MW4DR looking for interested Dominican women

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
MIDWIVES FOR THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC is an organization dedicated to promote the health and well-being of women and families in the Dominican Republic through the development and support of the profession of midwifery.

IT IS OUR GOAL TO:
* Educate women in the Dominican Republic on childbirth and their reproductive lives as a whole
* Promote public awareness of midwifery
* Empower Dominican women to pursue their desires as women's health professionals
* Introduce different birthing options and support women's informed choices
* Lobby and advocate for issues related to midwifery and women's health care
* Promote interprofessional communication and collaboration
* Reduce the Dominican Maternal and Infant mortality rate through education, service, and lobbying
* Reduce the Dominican adolescent pregnancy rate through education and service
* Reduce the Dominican national Cesarean Section rate through education, service, and lobbying

We are now looking for women in the Cibao area who have a desire to serve pregnant women. We are training women to become Doulas and Childbirth Educators so that we may hold more Prenatal classes and activities in the poor communities of Santiago and the surrounding areas. We are partnered with Liga de La Leche, Santiago (La Leche League) and a newly found organization in Santo Domingo called Doulas Dominicanas with which I am working with another member to have a sector started here n Santiago.

The women interested must understand that this will be a non-paid, volunteer position and although they will not have to pay for any training or training materials, when they confirm to teach a class they will not receive compensation for teaching the classes. We are looking for women who have a desire to serve, not those looking for employment. As the organization grows, when we are actually receiving funds, we will address at that time the possibility of a stipend for classes taught.

Women interested must have at least a high school education, and be able to read and write and comprehend written material. Training programs will include written material, videos, hands-on demonstrations, etc.
The Childbirth Educator training will be 3 Intensive days, held in Cabarete, for any woman interested transport, food, shelter and all training materials will be free with the exception of them bringing their own pen and notebook. This training will prepare them to teach INITIAL prenatal classes. They will be responsible to attend monthly meetings of Doulas Dominicanas and teach 1 prenatal class every other week (two per month). Since MIDWIVES FOR THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC will provide them with a curriculum to follow, all classes will be taught the same information. It will be MW4DR who will find the area to hold the classes, provide the materials, and snack. Therefore the Educators have only to concentrate on the material being taught. The Educators will be given an area based on where they live and their ease of access to get to the meeting spot.
Women who show an increased interest may be able to attend Doula training in the winter of 2013 or spring 2014. This is depending on MW4DR funds and the interest and track record of the women involved as Doula training is a week long intensive training and is very cost prohibitive.
La Liga de Leche also holds prenatal classes but they require a fee. MIDIWIVES FOR THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC will be providing Prenatal classes to all women without an fee, in addition, we will be entering the communities to teach rather than asking them to come to us.

So, if you know of any Dominican women that may be interested in becoming a Childbirth Educator, possibly a Doula, and who knows...maybe a future Midwife please PM and provide me with their name and telephone number. The Intensives will start late spring, early summer, with expectation to start their classes in September.
Thanks

SHALENA

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Also, we are always accepting donations. No donation is too small. No Administrator is paid (in fact, I actually pay to have most of the projects done out of my own pocket). Your donations will go for food, snacks for the classes (some of the poorest areas, class may be the only time that some of those girls/women eat that day), teaching materials, advertising (to get more money), necessary donations to women in public hospitals, etc.
You can donate via PayPal, we are parterasrd@hotmail.com
If you do not have a PayPal account or bank card, you can PM me and I can give you my US address to send donations or if in Santiago, I can meet to pick it up. We are still only state non-profit, we have not raised enough money yet to pay for the Federal non-profit 501(c)(3) process so the donations unfortunately are not tax deductible at this time.
Thanks

SHALENA

JessicaRabbit

Sep 21, 2009
Id like to do that, but im not dominican woman... And i can give classes only on the north coast. Always wanted to be a midwife. Can i be any help? My spanish is getting better :)

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Definitely Mrs. Rabbit :)
We were just looking for more Dominican women as we want to empower them and be seen as an organization for the advancement of Dominican women rather than a bunch of expats coming in and taking over. But we need as many educators as we can get and one of our Administrators lives in Cabarete, I am sure that she would love some help on the North Coast.
PM me your real name and number and your email address.
The more areas that we enter and make change the better for us, we will be propositioning the Government in 2-3 years for a change in the health law to include Midwives. This will take a couple of years of education and collaboration between us and the medical system. We have come very far so far and the future looks bright.
If you desire to become a Midwife, I suggest you look into your options. There are many distance learning options with clinicals in your home town.
Thanks for your interest, look forward to meeting you. I'm not as bad as I come across! LOL

SHALENA