Cargo (Pet) Shipping vs Excess Baggage

Man?el

Jul 22, 2012
I've checked delta baggage info and for one person:
- up to 10 bags are allowed
- 1 bag = max 70lbs
- 2 bags of 50 lbs = free
- the 3rd bag (up to 10) = $200 each
- $150 windsurfing board (will have more bags for sails and everything, doesn't count towards baggage count)
- $125 dog or we can get the dog shipped by United Cargo for $350 (I think it doesn't count either).

So the windsurfing "board" is $150 unlike the $200 regular fee. I wonder if I can stuff 3 boards in one bag and call it my windsurfing board bag, so long as it's under 70lbs? Otherwise, I can probably manage to do 2 big bags (< 70lbs) which would cost me $400. Or have the other windsurfing bag, my wife's windsurfing board bag and have it cost $150 as well for a better total of $300.

Now I haven't checked to get stuff shipped via cargo except for the dog because of temperature restrictions (won't check in dog if temps are either departure or arrival is 85F+).

Will Santo Domingo (or Puerto Plata) be at or over 85F in April?

Is there import tax when shipping stuff but not with luggage?

Any other tips / other airline I should check?

We are in Denver right now, and were thinking about driving to Atlanta to get a direct flight to Santo Domingo for the dog.

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
Since the average winter temp is close to 80-82 degrees and looking to May you might be well over the 85 degree F temps by then - sending your pup via aircargo is really risky I believe and some airlines (US Airways) no longer carries pets in cargo.

Man?el

Jul 22, 2012
We are looking to go in March but may be late and April could be more realistic, that's why we are afraid of the temps being too high. They wouldn't allow us to check her if temps are greater than 85F but cargo is fine because of the more temp-controlled environment?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
30 celsius, eh? it could be more in april, unless it rains...
i see you think SD or POP? try to fly directly to wherever you are going. it will be hell to get across the country with so much luggage and a dog.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Are you moving here, or just visiting? And if visiting, for how long?

I brought my two dogs with me via Delta in March 2011 and did not have a bit of problem. I drove to Atlanta (a four-hour drive) so they could fly directly. It was an early-morning flight and the dogs handled it well, although it took them a couple of days to recover from the travel. I made sure the captain knew there were two dogs in the cargo hold.

However, if I were only coming for a visit of a month or less, I would find trustworthy accomodations at home.

H20SKI

Jun 2, 2011
We moved here from Denver - in April - a few years ago. We shipped our dogs as cargo via Continental (now United). They spent the night in Newark, then on to POP. No problem with temps since the cargo hold can apparently be regulated whereas the baggage hold is not. We, too, considered the cross-country drive, but once we figured out the cost (rental big enough to hold 2 carriers, gas, hotels, etc.) it was cheaper/faster to ship them - even using a pet relocation company (PM me if you want the name - highly recommend them). Figured that was better so all the paperwork would be correct. They also sent us texts with status updates the entire time - made us feel much better knowing all was going as planned. On POP end, we hired Judy at Judy's Pet Lodge to get them from the airport. She knows the ropes out there. She delivered them to our door (since we had no car yet) less than an hour after the flight landed.

Man?el

Jul 22, 2012
We'd be... "moving" ... :nervous:
We have been crate-training our dog, fun, fun! (she hates it!)

I like the pet cargo idea, plus it will give us more time to get ready and not have to rush to leave.
However, since she won't fly direct, we might as well leave from Denver with her, that is if we can leave early enough for her to be comfortable.

In regards to the windsurfing equipment, I can try making two big bags under 70 lbs and go from there...
I don't think I could get them shipped for less than $300. It costs about $100 to ship a single board across the US.

Man?el

Jul 22, 2012
We ended up flying United.
We had two 50lb bags each. It was $25 for the first one and $40 for the second, something like that.
The windsurfing bag was $200 for 100lb. It took 7 people and about 1.5hrs to check in.
We flew the dog with Pet Safe, worked great but cost more than our ticket (amazing isn't it), her weight + crate was like 80lbs.
There was no restriction on temperatures because her spot was temp-controlled.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Manuel:

Your info on the number of pieces of luggage you can bring with you to the DR is not accurate. Those numbers may apply to Domestic flights within the Continental US but not the Caribbean. If you look under baggage requirements for flights into the DR is says that there is a maximum of 2 checked bags per person and those bags are 50#s or less. If you are over those numbers or over weight you will pay considerably more. Your best bet is to talk directly to someone in Delta Reservations and see what your options are for your boards.

LTSteve

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
He flew UNITED, not Delta. United allows coach class passengers 2 checked bags no more than 50 pounds each. First bag is $25 and second is $40. They DO allow a third bag, but charge steeply for it. That's why his windsurfing bag, at 100 pounds was so expensive to check.

United also permits Business Class passengers to check three bags, up to 70 pounds apiece. I am certain - I do it all the time. My most recent flight was Feb. 28.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Plus, United is the old Continental.... the best animal carrier available.... dedicated 800# to track your animal.

Costly, but good - especially for unaccompanied pets...... sleepovers in EWR, the works.