Any Mixed Marriages Here?

M

mark

Happilly married to a wonderful Dominican for over 3 years.
I'm European-American, it took a year for me to understand "her"
way of thinking, nevertheless it has been a blissful 3 years of my life.I have met many nationalities in my life.Nothing compares
with the temperament,bravura and passion.
Despite all the warnings, we had no problems getting the
permanent status for her.All INS cared was that we both are employed, we both filed taxes and we both had savings
and health insurance.That's it.
I'd love to hear from other mixed and "blissful" couples.
Mark.

N

Natasha

Re: yes, several

There are several regulars on this board who are in mixed marriages, this poster included. I am Dominican and my husband is American. We met in Pittsburgh where I went to pursue a PhD, but I had never imagined, not even in my wildest of dreams that I was going to find the love of my life in that city too. We have been [blissfully] married three years as well.

Regards,
Natasha

E

ECH,

Re: yes, several

After reading recently about Germany and the Netherlands....do you mean by "mixed":
boy-girl marriages or do you mean boy-boy; girl-girl?
Sorry, could not resist......

M

Maria

yes i am french canadian and my husband is dominican, we will celebrate 15 years together in next january..we are living in Quebec since 1990 but planning our return to DR for 2004..
we met in DR in 1987.. i was working there. It is really blissfull as you say..........

K

katia

Another one here...

I am part french canadian, part italian, am living in Montreal, Canada and my husband is Dominican. We've been married for 14 months and he is now in Canada with me since this past June.

T

trina

And me

I lived in Sosua for a while, where I met my husband, who is Dominican. He is now with me in Calgary, Canada, and things couldn't be better. Our first anniversary will be September 9, 2001.

P

pascal

yeah here we are

Luz Mercedes and I met in Belgium six years ago and live happily together since then with the addition of Sophie who is 3 years old by now. I am French living and working abroad for many years, we are currently settled in Germany. I have on several occasions applied to jobs in the DR and have had lots of interviews but nothing so far has materialized. We may have to wait for my retirement to fulfil our wish to relocate in the DR. So yes this is another mixed couple nationalitywise.

J

Joachim

Re: yeah here we are

I am Canadian and also am married to a lovely Dominican woman. "Ella es fuego que quema"!!!

R

Ross Rucker

Re: yeah here we are

I am the first German American bachatero and I have been happily married to my "cibaen~ita" for 10 years now. And we have an 8 year old Domini-Gringuito.

J

J.H.H.

still more of us

Nati and will have our third anniversy come nov.We now have an 8 month old little girl,very pretty I might add

T

Tom van Geffen

even more.... (dutch)

Hi,
I am a Dutch man, 39 yr's old, 10 years together (5 married)
with my wife from the little village of Fantino (close to La Vega) in the DR. As said before: never could I imagine my life changing so much. I LOVE IT.

I would love to work and live in the DR. I am trying to get a good job in the Telecom/ict sector.

greetings,
Tom

O

Onions and carrots

I'm not trying to be provocative or throw a monkey wrench in these wonderful stories. Yet I believe that any Dominican that marries a foreigners is principally for financial security. We Dominicans find foreigners to provide insurance against the crushing poverty that dominates the DR. Also its like a status symbol to be married to a foreigner.

D

Derrick

Onions...
I think most would agree that "many" Dominicans marry a foriegner for security and status, but in a few years you'll realize that you can't speak for everyone.. you said "Any" dominican that marries a foriegner does so for financial security and status... maybe it was just a poor choice of words, but it would be more accurate to state:
1. That your statement is an opinion based solely on your own obervations..
2. That "most" marry for those reasons, not all...
I'm only posting this because I don't think you are really trying to stir things up, but that you are really trying to throw in your 2 cents...
Derrick.... (in Dallas, wishing I could steal some Dominican rain...)

D

Derrick

Soon to join the ranks..

My Domincan fiance (Raquel) received a letter from the US Consulate this morning.. we have an appt for our final interview to receive a K1 fiance visa on Sept 7th!!! So, she should be able to move to Dallas (is that near Miami or New York? :) ) in Septmeber... We each have one son.. hers is the 2 legged type and 5 years old... mine is 4 legged and 8 years old... Pics of all at:
http://members.aol.com/red97miata/ (Link below)
Expect a small wedding will take place in Early October so that we can file for "adjustment of status"...
So... There will soon be another mixed marriage!!!
Derrick

O

Onions and carrots

You got a winner!

I wish you the best in your new marriage. I went to the webpage with your photos and and you guys make a beautiful couple. You are definitely gonna have beautiful children.Most Dominicans are very perceptive just by looking at people especially our compatriotas. From looking at my paesana and judging by the photos, she seems to be heartfelt in her love towards you. I think your marriage is going to be one of the rare exceptions.Let us know when the first Dominico-gringuita/o arrives with photos.

Take care O&C, humble peasant farmer from Valverde,Mao DR

P

pascal

Hi there ,

Your comment is almost along the line of HIpolito saying , I will put in jail everyone arguing about my honnesty , you are just saying ' all ' dominaicans married with foreigners look for fianncial security. I have just met today a dominican married with a cuban does it make it the same category for you.
All , everything , black, white can't apply to anything nowadays if I however may there are nickname out there that I find stupid

T

Tom F.

O & C

I would also like to point out that some Dominicans marry gringos for other reasons than finanical security. I have an 11 year marriage (and 10 year old son) with a Dominican women I met during Peace Corps. She had been living in NYC for four years and was on vacation in the DR when we met. I teach and she sells hand bags wholesale and makes twice the money I make.

B

Bob Saunders

Not all are the same.

My Dominican wife is a sucessful business woman with her own school where she employs 10 teachers and another half dozen support staff. After expenses she does quite well by American or Canadian standards so I have to believe she married me for love because I'm certainly not rich and the weather here in British Columbia stinks in comparison. I would like to think that my wife is the rule not the exception. Glad to hear that everything is going well Trina and Katia, winter will be interesting.

O

Onions and carrots

Don't be so naive

Let me tell you guys a little dark piece of the DR culture. In relationships and esp. marriage people always " tienen una guardada. " No Dominican will tell you this or admit to it. It doesn't matter if you have been married for 10,20 or more years. In the DR culture its about always saving face and having the upper hand. Believe me that this is more important than love.Let me try to expalin this as best as I can. The Spanish culture handed down centuries ago was a sort of rogue attitude that permeates all socio-economic levels of DR culture and across both genders in different forms. "Teniendo una guardada" means that a part of your brain is reserved just in case things go sour. This portion is to insure you always maintain the upeer hand and never lose face. The broken-hearted sadness and emotional drain that follows most relationships is unheard of in the DR. The DR people are taught from early childhood to "querer al que me quiere" and when that ends The "teneiendo una guardada" pops ups. No Dominican male or female will ever love you 100% or play with complete honesty.So don't be so naive. The DR may be economically disadvantaged compared to you foreigners but we are advanced in these things I mentioned. Its sort of an auto protect system and can be summed up in the "mejor que yo nadie" attitude. Now don't be dumb and ask your significant other if this is true. you might think that this seems to be tedious yet its done with the utmost speed and instinctually.

M

Meg

Re: Don't be so naive

you must have had some bad experience in a relationship with a Dominican that makes you always categorize all Dominicans in a negative way in your messages, things like saying they only want foreigners for their money, etc. Maybe some are like that, but not all.