Solar Controller in Carry On?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We've shipped 6 solar panels down, they're there waiting for us. Just received first of 2 Outback controllers to go with them. Larger and heavier than expected.

Questions:

Anyone ever bring one of these in a carry-on? Anyone anticipate a problem with TSA who might not know what it is?? Afraid they might take them from us????

We don't want to put them in an unlocked suitcase. [$600+ each] Better off shipping in a box with old clothes??

Those of you who brought yours to DR- how did you do it???

Thanks in advance.

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
I wouldn't do the box thing - lost a laptop computer that way once (probably taken at Customs). I'd take them on as hand-carry items - just bring the owner materials with you to show what they are for and you shouldn't have an issue with TSA (but who knows what goes through the minds of those "mindless idiots".....at least solar controllers aren't on the prohibited list.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Doesn't solar related equipment get a 'pass' at the aduana?

Ship them w/ your luggage.... the extra bag fee costs less than the mudanza

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
Doesn't solar related equipment get a 'pass' at the aduana?

Ship them w/ your luggage.... the extra bag fee costs less than the mudanza

No, not just like that no, only with an Inspection and subsequent exemption letter by CNE basicly a painless process but it has its procedure and no way around it. By the way, as far as Dominican Red Tape and subsequent complictions, it was all free of all that kudos to the CNE & staff!!

g'luck

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
isn't Dominican "red tape" usually equal to a few 100 peso bills... more or less? I'm not sure if I'd try to carry on - could get dicey with TSA, depending on the phase of the moon and how the wind is blowing, or if the agent is being chaffed by his/her "Fruit of the Looms" ... but in checked luggage should be OK.

Taylor

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Jan 28, 2005
I brought one in my check bags- told customs what it was - they know it's duty free, but they try to get you for the ITBS.

Don't know why you bought 2 charge controllers, One outback controller can handle 8 x 250W panels