Introduction

jrvilanova

Feb 5, 2013
Dear all
First of all, my most sincere congratulations to the dr1 people. I have done my share of search and research on the net but dr1 stands out as the most comprehensive, reliable, sensitive and coherent website that I have found. As the "title" says, I am planning my last move. I am a hospitality consultant/executive and lived in 13 countries but now its time to face my last stretch and seek my last assignment: retirement. I was assigned to the DR for years at different stages of my professional career so I believe I "get it" when talking about the DR. Nonetheless, I came to a surprising conclusion on my own: I realized that living and working in the DR in the past is one thing and planning to retire in the DR its another. I was amazed about how many questions and doubts I have now when evaluating DR as my "retirement" place. I would have no problem answering or addressing questions about the tourism and hospitality industry in DR....but I go speechless when it comes to issues concerning retirement and living on your own. Anyways, to finish up this introduction, my name is Jorge, a citizen of the world born in Madrid, Spain. Aged 52, divorced, USA college education, obviously speak Spanish, three kids that already are on their own and with my now better half from Lithuania. I will be investing on my own "retirement" business and that's all set.

I do have plenty of questions and I promise not to saturate the forums with all of them at once. I will first review postings and threads that might produce answers to my questions. If not, I will gradually and in an orderly manner, will begin to throw questions right and left..:)

Thank you all in advance for your valuable help.

jonytuga

Oct 16, 2012
"Bem vindo" welcome to the forum:cool: congratulations on your retirement, your plan sounds good to me.
JT

Big_Poppi2

Mar 30, 2008
Aguilas Cibae?as
www.facebook.com
Hello, Hola Jorge, Bienvenidos to DR1, and I hope I can assist you also if I have any information on your questions. I have just one question for you myself. Though I have never been to Madrid, I have heard and seen reviews that it is a beautiful place. I know that spain itself is a beautiful country, also. Why not retire there? Don't get me wrong, I believe the Dominican Republic to be the most beautiful in people, culture and so many other ways, but just curious about your home town and country. Sorry, one more question, ja, ja, ja, you got any vaction hookups on DR trips are maybe some other places? Thanks again in adavance and God bless
Biggs :D

jrvilanova

Feb 5, 2013
Reply to Big Poppi

Fair and legitimate questions mate. Thank you for your welcome Biggs. To answer to your first question, well, the truth of the matter is that although I was born in Spain I started to hit the road at the age of 17 and since then, other than just a few years all together, and always due to professional assignments, I really never lived there. My mother was Cuban and my father, Spaniard, did not have any brother or sisters therefore I have no family roots in Spain. Of course, I love Spain but the list of "buts" its long to really consider Spain as a retirement option. First, of course, its cost of living. I am sure you will agree that 1.000 euros in DR go a long way. A 1.000 euros in Spain or in any European country for that matter will barely raise you to the "survival level". Then is the Spanish taxing system which is very, VERY, hungry these days and do not forgive or have any concessions for an old bag like myself seeking peace and quiet. Then is the weather...no need to explain here. Then is the social tension, frayed nerves of the whole Spanish society due the enormous financial and economical turmoil shaking Spanish economy. Not a nice view to watch from your windows. Then is the business opportunity and ease to invest with a minimal, safe, return of investment and profit levels which, in Spain, would be suicidal. And then...of course...is that I love merengue, mangu, rum and love to golf....and, in case all this its not enough....because my wife says so..:)

I dont have (yet) any vacation hookups...but I could sure help you out if you really need me...

Cheers!

Hello, Hola Jorge, Bienvenidos to DR1, and I hope I can assist you also if I have any information on your questions. I have just one question for you myself. Though I have never been to Madrid, I have heard and seen reviews that it is a beautiful place. I know that spain itself is a beautiful country, also. Why not retire there? Don't get me wrong, I believe the Dominican Republic to be the most beautiful in people, culture and so many other ways, but just curious about your home town and country. Sorry, one more question, ja, ja, ja, you got any vaction hookups on DR trips are maybe some other places? Thanks again in adavance and God bless
Biggs :D

jrvilanova

Feb 5, 2013
Overwhelming welcome ladies and gents...thank you so much for your notes....I already feel like at home..:)

jrvilanova

Feb 5, 2013
Thank you all....!

Overwhelming welcome ladies and gents...thank you so much for your notes....I already feel like at home..:)