Tipping cab trivers

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
If I agree on a price for a fare with the cab driver/dispatcher in advance for a ride from Las Americas to my hotel in Santo Domingo, will the driver also be expecting a tip like in the United States? If so, how much is appropriate?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
If I agree on a price for a fare with the cab driver/dispatcher in advance for a ride from Las Americas to my hotel in Santo Domingo, will the driver also be expecting a tip like in the United States? If so, how much is appropriate?
No, he will not be expecting a tip. The current rate is $40 USD. There have been posted several ways you can save a few bucks but I really don't think the hassle is worth it.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
will the driver also be expecting a tip like in the United States?

"Expecting"? Prolly not. Would he appreciate one? Prolly so.

In all my years I've never understood the questions on tipping. The exchange rate is like 40 to 1 right now. Is 10% of a cab fare worth it to do the right thing and help someone along in a tough economy?

When in doubt, TIP....it goes a long way in making friends in a place where you are a foreigner.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
will the driver also be expecting a tip like in the United States?

"Expecting"? Prolly not. Would he appreciate one? Prolly so.

In all my years I've never understood the questions on tipping. The exchange rate is like 40 to 1 right now. Is 10% of a cab fare worth it to do the right thing and help someone along in a tough economy?

When in doubt, TIP....it goes a long way in making friends in a place where you are a foreigner.

Tipping taxi drivers is not, as far as I know, generally done by Dominicans. The drivers do not expect a tip like in the US.

Not to sound like Scrooge, but when foreigners tip "to make friends" the result is often to cause service providers to expect tips from foreigners.

I think when you are in a foreign country you should do what the people of that country do. Not import practices from other countries.

drewboy

May 30, 2011
It's a hard habit to break. Canadian's are like Canoes, we tip. I will try not to though.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011

The driver is not expecting a tip. Just pay him what you've already agreed on!

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
I've paid taxi with RD$200.00, fare was RD$180.00 he goes looking for the RD$20.00 change and I take it!

and from SDQ to go anywhere in taxi, always, always ask them to see el "Libro de Tariffa" and bet your greenacks it comes out cheaper paying in pesos. The Tariff book does have price listed in dollars too.

g'luck

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007

If I drive you from the airport to your destination for sure you'll hand me a good tip... I will try you same like a king, the way you have never been served in your country of origin, tips are always welcomes by the the taxi drivers.

I made good money out tips while driving cabs in DR, not only from foreigners but also from locals.

JJ

Aug 19, 2004
I think when you are in a foreign country you should do what the people of that country do. Not import practices from other countries.

Good advice. It is interesting to read the forums of Trip Advisor where Americans do not seem to understand that their extreme tipping culture is not followed else where in the world.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Hold it! I'm as much opposed to auto-tipping as most of the posters here, but . . . .

There may be times when a driver has performed an extra service, willingly and perhaps even without being asked. (It has happened, O' ye of little faith.) He may point out a pefect spot for a photo-op overlooking the ocean. He may carry bags for you. He might answer your questions about . . . whatever. He (?) [Wait-a-bit are there any women taxi drivers in the DR? I don't think I've ever seen one.]

Under some circumstances then, by all means do add a modest gratuity. Otherwise it's like giving candy to the poor kids: they'll start to expect it and it won't be good for them in the long run.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2011
If I drive you from the airport to your destination for sure you'll hand me a good tip... I will try you same like a king, the way you have never been served in your country of origin, tips are always welcomes by the the taxi drivers.

I made good money out tips while driving cabs in DR, not only from foreigners but also from locals.

JJ

Appreciation is never out of line.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
The problem with tipping is that it might get out of control. Sooner or later they will be expecting it and
they will use it to their advantage.Don't try to change the custom, instead learn to adjust.

Dec 26, 2011
The problem with tipping is that it might get out of control. Sooner or later they will be expecting it and
they will use it to their advantage.Don't try to change the custom, instead learn to adjust.

Have you ever waited tables, tended bar or driven a taxi? Been a delivery person? It changes your perspective.

As the tip's given after the service is rendered and not prior to, it has no effect on the quality of the service. But if bachata's been your taxista and he's been informative, friendly and especially helpful wouldn't it feel good to give him a little something extra as a gesture of gratitude for a job not simply done but well done?

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Have you ever waited tables, tended bar or driven a taxi? Been a delivery person? It changes your perspective.

As the tip's given after the service is rendered and not prior to, it has no effect on the quality of the service. But if bachata's been your taxista and he's been informative, friendly and especially helpful wouldn't it feel good to give him a little something extra as a gesture of gratitude for a job not simply done but well done?

Yes,I've waited on tables.

The problem here in the DR is that once it becomes a habit,they will be expecting
it and if not given you will not get the same treatment that was once given to you.

That's all I'm trying to say and as usual you are going off in another direction.