Black in Latin America- Ep. 1- Haiti & the Dominican Republic- An Island Divided

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 26, 2011
In the Dominican Republic, Professor Gates explores how race has been socially constructed in a society whose people reflect centuries of inter-marriage, and how the country's troubled history with Haiti informs notions about racial classification. In Haiti, Professor Gates tells the story of the birth of the first-ever black republic, and finds out how the slaves's hard fight for liberation over Napoleon Bonaparte's French Empire became a double-edged sword.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9j4BoZH0rA

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
pollo, we have a non-Dominican mod who adores that CHIVITO JARTO 'E JOVO AND CRIMINAL RACIST Trujillo, and a Dominican one who despises Haitians.

Here's hoping they don't join forces Monday morning.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Good stuff pollogringo. I think that's a keeper.

Thanks for the posting.

wbr

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I saw the whole serie when it was on PBS. Not bad, but I wasn't too crazy about him though.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Yup !

Something about him, his delivery, thought he was too bourgeois, even a little condescending at times.
In the entire thing, he even goes to Africa, it is not limited to latin America.

Last edited:

Wuwu

Oct 3, 2012
This is a very good series by Prof. Gates. Well worth the time to watch all of them.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The Dominican episode is so badly done, its not even funny. Too much misinformation.

No mention of the Haitian invasions, no mention of some famous quotes by Juan Pablo Duarte (such as the one where he calls for Dominicans of all races to show the world that we're all brothers; he even confessed to admiring the Haitians due to their constant struggle for freedom and questioned how they could had subjugated the Dominican people, knowing very well the tribulations that a people wanting freedom go through.)

No mention of the law that Pedro Santana signed and put in effect right after the DR got its independence, in which it clearly stated that any blacks in the condition of slaves that would step foot on Dominican soil, was entitled to be freed on the spot and Dominican or foreigner living in the DR that were engaged in the slave trade would be punished with death.

No mention of national heroes like Gregorio Luper?n (black), Mauricio B?ez (the largest bridge in the country has his name and he was black too), hardly nothing said about Francisco del Rosario S?nchez (dark skin mulatto), among many others.

And a long list of other things that for some "odd" reason, didn't made it to the film. Plus, its heavily US-centric and this, by its very nature, gives a distorted view on things.

Ah well... I call this the legitimization of misinformation, at least regarding the DR. But, if misinformation is such visibly obvious to those of us that actually know Dominican history, my guess is that the other episodes also must contain some misinformation, that for obvious reasons, are not registering to my senses.

But I understand that these facts could get in the way of certain things, hence the omissions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.