Preserving data from damaged laptops

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
I have two laptops which are beyond economic repair. I would like to transfer data from their hard-disks to my present laptop, if possible.

Can anyone recommend a firm which can do this? Preferably in Puerto Plata, though anywhere on the North Coast if necessary.

Many thanks.

DennyDee88

Sep 12, 2011
If you know how to open the laptops you can remove the hard drives and buy an enclosure and use the hard drives as external devices. There is a computer store behind Baileys that sells enclosures. There are fairly inexpensive and it allows you to have extra storage devices.

Hope that helps.

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
take them to Marco at Rocky's in Sosua. He will do a superb job.

BelgianK

If you know how to open the laptops you can remove the hard drives and buy an enclosure and use the hard drives as external devices. There is a computer store behind Baileys that sells enclosures. There are fairly inexpensive and it allows you to have extra storage devices.

Hope that helps.
Thank you, gentlemen, for your suggestions.

A local guy who has been helpful with previous problems told me the HD was damaged and he cannot retrieve the data. I was looking for someone to confirm that diagnosis, or otherwise. I will make the effort to get to Sosua and see if Marco can have a look at it for me.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I did this a few years ago but had issues as I couldn't remember passwords, as like you they were old I just wanted some data from it. It cost me about ?40 in the end and got the data after a few days.

DennyDee88

Sep 12, 2011
There are some data recovery software programs that you can download online. However, you will nee to be able to mount the hard drive on another machine to try and recover the data. As that I am a mac user, I am not sure what programs you can get for a PC but, I know they are out there because this is a very common problem.

May 29, 2006
You might want to try to get a SATA memory enclosure. You move the memory card from the computer into the case and then it acts as an external hard drive. It's not hard at all to do and only takes about ten minutes. You only need a fine Phillips head screw-driver and many enclosure kits have one included. You can then transfer files with the USB cord. Once you have your computer issues resolved you will have a 1/2 terabyte external hard-drive.

2530A-unit.jpg

2.5" USB 2.0 External SATA HDD Enclosure (Red/Black) - 2530A

Last edited:

Birdman

Jan 29, 2013
If you live near Luperon I can try it. I have ide and edge boxes for my old laptop hard drives that I am using. I fix peoples computer problems round here.