Decent Place

Olvidado

Jun 19, 2012
Is there a save decent place for an 67 years old, single male, born Dominican to retire and give something back to the community?

I have been looking at DR1 for about 7 months now and it is sad for me to see all the issues the DR confront, however, something deep inside tells me to retire there, I do not know why, in a peaceful community, with friends and the opportunity to help others, specially the youth. I am not a smart man but I managed to be a High School teacher for 32 years; sometimes I feel afraid, other time I think I should do it; do you think I am a fool by going there? I have no family there so I never visit before except about two years ago for about a month. Is there a gentle and quiet place for an old man?

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Congratulations on your retirement.High School teacher for 32 years.. wow !! You deserve a peaceful retirement. Research communities in and around Santiago. There are many nice, safe and livable communities close to everything.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I live in Puerto Plata and am also a retired high school teacher (30 years). If there is any thing I can do, please send me a PM (private message).

I have become somewhat involved in various types of projects designed to help others.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Your "Budget" makes a huge difference in where you will be able to live.
Also, are you a city, beach, country, or mountain guy!
Do you want to live near other "Ex-Pats", or go "Native"????
Do you speak Spanish?
Do you have any health care issues?
"The Devil Is In The Details"!
Cris Colon
I'm 66 and live in Santo Domingo.

miguel james

Nov 6, 2012
Hi, congratulations on retirement, I am also in the High School PHYED in the lovely NYC and it's not "easy" as you may know! I would recommend that you talk to your family and friends that live there and visit some of the areas on the North Coast I am a little bit bias because I have spend my entire summer vacations on that side of the Island and hope to call it my permanent home one day. If there is any thing I can help you with let me know and also read a lot of the post on this website.

Good luck

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
It depends where. $1000 a month is more than enough in Jarabacoa for an old single guy, but in the capital you would probably cover your basic living costs, rent, food, gas etc. You would need another job to have a social life.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Are you a US Citizen?

Is there a save decent place for an 67 years old, single male, born Dominican to retire and give something back to the community?

I have been looking at DR1 for about 7 months now and it is sad for me to see all the issues the DR confront, however, something deep inside tells me to retire there, I do not know why, in a peaceful community, with friends and the opportunity to help others, specially the youth. I am not a smart man but I managed to be a High School teacher for 32 years; sometimes I feel afraid, other time I think I should do it; do you think I am a fool by going there? I have no family there so I never visit before except about two years ago for about a month. Is there a gentle and quiet place for an old man?

If by chance you are a US citizen, I suggest you consider Peace Corps. Why?

No, it's not for everyone, but you can get your feet wet safely.

Yes, they want seasoned people such as yourself. I recommend it in your case, as you will have help being guided into a community, and some time to explore options. They are your safety net. You will also have contacts for later if you decide to stay permanently on your own.

Love to see a Dominican want to give back to the patria. Good luck.

Olvidado

Jun 19, 2012
Thank you so much to all of you! I love the sea as much as the mountains and it looks like Santiago will be the place for me.
I will go for a few months soon and then we'll see what happens; my son does not want me to go and he said that our community in the US needs help as well; of course he is right, but you know, I got to go. Thanks again, I'll keep in touch.
Oh, and thanks for your concerns about money, health and so on; I am fine. Thanks!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Dear O: Send me a PM and we can set up a meet to show you Santiago. We can talk, see what is what and find a great place for you. You need to plan and take advantage of your retirement perks, especially the fact that you were born here. That opens a LOT of doors as far as equipping your place and obtaining your vehicle.

And there is stuff to do, too.

Only a few years older...

HB