Paperwork for marriage in DR

Macy Kai

Jul 7, 2012
Please can anyone give me any advise of organising the paperwork I need to get married here in Dominican Republic. I am a non resident, getting married to a Dominican resident.

Can I have my documents translated and legalised etc here. Will a lawyer take care of that?
Does anyone know of a lawyer who works in this field, and an idea of cost?
Also an idea of the time frame needed in order to organise the paperwork would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Apr 13, 2011
The Dominican Consulate in NYC was very helpful about which documents I needed - and they did the translations and put the appropriate stamps on the documents (and I assume the other consulate offices would be just as helpful). I do not remember the fees for their services, but they were reasonable - and I knew the documents would be accepted because they had been done by the Dominican consulate office here in the US.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
All you need is your passport and birth certificate, the document that states your single you can get it done in the DR by your lawyer.

btw they are going to keep your birth certificate because those A holes kept mine. Good Luck:)
I forgot you asked about the cost. I can only speak of the cost my lawyer charged and it was around 13,000RD to 15,000RD for everything but each lawyer will have their own fee.

chrisdr

Oct 7, 2012
I got married last year and I got my birth certificate apostilled in the UK and the I had to send it to the Dominican Embassy in the UK to get legalized and translated. It has to be legalized in the dominican consulate in your own country.
You also need a decree absolute - just a document signed saying you are not married which must be notarized - but this can be done in the DR.
I ordered a copy of my birth certificate and used that - like JMB773 said - they will keep our birth certificate. Cost me around $300 if I remember correctly...

Macy Kai

Jul 7, 2012
Thank you, I am living here in DR, so how would I get ,my documents to embassy in Uk?
Thanks for the info on the birth certificate! So if I get in touch with a lawyer here they should be able too get the process started?

Macy Kai

Jul 7, 2012
Will the lawyer organise the translations and legalisation of my birth certificate and passport? or do I have to find a way to send them to the UK myself?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Send them to a relative. Why pay a lawyer to do something you can get done free, well besides the fees in the UK.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
There is a Facebook forum called Dominican spouses and it is full of people who get married here both male and female and all the steps they went through and what they needed. There are several American, Canadian, British and European women on there who got married here and they can give you all the info you need including contact data, Just go onto FB and ask to join the Dominican Spouses group. I think you will find that you do not need to get your docs translated in the UK if you live here - you can get it done here and there are several lawyers who do it, whose names you should find on the FB forum

Matilda

chrisdr

Oct 7, 2012
Macy kai the DR Embassy in your home country will translate your birth certificate first, it costs a little more from them but you have to get it translated at an approved translator - its less hassle to just get it translate at the embassy when they legalize the document. As said above, just send it to a relative - its all done through the post and online. Allow a month to get the whole process done. The apostile service and legalization are surprisingly efficient.
Use the lawyer over here for the decree and thats about it!

devdev

May 14, 2011
I am a Canadian who got married to a Dominican man in April. I had to have my birth certificate (long form-had to send away for it while still in Canada) and another paper with info saying I wasn't married, both translated and certified while I was still in Canada, at the Dominican consulate of Canada.....don't know if that helps, but I called them and they told me all I needed to have and do. Best bet is to contact the Dominican consulate in the U.K

beastwood

Jun 30, 2011
Do not overlook the birth certificate apostilled part. Needs to be done in your home country. This is following the Haig convention where countries certify their birth certificates are authentic for international use. We used a lawyer in SAnto Domingo a year ago. He took care of all the translating and certifying of translations etc.