and one of them had a car.

It's all about the evidence. They don't have to be rich to be successful with their application, they just need to PROVE that they are motivated to return to the DR and not stay in the UK, just like applying for the US or Schengen.

From what you have said it is NOT like applying for a USA visa. Dominican's cannot be sponsored by a benefactor with money and letters of invitation are not a factor for a visitor's visa to the USA. The entire burden of proof that a Dominican will return home is based upon only that Dominican person. Any connections to people in the USA will actually be a negative.

The commonality is that the person must prove they will return home to the DR before their visa expires.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
It's only a visitors visa. Should be a walk in the park. Write the letter including your bank statements and that you will provide for her. All you have to do is convince the peeps in New York that she is coming for a brief holiday and that she is motivated to return home.

The peeps are now in Jamaica not New York.

Matilda

whiskylee

May 13, 2007

Agree with Beeza, Did the UK visitor visa about 8 years ago, The key to the application is reading all the requiremnts and ensure you have documented evidence for all of them. Belive it or not it was me they had a problem with in the UK as i had not given an explenation of where my funds had come from !!!!!!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Agree with Beeza, Did the UK visitor visa about 8 years ago, The key to the application is reading all the requiremnts and ensure you have documented evidence for all of them. Belive it or not it was me they had a problem with in the UK as i had not given an explenation of where my funds had come from !!!!!!

Not sure when Beeza tried this but in 8 years things have changed tremendously for every country especially in the UK.

Feb 7, 2007
The commonality is that the person must prove they will return home to the DR before their visa expires.

Not to hijack, but validity of US visa is in respect to ENTRY, not in respect to a stay. You can enter one day before your U.S. visitor visa expires, and still be granted 6-months stay as a tourist there.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
to me it seems the process in the UK embassy is very simple: you need to bring all required paperwork, have your photo taken, fingerprint and it's goodbye. 5 minutes in and out. then you come back to pick up the passport and spend another 5 minutes inside.
but they are very tough with requirements and i do not think they give visas left, right and center.

whiskylee

May 13, 2007
Not sure when Beeza tried this but in 8 years things have changed tremendously for every country especially in the UK.

Anna i am sure they have changed there criteria, However my point is ensure you have all the evidence documented before you apply, If you dont then dont waste your time and money. There is a list of essential reuirements in the application if you can prove you can meet the documented evidence i am sure you would have a good chance of obtaining a visitors visa.

Also have a genuine story for wanting to visit the UK, Example to visit boyfreinds family, experience the (warm) culture of the UK, etc etc