Grand paradise playa dorada

Leines

Jan 27, 2013
I know I might catch some grief over the AI question but wondering if anyone can give me an idea about taking the local bus from this resort, to la sirena brugal factory, and safer areas of puerto plata. What day/time is best, areas or things to avoid while there... Im not a trouble maker, and generally don't have problems anywhere I go, but I will stick out in the crowd as a tourist and dont want to make myself a target or have any issues...

On the flip side if there is an expat who is in this area who would like to join us, that might make myself and the wife a bit more comfortable....

Cheers

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
That would be a nice morning walk for you both. I see lots of folks walking from that complex to Puerto Plata. One Canadian couple (in their 70's) walks every single day to La Sirena. Leave the resort and turn right. The Brugal factory will be on your right and just past that you will come to a roundabout. Turn right at the roundabout just in front of the court house. The beach is just down the road, follow that to La Sirena, lots of places to stop for refreshments along the way. Is it safe, YES IT IS.

Leines

Jan 27, 2013
That would be a nice morning walk for you both. I see lots of folks walking from that complex to Puerto Plata. One Canadian couple (in their 70's) walks every single day to La Sirena. Leave the resort and turn right. The Brugal factory will be on your right and just past that you will come to a roundabout. Turn right at the roundabout just in front of the court house. The beach is just down the road, follow that to La Sirena, lots of places to stop for refreshments along the way. Is it safe, YES IT IS.

Thanks, I'm not opposed to walking as well, is there anything else you would reccomend along the way?? And how long would you say the walk is?
Cheers

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
It is a good walk, perhaps 1 mile to Brugal and another mile to La Sirena. The entire beach front road is about 3 miles in one direction. Other choices might be to go to the main road from your resort and wait for a gwagwa (spelling?). This is a van you can catch very cheap to get from one place to another, could be VERY crowded. There is a small shelter just out side Playa Dorada just to the right of the front entrance. You can wait there for the van and I suspect others might be there as well. You could take a taxi from in front of Hemmingways (on the resort property), but not sure of the cost. I'm sure they are over priced but they can get you to the door of the place you want to go to and perhaps provide some tourist information and guidance for you as well as bring you back. When are you going to be in Puerto Plata? Good luck.

Leines

Jan 27, 2013
It is a good walk, perhaps 1 mile to Brugal and another mile to La Sirena. The entire beach front road is about 3 miles in one direction. Other choices might be to go to the main road from your resort and wait for a gwagwa (spelling?). This is a van you can catch very cheap to get from one place to another, could be VERY crowded. There is a small shelter just out side Playa Dorada just to the right of the front entrance. You can wait there for the van and I suspect others might be there as well. You could take a taxi from in front of Hemmingways (on the resort property), but not sure of the cost. I'm sure they are over priced but they can get you to the door of the place you want to go to and perhaps provide some tourist information and guidance for you as well as bring you back. When are you going to be in Puerto Plata? Good luck.

Im arriving on my birthday Feb 21st around 10pm at airport, our return flight leaves 10pm on the 28th of feb.. Ive read that a taxi should cost me about $15us to town. but im thinking thats at least 4 lbs of coffee i can save by walking each way..LOL

Dec 26, 2011
Walking will change your experience drastically. It's healthier. Cheaper. You'll get more intimately acquainted with your surroundings. Meet more people. Sleep better at night.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
last time i was coming back from sosua i saw lots of turistas walking from playa dorada towards the city center. prepare for quite a long exercise, 45 minutes maybe? good news is that it is safe and you do not have to cross the street. bad news is that there is lots of traffic, noise and dust.
brugal factory closes for visitors lunchtime so either walk in the morning (start at 9am) or just after lunch (start at 1pm). both times are equal in terms of safety. if you want to do anything more just start in the morning. after leaving brugal you can keep on walking straight, even after passing the roundabout. it will take you right to the heart of the city so you can see old buildings and brand new luperon museum.
it will be just as easy to coma back: just turn around and walk straight again :)

if you decide on a guagua: they are small vans or large people carriers, depending how you look at it. should be taking maybe 12 people and sometimes pack as many as 27 (the most i have even seen, who knows how many can fit). current price for a ride is 25 pesos. have exact change. traveling on a guagua is an adventure in itself :)

umeafdb

Mar 9, 2010
No need to either pay the exorbident taxi fare nor to walk all the way in the heat. Simply walk to the gate (a 10 minute walk) and outside the gate there is a bus shelter. Three buses (gua-gua -- they are really little vans) pass by there. These are part of the public transport system. To go to La Sirena (or Tropical Supermarket) or to go to Central Park and downtown take Bus B. In front of the van there is a sign with a big B. Do not take Bus C or F (those are the other ones that pass by) even if they say they go to central park -- they really do not pass that close to central park! The cost is 20 pesos per passenger. To return take the bus B from Central Park or you can take a taxi from La Sirena. The cost to Playa Dorado for a taxi from there will be 300 pesos. There is no schedule -- sometimes you have to wait 10-15 minutes, sometimes it comes right away.
This is the best and most interesting. I take it every day to go into the info center. Not only is it cheap and easy you get to see local people in their everyday lives -- school children in their uniforms, workers, etc. Enjoy.

Leines

Jan 27, 2013
No need to either pay the exorbident taxi fare nor to walk all the way in the heat. Simply walk to the gate (a 10 minute walk) and outside the gate there is a bus shelter. Three buses (gua-gua -- they are really little vans) pass by there. These are part of the public transport system. To go to La Sirena (or Tropical Supermarket) or to go to Central Park and downtown take Bus B. In front of the van there is a sign with a big B. Do not take Bus C or F (those are the other ones that pass by) even if they say they go to central park -- they really do not pass that close to central park! The cost is 20 pesos per passenger. To return take the bus B from Central Park or you can take a taxi from La Sirena. The cost to Playa Dorado for a taxi from there will be 300 pesos. There is no schedule -- sometimes you have to wait 10-15 minutes, sometimes it comes right away.
This is the best and most interesting. I take it every day to go into the info center. Not only is it cheap and easy you get to see local people in their everyday lives -- school children in their uniforms, workers, etc. Enjoy.

Thanks, that's perfect, I assume that there are multiple bus stops along the way as well, so if I decided to walk then got tired we could still catch the gua gua?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
once again, the fare is 25 pesos now. the car will stop wherever you want, there are no bus stops as such.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
If you walk, just be careful of the sun. It is brutal mid day. Hopefully one side of the street will be in the shade.

Leines

Jan 27, 2013
If you walk, just be careful of the sun. It is brutal mid day. Hopefully one side of the street will be in the shade.

And my canadian winter white skin, will burn real fast I'm sure... I'll be sure to pack some serious sunscreen and wear a baseball hat...

Cheers