Low season for AI....

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
So when is the low season for AIs? Last year I think I paid like $2400 for group price for one to stay in Celusima. I know it's approaching, so when is the low season?

Apr 13, 2011
Someone will be able to give more specific dates, but I think low season is during the hurricane season - and now we are in the start of high season with all the snowbirds traveling down for visits.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I believe low season starts in May but plane fairs can be high during summer months, July Aug.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I find the best deals on travel during the week after New Years...

I once had a trip to Aspen for peanuts..... no lift lines, reservations = easy,,,,,

Same everywhere, very few people on the move.......

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
You will see a drop in prices for AI's (or at least the ones I have looked at in Punta Cana for a family visit) starting around May 1. The prices stay lower from then until November or so. Some of the best prices are found late August and September. My family is going to visit again and will be staying in Punta Cana. The AI rate was good I think for a weeks stay but it is the airfare that is bad, especially from the Western US. There really are not that many decent "package deals" found from the Western US to DR or at least that I have not seen over the years.

drewboy

May 30, 2011
Yes, first two weeks in May I get the best deals. Also, as soon as school goes back in September, prices drop big time. We to away last week of November and we get great deals and the resorts are dead. December is back to full price again. After New Years, the 2nd week of Jan can be cheap too.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I believe one of my wife's friend, who is currently studying in Canada, wants to visit before she move back to Korea(I don't know when that will be.) I'll pass along the information now so she can plan things accordingly. I guess it would be cheap to book a flights in several months ahead? We will see how she plans it out.
Thanks.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
High season is definitely through Easter week. After Easter is over you may see prices begin to drop.

LTSteve

mustang88

Jun 19, 2010
for us, we travel from canada.....the availability of flights in summer mean that although it is low season in summer, the cost may not be cheap.....supply and demand..........we find that the best bang for the buck is the two weeks in january following newyears........just returned from grand paradise samana jan 15th......hope that this helps, ......

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I get pretty good pricing in July from YYZ to AZS................ and Sept too......... WestJet

I summer on Lake Huron.....

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
So when is the low season for AIs? Last year I think I paid like $2400 for group price for one to stay in Celusima. I know it's approaching, so when is the low season?

Koreano........What we used to refer to as the low season/high season has become a bit of a misnomer. After years of very aggressive marketing by the hotel companies, clients are arriving in the D.R. from just about everywhere. As a result when there are fewer Canadians around the slack is picked up by Europeans and vice-versa.
It is a fact that the monthes of September and October fall off substantially due primarily to the high possibility of lousy weather....i.e. hurricanes.
The single supplement will get you every time............very, very pricey.

Feb 7, 2007
Low season begins after Easter, so that would be after beginning of April. June is the lowest of the "summertime", and then October is the lowest of the year. But October, count with lots of rain. Months in the order of low to high season:
Low->
October
June/November
May/September
December (till 20th)
April/July/August
January (from 7th)
February/March
->High

This slightly varies by the year depending on when exactly is the Easter holiday

Feb 7, 2007
How are (Punta Cana) resorts frequented:

January = Europeans
February - March = North Americans and South Americans
April = North Americans
June - July = Puerto Ricans
July - August = Europeans and North Americans
June - September - October - November (+ Easter) = Dominicans

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Koreano........What we used to refer to as the low season/high season has become a bit of a misnomer. After years of very aggressive marketing by the hotel companies, clients are arriving in the D.R. from just about everywhere. As a result when there are fewer Canadians around the slack is picked up by Europeans and vice-versa.
It is a fact that the monthes of September and October fall off substantially due primarily to the high possibility of lousy weather....i.e. hurricanes.
The single supplement will get you every time............very, very pricey.

I said Canadians but what I should have said was North Americans.........and I should have also made it clear that I know a little more about the Southeast (PUJ/Bavaro) than I do about the Northcoast.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
From Vancouver it seemed to always be around the same price except for December obviously. Where in Canada is she flying from?
She will be flying in from Toronto area I believe. My wife is hoping she will spend a week or two but I don't really know. It all depends on how things work out later.

These are very handy info guys. Perhaps I can plan something out on April for our wedding anniversary as well. Some of the prices I had seen were just mind boggling for couple of night in AI.

flyinroom....
we will see how things goes because last year whenever I visited north coast place was dead. I am kind of new to golf so every caddy may say this but the caddies I was with were dying from lack of tourists. I hope things will change for better this year just like you said.