Flight to DR diverted due to unruly passengers

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
A flight headed from Halifax, NS, Canada to the DR was forced to land in Bermuda on Friday. Two Canadian passengers insisted on smoking during the flight, and became disruptive and abusive when asked to stop. I certainly feel badly for the other passengers who were inconvenienced by these nutcases, as well as their son. Arrogance? Drunkeness? Stupidity? Probably all three and then some, but no excuse. Sunwing plans to sue. Reminds me of an episode of Trailer Park Boys.

Unruly Sunwing passengers sentenced in Bermuda court - Nova Scotia - CBC News

May 29, 2006
Some drunk guy on a flight from Iceland to NYC got disruptive a couple weeks back. They knew how to dealt with him:

original.jpg

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
It would be handy if someone would build a plane to accommodate smokers. I don't smoke anymore but I used to and remember the long flights without a smoke would be terrible. That couples with most people having a drink while waiting for the plane makes things worse, hence these two retards, but with modern technology we seem to have gone backwards on this one, don't you think?

charlie&ziggy

Mar 1, 2009
LOL, I saw this on the news earlier, What a pair of Ididots. I feel for the smokers on a long flight too, being a casual smoker ( when I drink). 40K is what Sunwing is going to sue them for and ban them from future flying. They are a piece of work, I work with alot of eastern Canucks, dare I say more....... Glad they are not all like that.....

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
I used to be a firefighter at the airpport in Bermuda and we always used to get diversions for distrubances or medicals and most of the flights were coming from or going to the DR alot of the medical emergencies where older Domincand males having heart problems. On time a Domincan guy got so drunk and ran down the aisle trying to open the doors some passengers detained him and the plane diverted to Bermuda and he was arrested and taken off the plane !!

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
But Sunwing is expected to press charges to recuperate the money for the expenses incurred
while diverting the flight to Bermuda.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
But Sunwing is expected to press charges to recuperate the money for the expenses incurred
while diverting the flight to Bermuda.

Yes, to the tune of $50,000 for costs incurred as a result.

• Landing fees at Bermuda airport.
  • Flying a mechanic to Bermuda to examine the aircraft for defects (standard operating procedure for overweight planes.)
  • Cost to hire crew to search plane for cigarette butts to make sure they were extinguished.
  • Accommodations for passengers and crew overnight in Bermuda.
  • Accommodations for passengers scheduled to fly home from the Dominican Republic on the diverted plane.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Hah.................the vacation from Hell.
And just think, they brought it all on themselves.

May 5, 2007
I’m not going to pretend I understand the laws of the Bahamas (English?) or Canadian, and compliment them on their speedy trial, but: I don’t get the part where prosecutors decided not to proceed and yet they were fined? Was there a plea agreement reached and not reported, or...

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
I used to be a firefighter at the airpport in Bermuda and we always used to get diversions for distrubances or medicals and most of the flights were coming from or going to the DR alot of the medical emergencies where older Domincand males having heart problems. On time a Domincan guy got so drunk and ran down the aisle trying to open the doors some passengers detained him and the plane diverted to Bermuda and he was arrested and taken off the plane !!

what happened to him?!?! ... was he hitchhiking the next yola to continue his trip? :D