Marmolene construction costs - high and low?

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
We are having a home built in Las Terrenas, and the builder gave us an option for an optional sunning area around the pool of 20m2 or 215 square feet.

The price quote came in at $6900 which came out to $32.00 a square foot? (!!)

He does fabulous work and the quality will be second to none, we feel. :nervous:

But the price seems high, can someone give us an idea for high-quality comparison cost for marmolene in the greater Samana peninsula area of the DR from a dependable contractor?

We thought of concrete as an alternative but that cracks over time as we all know...

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Probably a better option would be to go with the coral tiles that run around RD550 per M2 as the marmolina would be very slippery when wet.

HIRAM

Mar 19, 2005
We are having a home built in Las Terrenas, and the builder gave us an option for an optional sunning area around the pool of 20m2 or 215 square feet.

The price quote came in at $6900 which came out to $32.00 a square foot? (!!)

He does fabulous work and the quality will be second to none, we feel. :nervous:

But the price seems high, can someone give us an idea for high-quality comparison cost for marmolene in the greater Samana peninsula area of the DR from a dependable contractor?

We thought of concrete as an alternative but that cracks over time as we all know...

MARMOLINA : uncomforable, hot AND slippery.
I prefer lajas. Natural stone.

Tonydomrep

Feb 22, 2009
difficult to say if the price is correct. If there is nothing at this moment... you can not put coralina or marmolina on grass, so you need concrete under it.
Comparing a quote from a contractor is difficult to compare with the price that Chip gave, 550 pesos per m2, which by the way are more expensive. In general around 800-900 pesos per m2. Only the tiles.

Both marmolina and coralina can be slippery or not slippery. Depends on the finishing. Natural stones the same. Can be slippery as well.

An option would be wood. And the same... can be slippery and not slippery.

I just added a 10 m2 balata wood small sundeck. Over grass. Added small colums in the grass and fixed with concrete. The wood under the deck as well, fixed with concrete.
Balata without any finishing. Is not necessary. Stays good in the sun and rain and is not slippery. And i paid 35.000 pesos for everything.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Marmolina"??????????????????????????????????????
I thought that was what the Australians spread on toast?????
And to kill rabbits.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

B J

Feb 20, 2013
no thats MARMITE. But to be honest your thinking of Vegimetwe. Americans sheeesh!!! Settle down big guy im just playing with you