Sleeping at Las Americas overnight

Carolin23

Jan 27, 2013
Hi my name is Carolin and I am a first-time poster here from Switzerland :). I have a question to the members here related to safety and security at Las Americas at night.

I'm on a budget and I would like it to save a last night's hotel stay in Santo Domingo by sleeping in the airport before my early morning flight. From 1:00 to 7:00. I will be with a girlfriend of mine and we will take turns sleeping. If we stay in the departures area, is it safe to be there in the middle of the night as long as one of us is awake? Or is the airport completely empty at this time with no police or security anywhere? Thank you for any answers.

Carolin

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
You should be fine if you're the departures side of customs.
Plenty of seating and reasonably modern.

caribeman

Dec 26, 2011
Enjoy meeting new people/cultures
Carolin,

It should be fine. I did this in October on way back to NY. It is not comfortable - as there are just a few waiting areas.. but there are some of the food shops open through the night if you need a snack or to walk around. it is possible to get through. Safe and pleasant travels

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Enjoy, in the Terminal A side next to Dufry Duty Free cigar shop is a smoking lounge. Not sure if it is open all night but if so you can go there to charge your cell phone or plug in your laptop.

Comfortable chairs and a bit more relaxing than the lounge areas by the gates.

Last edited:

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
One other thing, there is a food court on the upper (third) level you could visit to kill some time before you actaully head to the gate area.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Upper level food court closes at 10pm or so. Discovered that while waiting for a delayed flight to arrive.

On the plus side, after sleeping in those airport chairs, the seats on the airplane are going to feel like comfortable recliners.

fuchs4d

Mar 7, 2004
Carolin,

even if you are on a budget:
Life is too short, enjoy the 6 hours at a more comfortable budget hotel.
Like a Chinese in Sto. Domingo or near by Boca Chica, which has budgets also.
Arange transport with a taxi driver at day time and leave to the airport at 05.00 a.m.
You will not end up with much more money, considering the overpriced food and drinks at airports.
Did things like that when I was young, but today I think it is better to save this little money elsewhere in life.

Alexander

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Carolin,

even if you are on a budget:
Life is too short, enjoy the 6 hours at a more comfortable budget hotel.
Like a Chinese in Sto. Domingo or near by Boca Chica, which has budgets also.
Arange transport with a taxi driver at day time and leave to the airport at 05.00 a.m.
You will not end up with much more money, considering the overpriced food and drinks at airports.
Did things like that when I was young, but today I think it is better to save this little money elsewhere in life.

Alexander

Time you factor in hotel and taxis, your looking at US$100+
Plus the hassle at 1am in the morning!

vacanodr

Jun 10, 2012
Hi my name is Carolin and I am a first-time poster here from Switzerland :). I have a question to the members here related to safety and security at Las Americas at night.

I'm on a budget and I would like it to save a last night's hotel stay in Santo Domingo by sleeping in the airport before my early morning flight. From 1:00 to 7:00. I will be with a girlfriend of mine and we will take turns sleeping. If we stay in the departures area, is it safe to be there in the middle of the night as long as one of us is awake? Or is the airport completely empty at this time with no police or security anywhere? Thank you for any answers.

Carolin

There are cameras and employees and crooked Dominican style police and officials that will kill a robber there. You should be fine just attach the luggage and bags to you so it wakes you up if someone tries to take it. Someone could desperately try something stupid since they make like 100-300 dollars a month in a lot of cases in there. If they did it would just be petty theft where they try to take your bag and run away. They would not physically do any harm to you but might try to run away with the bags.

fuchs4d

Mar 7, 2004
Time you factor in hotel and taxis, your looking at US$100+
Plus the hassle at 1am in the morning!

If the plane is at 01.00 a.m., of course it is best to not stay in a hotel.
But at 07.00 a.m. not.
The original post is not very clear with the time.
100 USD = 80 EUR.
Minus 10 EUR food savings = 70 EUR.
2 persons = 35 EUR p.p.
35 EUR in an overseas vacation for SWISS?
Have a pizza and a small beer in a low end restaurant in Basel: not under EUR 20.-.

Alexander

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Tambo, stop being an idiot troll, it's getting boring.

1.00 to 7.00 and asking about sleeping at the airport, how much clarity do you need?

Two young girls on a budget that want to save a few $$$, simple!

Again...

Sleep at the airport for a few hours, it's a lot less hassle and cheaper than getting a hotel room and dealing with scum bag taxi's etc. It's warm and safe, you can get food and a drink if needed, plus you'll save $$$.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
It's not a long time to kill, take a book, ipad, and the time will fly by. I quite often have layovers longer than this, reading is relaxing, surfing kills time, gaming destroys time. You'll be right!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I'm assuming you only have carry on luggage with you otherwise you will not get through security. If you can get down to the gate area you will be ok.

LTSteve

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You may not be able to pass through immigration in the AM hours before your flight.
My flight leaves for Boston about 4:30 am. They won't let you go through until about 2 am.
They are plenty of people in Las americas 24/7.
Lots of families leaving and arriving.
The restaurant in the "ARRIVAL area is always open, and lots of people around.
I have seen people sleeping on the benches in front of the JetBlue departure ticket counters.
Don't expect much sleep, but don't worry about being alone in an empty airport either!
Cris Colon

fuchs4d

Mar 7, 2004
Hotel Mango, an inexpensive Hotel in the heart of Boca Chica
In Boca Chica the "Mango" Hotel is my choice for staying in that area and I probably would when having to be at the airport early.
Secure room doors, air condition, quality TV, Internet, Pool, Bar, inside car parking, security.
Starting about USD 20.-.
Regular tourists, also business people on the road.
Stuff can arrange to get a trusted taxi driver.
About 200 m down from the highway.
Colmado near by.
Nice clean island isulated from the Boca Chica mess.

Alexander