Cuban Salsa Lessons In Sosua

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Salsa lessons being offered by the Almalibre Dance School at the Platinum Gym in Sosua. This is not a gym activity, you do not need to be a member of the gym to take the lessons. Lessons open to the public.

Lessons offered beginners to advanced, with courses on Mondays at 7pm and Wednesday at 6 pm.

For registration and more information:

Call Alex: 809-803-7833 or Nina: 809-664-3948

almalibredanceschoolcabarete@gmail.com

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
That's all good, but there is no such thing as Cuban Salsa, bro. Maybe they are talking about Son or any other rhythm from Cuba. Salsa is originally from NYC.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Whether it originated from NYC, Salsa has traveled. Cuban Salsa is what Cuban now refers as Timba.

Timba - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[video=youtube;n2L091jFLo8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2L091jFLo8[/video]

Love this video, the music and the dancers (OMG !!! :nervous:).

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
That's all good, but there is no such thing as Cuban Salsa, bro. Maybe they are talking about Son or any other rhythm from Cuba. Salsa is originally from NYC.
You just called @Ken bro?
Se?or or Abuelo might be more appropriate.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002

Call the numbers indicated and take it up with Alex and Nina. Their poster says "CUBAN SALSA".

You seem to have a typo in your message. The word "bro" is not in my dictionary. Neither English or Spanish.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
More great news. I have been dying to hone my "horizontal mambo" and "slow grind" dance skills

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
Love this video, the music and the dancers (OMG !!! :nervous:).

That's my buddy, Maykel Fonts from Cuba in the video, as one of the dancers. He is based in Europe, but is coming to NYC soon with Juan Matos, a famous Dominican salsa dancer who is based in Italy now.

[video=youtube;1qyynKzfRcY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qyynKzfRcY[/video]

Combo

Mar 29, 2011

You're being a bit too literal for this forum. Yes, Son (the Grandfather of Salsa) is from Cuba. And yes, the Puerto Ricans in NYC took it and make it into something a bit different which came to be marketed as "Salsa. " But nowadays, Cuban Salsa just refers to one of the styles of dancing Salsa (as opposed to Cross-body-lead style). So Cuban Salsa is a pretty legitimate expression.

I think a more accurate expression for all of these would be Afro-Latin. Frankie Martinez says he dances "Afro-Latin Funk."

Love those clips of Juan Matos and Fonts.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You're being a bit too literal for this forum. Yes, Son (the Grandfather of Salsa) is from Cuba. And yes, the Puerto Ricans in NYC took it and make it into something a bit different which came to be marketed as "Salsa. " But nowadays, Cuban Salsa just refers to one of the styles of dancing Salsa (as opposed to Cross-body-lead style). So Cuban Salsa is a pretty legitimate expression.

Salsa dance (Cuban Style) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012

Yes, I know I was. I just thought that if you are interested enough in a rhythm to learn how to dance, you might as well be interested in its origins. That's all.

Ken, I'm sorry if I offended you calling you "bro", I didn't mean to be disrespectful at all. I use it more as a affectionate term.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
That's my buddy, Maykel Fonts from Cuba in the video, as one of the dancers. He is based in Europe, but is coming to NYC soon with Juan Matos, a famous Dominican salsa dancer who is based in Italy now.

I knew Maykel fonts Viajero, amazing dancer. And, he is sooooooo fine, LOL.