Ecotourism link

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
This site is well organized, informative and gives the reader a wide view of the extent to which eco-tourism thrives in the DR. This is a growing area of tourism and the various Ministries need to put more emphasis on this in their travel advertising initiatives. The beauty of the DR is that it has such a wide variety of ecology and topography and can compete with the likes of Costa Rica for the eco-tourism dollars. Thanks for sharing this web site with us.

LTSTeve

Aug 19, 2004
Interesting and informative site - shows there is more to the Dominican Republic than an outback safari from Punta Cana.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
"Ecotourism" has such a feel-good ring to it. Problem is ET appeals to such a teeny tiny sliver of the tourism market and a cheap, unmonied sliver at that.

Think Pi2/yabadabadu when he travels...

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
cheap yeah.. un monied.. not so much

Most of Latin America has had this type of Lonely Planet style tourism for years..

and if Lonely Planet had done its job here we could have it here as well.. folks who are on the fifty bucks and under .. not necessairly solar oven and seaweed.. But that is how I traveled Costa Rica and Mexico... public transport, .... and if there were good guide books that got folks out to Rio Limpio or places it might work.

Costa Rica built most of its toursim repubation on this sliver.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
cheap yeah.. un monied.. not so much

Most of Latin America has had this type of Lonely Planet style tourism for years..

and if Lonely Planet had done its job here we could have it here as well.. folks who are on the fifty bucks and under .. not necessairly solar oven and seaweed.. But that is how I traveled Costa Rica and Mexico... public transport, .... and if there were good guide books that got folks out to Rio Limpio or places it might work.

Costa Rica built most of its toursim repubation on this sliver.
Cheap or unmonied, the results are about the same.

Fact is the DR was FOUNDED on cheap tourism...in AI's...

Even in CR "ecotourism" is a tiny sliver of the tourist pie. However, some "ecotourist" lodges are NOT cheap.

It's not Lonely Planet's fault.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
i think that half of the adventure will be getting to those adventures.. I know that I have tried to find the chocolate tour more than once. Seems to work better if you are a group of 14 or so...

I'm sure one phone call and we'll have it all lined up. That is if I can convince my wife of how valuable an exerience it would be for grade six, or seven, or eight.