American Airlines - US Air Merger??

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Tonight on NBC World News they said that there is a very strong possibility that American Airlines and US Air will be merging within the next week.

I've never followed airline mergers, but this time we're holding paid tickets to DR on AA for March & April. What usually happens to people like us when there is a merger?

And are frequent flier miles merged too?

chrisrose97

May 2, 2010
When American announced they were changing the logo and paint on their airplanes I kinda figured it was gonna happen....

AE, call AA customer service in the US , and ask them about how it would affect your trip and miles......they would know I guess....call AA in the US or chat on their website...

Last edited:

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Should this happen, expect changes but not rapid changes as it will take time for the both to merge services. It takes years. The airlines will honor all booked flights but expect some minor changes as there will begin a realignment of routes and coverage.

This merger, if it does take place, will improve our options to travel.

Regards,

PJT

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Should this happen, expect changes but not rapid changes as it will take time for the both to merge services. It takes years. The airlines will honor all booked flights but expect some minor changes as there will begin a realignment of routes and coverage.

This merger, if it does take place, will improve our options to travel.

Regards,

PJT

I wonder if they will honor award miles and continue credit card affiliations.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The changes I expect would be a reduction in the total people working for both airlines and a reduction in the total number of routes from what they both flew before the merger. As far as prices, they do have to compete in the market as it is so those will be based upon market pressures. Time will tell if the merger is a good thing for consumers. AA has steadily been getting worse, so hopefully they will be better in the long term.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Mergers are never a good thing for consumers. Fewer options means higher prices, etc...granted SOME consumers with special situations may benefit, but overall it is never a good thing. Delta took over Northwest, so now we have very little options out of Detroit; Fares are very expensive and Delta's frequent flyer program absolutely blows, whereas Northwest's was really nice. Not to mention they probably have the worst customer service as well.

I am platinum in USAir and used to be gold with AA (not anymore), but what I expect that will probably happen is that since USAir is basically taking over AA they will institute their policies. I will probably remain platinum in the new consolidated airline, but that's little consolation to me when flying anywhere will require me to use up tons of miles (Per USAir's policies) and not being able to buy one way or multi-city tickets with miles, which I can do now with AA.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I just got some good news from JetBlue about my flight to Boston tomorrow, It's Cancelled"!
"Good News", because I wasn't going anyway, and had planned to pay to change my flight to July first this am.
Their email gave me a new date of 11 November to go, but also the option of a cancellation, and a full refund of my ticket for tomorrow.
I choose the full refund!
Thank You, Mami Naturalesa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
I wonder if they will honor award miles and continue credit card affiliations.

I quite sure they will as a goodwill effort and good marketing to hold their client base. Expect a lot of award miles specials.

Regards,

PJT

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I just got some good news from JetBlue about my flight to Boston tomorrow, It's Cancelled"!
"Good News", because I wasn't going anyway, and had planned to pay to change my flight to July first this am.
Their email gave me a new date of 11 November to go, but also the option of a cancellation, and a full refund of my ticket for tomorrow.
I choose the full refund!
Thank You, Mami Naturalesa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Supposely,the Northeast is in for a blizzard! But so far US Airways has not cancelled my flight
to the DR for tomorrow.I'm keeping my fingers crossed,I guess it will depend on how bad it will be.

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
I quite sure they will as a goodwill effort and good marketing to hold their client base. Expect a lot of award miles specials.

Regards,

PJT

The credit card co. like city bank pay millions to the mileage programs, is a cash cow for the airlines.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I just hope they keep the DR routes...If they do and my status (Platinum) is transferred to AA then it could actually be a good thing for me...Expect higher prices.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
They, "DESERVE" each other!
I "left", 25,000 "miles" at AA, and switched to JetBlue!
I wouldn't fly AA for FREE!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I will take those 25,000 miles from you if you don't want them. That's at least a one way ticket to The DR.