road from Piedra Blanca to San jose de ocoa

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Has anyone a recent report on the condition of this road? We've been invited to visit friends in San Jose de Ocoa but I can find anything recent on the condition of the road. I have a good 4 wheel drive but forwarded is forarmed.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Guess not. I have driven mountain roads in many countries and suvived but like to plan ahead. Thanks for the help CC.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
On Google maps it doesn't look too bad until you get close to that river in SJDO. I never realized that road went all the way there...I'm going to try it next time I'm down there. Let us know how it goes.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I've done this trip on Endurro motorcycles in the past, but's it's been years now. Quick question: is there now a paved road that goes from San Jose de Ocoa to Piedra Blanca?

thanks, frank

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Well, there's a road, but is it paved? It does look like it cuts off a LOT of miles, but what a bunch of twists and turns!

There are long sections of the Ocoa mountain road that aren't paved, and they're a nightmare to drive.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I thought they stopped construction because of engineering challenges and concerns.

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I remember when I was in the Peace Corps in the late 80's and took a guaga from the capital and got off at Piedra Blanca and ended up paying a motorconcho to get to San Jose de Ocoa. I missed the daily pick up truck which took that route. It was truly one of the most interesting trips I have had in the DR. I had to get off the bike many times to get passed the real bad parts and in the end, he did more damage to his concho than I paid him for the trip. I was young and in good physical shape and handled it, but it was a tough trip. I am sure the road has to be better today, but the thread did bring back some memories.

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
I did the road from Constanza to sjdo last winter. I am sure things change frequently here but most was gravel and not too slippery even though a bit bumpy. A high clearance Ford explorer did fine at a slow pace (who wants to go fast anyway with such gorgeous views). There were a couple of switchbacks where part of the road was washed away but never felt in danger. Hope this helps and you have a safe and enjoyable ride, Bob.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I'm game for almost any road, in any condition, however my wife even finds the road to Jarabacoa scary. I have a Hundai Santa Fe with the 3.3 V6 so not a true 4 X 4, but usually ok for reasonable rough terrain. I think we'll end up taking the bus from Santo Domingo through Highway 41. Once we are in San Jose de Ocoa we can get a more realistic situational awareness from the locals, for trip #2.