agriculture

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I just read that Martelly has announced plans to make Haiti 70% self sustaining in agriculute

this is great news since now they import about that amount of food. Compared to the DR which only imports 15% none of them staples.

There was a big fight against Monsanto coming in with sterile seeds. They tried to give them to an NGO and Haitians raised a rumpus...even just after the Quake.

May 29, 2006
It's tragic that Norman Borlaugh developed high yield strains of corn, rice and wheat to feed the world and how it's been hijacked to make food patent-able and ultimately less sustainable. How about some RoundUp with those seeds??

I'd like to see egg production as a high priority since what I hear is that typically Haitians can have about one egg a month. Bringing back the Creole pig would be nice too. Do they have Guinea Fowl at all in Haiti? It's more popular than chicken in France and I think it would be well suited to their environment.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
The Iowa pigs which replaced the Creole Pig are now the sanitation department in down town port au prince.

There are still some of the little guys around.

I do not know how the seed thing became such a mess but Chavannes Jean Baptiste leads a powerful lobby against GMOS

My dream has always been that the DR and Haiti would start to share more.. because everything they need, we have over here.

dream on, dream on

May 29, 2006
Yeah, once I heard Haiti was banning DR chickens and eggs, I got pretty discouraged. Spent a couple weeks in a campo village in the DR once and they couldn't produce their own eggs either.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
The chicken egg thing started during the embargo on Haiti during the time of the junta that ousted Aristide the first time.

Haitians say that the dR dumped eggs in Pau?P selling them for far less then even production cost and the last egg producer of note collapsed. The powerful elite in Haiti hold the import lines on chickens from the US so that was another issue behind the boycott.

I believe it still holds although I have not been up to Dajabon for the market for a long time.

The DR suffered mightily from this boycott as the major egg producers in Moca lost a huge market.

I toured with Max Antoine, head of Haiti{s border foundation, with a Canadian who was interested in helping find money to improve the little chicken coop project that they have.

Haiti has been so very hard hit.. AIDS, the Creole pig massacre, the import of subsidized US rice which collapsed their home production, then the earthquake... all on top of unstable political.

But both Aristide and Duvalier are home. Both have been visited by the Justice Department. But it is very impressive to me that both are being treated as former heads of State.. well, ok,. they are not on the reviewing stands together like Bush and Clinton.. but considering that they both had bloody massacres involved during their tenure, it seems pretty civilized to me.

Martelly is very smart and the government seems to be doing a massively great campaign out of Chicago.

I do not know how many of you know that Obama{s political director was Haitian American