1st timer--- Sosua or Punta Cana

majorplates

Jan 28, 2013
Hello guys, Ill be traveling out the country for the first time in a few weeks for my b-day (Feb 21st) and was wondering which was the best place to go, Sosua or Punta Cana. I've heard great things about both places but cant seem to decide although im leaning toward Sosua. as for me, I'll be turning 25, AA male and ill be traveling alone. my friends bailed on me but hey a man's got to do what a man's got to do right? naturally im looking to meet girls but im also looking to have a good time, go to the beach, relax a bit, do some fun stuff( water activities, hikes etc if possible) but most importantly be safe. Any suggestions or tips for a newbie like me on things/people to look out for and places to rent or stay?

also im aware that i may have to pay to play, not ideal but im not opposed to it. Just looking for a safe great time!

Thanks! :D

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
girls are to be found everywhere so i am not going to address that :) if you want fun, nightlife and water sports i'd suggest cabarete, just few kilometers from sosua. lots of young people, discos and clubs in the best area for water/wind sports: from kite surfing to swimming.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
yeah, in Sosua but not in P.C. or Cabarete-wrong!!!!!!! Anyone who "dates" a working girl should assume she is hiv+. Otherwise you are rolling the dice and gambling with your health. Sosua and Cabarete are close to each other -maybe 15 minutes by taxi.

majorplates

Jan 28, 2013
Thanks guys, Cabarete it is! Any suggestions on where to stay? Places that will be ok with me with bringing guests back. or is a vacation rental my best option?

Preston

Nov 13, 2011
"Thanks guys, Cabarete it is! Any suggestions on where to stay? Places that will be ok with me with bringing guests back. or is a vacation rental my best option?"

I had a great time at Hideaway Beach - Hideaway Beach Resort. I had a great view from the 2nd floor, two balconies, one overlooking the pool and the other the beach. But as a first-timer, I would highly caution you: Do NOT bring guests back. I don't want you to become a first and only timer.

Have fun!

Preston

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Hotel Alegria is guest friendly and very close to all the action.

But as Preston says, don't bring a chica back to your room, unless she is a foreigner. The cabanas aren't too far away

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
But as a first-timer, I would highly caution you: Do NOT bring guests back. I don't want you to become a first and only timer.

Have fun!

What will happen if he brings guests back?
Why do you highly caution the OP< not just caution?

majorplates

Jan 28, 2013
thanks for the suggestions! ok ill take you guys advice and not bring a chica back to my place but like Tamborista, im curious as to why you advise against this.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
thanks for the suggestions! ok ill take you guys advice and not bring a chica back to my place but like Tamborista, im curious as to why you advise against this.

Some, not all of the guys posting on this thread are shackled to their 250LB wives and don't want you to enjoy yourself.

Wear your Jimmy Hat, lock up all your stuff, and make sure your novia has a cedula and is not a crack head.

May 29, 2006
Bring a $20 portable safe. Make sure the key is VERY well hidden as well as the safe itself. I keep one of these in my car, out of site. Cell phones, watches, cash. I don't trust in room hotel safes.

Stack-On Portable Security Case with Lock - 1028764 | Tractor Supply Company

Anything over $5 is worth stealing. I've heard guys complain that some girl took $1000 from them then snuck out while they were sleeping. I didn't have much sympathy. BTW, ATMS are everywhere.
Wear bling and you'll attract the thieves. Why guys wear watches while on vacation is a mystery to me...

Also be careful with the booze. It's really easy to overdo it with ice cold beers, esp on the first couple days when you're not used to the heat.

May 29, 2006
Ok, but 7000 isn't 90% is it? I don't know the pop of POP, but would put it at 50,000.
Der Fish

The main mode of transmission of HIV/AIDS in the Dominican Republic is through heterosexual sex. Roughly 1.7% of the Dominican population has been infected with the disease, which translates to an estimated 88,000 people infected in the country. Of the 88,000 infected with HIV/AIDS, 62,800 are adult men between the ages of 15 and 49, and according to USAID, of all HIV/AIDS cases reported, nearly three quarters are male.

HIV/AIDS and the Dominican Republic: A look at a Pandemic

So that leaves 25,200 women, and I'd bet half of those are Haitian girls.

spmc

Nov 7, 2008
The main mode of transmission of HIV/AIDS in the Dominican Republic is through heterosexual sex. Roughly 1.7% of the Dominican population has been infected with the disease, which translates to an estimated 88,000 people infected in the country. Of the 88,000 infected with HIV/AIDS, 62,800 are adult men between the ages of 15 and 49, and according to USAID, of all HIV/AIDS cases reported, nearly three quarters are male.

This does not seem right. I thought women were more at risk from heterosexual sex.

Preston

Nov 13, 2011
"What will happen if he brings guests back?
Why do you highly caution the OP< not just caution?"

The OP is a 1st timer AND traveling alone. If he doesn't speak Spanish, he becomes a more attractive target to a seasoned professional. I don't know what will happen, but I do know what has happened. Most of the stories I've heard about were unpleasant and several members of this community have shared plenty of them. (Majorplates: use the Search function!)

I used "highly caution" to stress how important it is to be aware at all times. He may go and have an event-free experience, but I would be negligent if I did not tell him the truth as I understand it.

Preston

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Take Tambo's advice.

Go to the Sosua area. Use common sense and protection. Relax, and enjoy your trip.

There are a ton of things to do on the North Coast besides chasing chicas. The beaches are pretty, there's lots of hiking/cycling/ATV trails, and neat little towns to explore during the day.

Have a great time, and don't worry about the naysayers, some on here would advise you to stay clear of Hawaii because, after all, it IS just a series of volcanoes, and you just never know....