• No, but will be getting one soon.

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • No and I don't plan to get one.

Votes: 28 51.9%

• Total voters

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Everyone is pretty much aware that gun ownership is quite common in the Dominican Republic. Most people seem to own a gun for personal security, while others do so because they like them.

What does the DR1 community think about this?

Do you own a gun? If you do, do you leave it at home or in the car or always carry it with you?

Do you think guns a necessity in the Dominican Republic?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Guns are silly unless you know how to use them. Watching a guy who knows how to use a gun is impressive. confidently and not stupidly in the hand, it selles confidence. A guy who doesn't looks a shmuck and will be make of one, FACT.

If you don't know guns, don't buy one here, you will kill the milk man and end up doing 20 years. If you know guns then buy one, you know the score.

Simple!

Do you need one? Not if you don't **** off your barber, by slanging his name around town, he has sheers? he has guns!!!

Actually we have a gloc somewhere but we don't know where we hid it, brugal:pirate:

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Don't have a gun, don't plan on getting one, but I might get a fancier bicycle ;)

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
Depends on who you are, as an expat I believe I am a target and I do carry every where it is legal to be armed at all times, including on the job.

I carry the standard 9 mm, if I got to go where, I call the war zone, I carry my 12 gage semi auto as well.

HERE, everywhere HERE, Eyes Wide Open all the time!

g'luck

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
Great question. I own guns here in the U.S. because I collect them. All W.W..II.....
But the next question should be.....
If you own a gun in the D.R......are you prepared to use it? And are you prepared for the family seeking revenge and the court system against you?

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I took a handgun course at the Fin, Fur and Feather Club in Millis, Massachusetts some years ago.

The instructor asked everybody to tell why they were taking the course. Of the dozen or so people in the course I was the only one who said "for home defense".

They awarded me the nickname Rambo. :D

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I qualified on various weapons every year for 35 years, and before that I hunted Moose, Deer, ducks, geese, grouse, squirrels, and various other critters with a variety of guns. All this led me to believe guns are for killing things. I have no desire to kill anyone so I will not have a gun. I think as an expat in the DR having a pistol makes me a bigger target. Yes, I can hit where I point usually within a couple of inches. One weekend I fired 2400 rounds- hurts the shoulder regardless of how much muscle you have.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
g'luck GLOCK

Depends on who you are, as an expat I believe I am a target and I do carry every where it is legal to be armed at all times, including on the job.

I carry the standard 9 mm, if I got to go where, I call the war zone, I carry my 12 gage semi auto as well.

HERE, everywhere HERE, Eyes Wide Open all the time!

g'luck

Imagine a world without guns and bombs.
Yes,I know what happened to John but I still imagine.

You must be an American agent and danger surrounds you everywhere.

I'm a lucky no body, I eat mangu for breakfast after my wife wakes me with a loving smile.
Fruit salad for lunch, beer and rum on the beach discreetly observing life's beauty.
Work out in the afternoon, so I'm in shape to run from danger faster than a speeding bullet... zig zagging for added protection.
At night I'm back in the loving embrace of my wife.
If anyone entered my bedroom at night I would blow them away with my Glock, if I had one.
But I assure you Ton Plakkaar did have no fun after he had to shoot and defend himself!!!
No easy answers.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
If you can (allowed) to own a gun, than own one! If you don't want to own a gun than don't. Just stay within your comfort zone and the zone of your beliefs. Guns are not for everybody and many people are not responsible to carry or own one. If you get one, remember that you are responsible for every round that fires from it, so get trained.

I own numerous firearms, but I carry the one I received training on, so I know I am very proficient in its handling & use. I also walk & travel in the same areas that I feel safe being in, even if I was unarmed. So, I am no "Paul Kersey". Although, every area can turn dangerous, but some areas are safer than others. I try to rely on my experience to gauge my surroundings and body language of people. So if I am getting bad vibes about a place, I won't go, regardless if I am carrying or not.

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
Imagine a world without guns and bombs.
Yes,I know what happened to John but I still imagine.

You must be an American agent and danger surrounds you everywhere.

I'm a lucky no body, I eat mangu for breakfast after my wife wakes me with a loving smile.
Fruit salad for lunch, beer and rum on the beach discreetly observing life's beauty.
Work out in the afternoon, so I'm in shape to run from danger faster than a speeding bullet... zig zagging for added protection.
At night I'm back in the loving embrace of my wife.
If anyone entered my bedroom at night I would blow them away with my Glock, if I had one.
But I assure you Ton Plakkaar did have no fun after he had to shoot and defend himself!!!
No easy answers.

I am no agent, here 13 years, seen lots of crap, some recently, my next door nieghboring house, RD$10,000,000.00+ home, 7 breakins & 2 murders. Another neighbor 2 weeks ago, 3 in the afternoon, just retired from the DR Military, first days relaxing at home, house is in construction by the way, and 2 guys come wandering in and are surprised to find someone home and they shoot and wound him, he plays dead they drag him off away from the windows and split.

I live in a gated community with 24 hour guard service too.

Story after story

The a very humble well to do gentleman I know, randomly robbed at gun point, took everything, even his jeepeta, hes never been the same.

another occasion, His son, lives in very up scale neighborhood, comes home from the disco one saterday morning, 2 guys on a motorcycle quickly drive up to him as exits his vehiculo, bam bam bam beat snot out of the kid and rob him while his girlfreind is there screaming in horror.

They go on and on

Some are lucky to avoid the attack, hopefully their whole life, like maybe you will be so lucky, I hope I will be too, but just in case, just in case I plan to keep my eyes wide open and when necessary have an apropriate response so that I may grow old and watch my children grow to adulthood and stay peacefully snuggled up with my beloved wife for many more years to come.

g'luck

p.s. I new a guy who escaped from Cuba, was here for 1 1/2 years, good job making more $$ than he ever had in his whole life, He went back, said it is much safer there, not a comfortable but much safer. I can not vouch for him, as I never experiance Cuba, but I think regardless it does say something for the DR, and I really thing Santo Domingo itself.

p.s.s. Well and yes, I make it a point to avoid bad place, unlike some other wackos out there recently asking to be challanged to walk through places like Zuraza etc. etc., yes well I ain't afraid to do that myself, by why be so dumb to tempt fate to prove nothing.

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"FISH" said that "Normal People" should not own a gun.
Guess that's reason enough for me to have one!
I live next door to a general in the "Policia national"
He advises against shooting anyone, even a thief.
He said if you don't kill him, he'll be back to get you.
If you do kill him, his friends and/or family will come back to get you.
One way or another, you WILL go to jail, until the results of a lengthy investigation is done.
I would only use deadly force to protect the lives of my family, or myself inside our own home.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Davy_Crockett

Jan 22, 2013
Maaaaan!!! I never have the chance to shoot anyone.....

My driver picks me up at da airport in a convertible (strapped!!!:beard:) on my midnight flights into DR, looking for it:devious: and NO ONE wants it:(!!!

4yrs and my damn .357 SNUB hasn't been fired yet.

Last edited: