Who owns all of the taxi's in the heart of Sosua?

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
In Sosua there are three major taxi stands with vans that all look the same and I was wondering who owns the fleet or if they were individually owned.

The reason for this request is my scooter was damaged on Sunday by a taxi cab driver and he refuses to pay even though this event was seen by at least 3 people.

The damage is only $RD 1000 but the taxi driver is saying he has damage to his vehicle from running over my scooter .

He gave me his card and had lunch at Jolly Rogers where Patrons witnessed the entire event.

His name is Jose Del Carmen Martinez Ficha # F:121A

Celluar 829 901 8211

email josedelcamenm121@hotmail.com

Normally I would let this slide but when he said he has 3 people that would lie about what happened then I say NO WAY JOSE !

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Pay PC. Don't be stupid for $25 bucks....walk away, you've been here long enough to know that.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
My family own a cab business and own 30 new Yellow cabs that run the capital. There are 160 drivers on call over the week. If it is the same as here, just let it slide, cab business is crude, very crude!!

May 29, 2006
I knew a woman who was at the intersection to turn left to get to the Playero. She was trying to make a left hand turn but couldn't because of oncoming traffic and got rear ended by a Dominican driver. She was arrested for blocking traffic and had to pay for repairs on his car. The whole thing cost her close to $500. Any know of traffic court going in an ex-pats favor?

Just key a cab on the sly sometime and claim moral victory. Just don't get caught.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
It was a cab driver (in Puerto Plata) who knocked me down, ran over me (literally) and injured me so badly that it took over a year to recuperate and cost my US insurance company over $100,000 dollars for my medical care. That driver gave me his card too, and a week later gave me RD $2,000 while refusing to give me his insurance information.

I had to walk away because I was in such bad shape that it was physically impossible for me to go to the Fiscal, which would have been the thing to do.

I really don't think that there is a mindset that recognizes responsibility - don't we always say here that the quintessential Dominican expression is "no es mi culpa?"

Dec 26, 2011
I really don't think that there is a mindset that recognizes responsibility - don't we always say here that the quintessential Dominican expression is "no es mi culpa?"

It's a Christian nation.

LOL

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Is it right? NO!!! What can you do about it? Nothing. How you gonna get the money? Forget it and move on. They hit people all the time. No one can drive like they do and not be in accidents. I had a moto run into the back of my truck when I stopped at a light in PP. Heard the crash and looked in my mirror to see all sorts of plastic parts and the rider on the ground. I started to get out and then thought, why. Drove away and stopped later- no damage. Got lucky.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Is it right? NO!!! What can you do about it? Nothing. How you gonna get the money? Forget it and move on. They hit people all the time. No one can drive like they do and not be in accidents. I had a moto run into the back of my truck when I stopped at a light in PP. Heard the crash and looked in my mirror to see all sorts of plastic parts and the rider on the ground. I started to get out and then thought, why. Drove away and stopped later- no damage. Got lucky.

Probably saved yourself a lot of money for damage to moto, injuries to driver, pain and suffering, etc.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
The DR is very catholic and we have a DR1 member who represents them all on the forum.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i saw a statistic some while back that 75% of accidents in the DR are hit and runs. the whole state of driving in the DR, if it can be called driving, is essentially stone age. secondly, insurance companies are beyond stone age. there are no underwriting rules to speak of, and, as it seems, no rules of liability. in the USA,if you rear end someone, you are almost always held to be liable , because of the rule of following at a safe distance. if it can be established that someone jammed on his brakes, maliciously, and caused a rear end crash, such a person is partially liable. a guy who rear ends a stopped vehicle is always at fault, because of the concept of improper lookout. the DR does not use rules. accidents are determined by who is driving( gringo vs local, or Fausto vs Dr Brugal), and how many enablers and supporters each participant can muster, and, not to mention, who has more money to pay off the cops and the fiscal. so, OP, leave it be. you cannot win. save your powder until you are in a society with set rules.

Dec 26, 2011
i saw a statistic some while back that 75% of accidents in the DR are hit and runs. the whole state of driving in the DR, if it can be called driving, is essentially stone age. secondly, insurance companies are beyond stone age. there are no underwriting rules to speak of, and, as it seems, no rules of liability. in the USA,if you rear end someone, you are almost always held to be liable , because of the rule of following at a safe distance. if it can be established that someone jammed on his brakes, maliciously, and caused a rear end crash, such a person is partially liable. a guy who rear ends a stopped vehicle is always at fault, because of the concept of improper lookout. the DR does not use rules. accidents are determined by who is driving( gringo vs local, or Fausto vs Dr Brugal), and how many enablers and supporters each participant can muster, and, not to mention, who has more money to pay off the cops and the fiscal. so, OP, leave it be. you cannot win. save your powder until you are in a society with set rules.

Saw an erudite Dominican commentator on one of those roundtable shows almost twenty years ago say that 'el dominicano no se ha evolucionado hasta el punto de entender las leyes del tr?nsito'.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Saw an erudite Dominican commentator on one of those roundtable shows almost twenty years ago say that 'el dominicano no se ha evolucionado hasta el punto de entender las leyes del tr?nsito'.

it would be nice if he evolves to the point where he understands that there are traffic laws. that would be a worthwhile start. i almost got run over by a motoconcho that was passing the bus on the passenger door side, while people were making their exit. the guy actually screamed at the outgoing passengers, myself included. had he been in a country where traffic laws were enforced, he would have received a debilitating summons and fine, had it been witnessed by a cop. i have two buddies that work Manhattan North for NYPD. despite protestations to the contrary, cops do have summons quotas. they also have quotas for coupons (parking violations). they both love working Washington Heights, because they can get their daily quotas of moving violations summonses by late morning by ticketing Dominican taxi drivers.