Metro Reservations??

May 20, 2012
If you want to take a specific Metro bus, is there any way to make a reservation? The online reservation doesn't ask what time and so that's obviously not a real reservation....

How does it work when the number of people who want to ride exceed the seats available?

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
They don't take reservations, if the bus is full you take the next one
Thats the way it appeared to us, but it makes me wonder what holidays are like....
People were cutting in front of others to get on the bus.....which turned out to be full. Don't know if more wanted to ride though.
So getting to the station and buying a ticket gets you in the queue? Or is the queue the haphazard one that eventually forms to board the bus, outside, right before it departs?

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I have made reservation on buses here in Santiago. I am told to be there at least a half hour before departure. I have not had any problems with this.

However, I do speak nearly perfect Spanish and this facilitates things a good deal. I have not had any problems in Santo Domingo either.

HB

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
At Metro in Sosua you can buy a ticket the day of your trip for a later bus.
For example, go there at 9am and buy a ticket for an afternoon bus.

I have friends that do just that on long weekends to insure they have a ride back to the capital. Semana Santa though? Pure insanity and all bets are off.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I have made reservation on buses here in Santiago. I am told to be there at least a half hour before departure. I have not had any problems with this.

However, I do speak nearly perfect Spanish and this facilitates things a good deal. I have not had any problems in Santo Domingo either.

HB

Yes, you can your ticket in advance but if I'm not mistaken is who comes first is served first. The few times I used metro there was more than enough place, especially when you are well on time.

On holidays they probably have more buses available.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I'm so fat I buy 2 tickets!
You should see the ticket guy insisting that even though I bought two tickets, someone else is entitle to sit beside me!
Not Going To Happen"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I push/shove, my wayto the head of the "MOB"!
Just like all the Dominicans are TRYING to do, but I'm BIGGER!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
there is no reservation in a real sense of this word. like HB said, you can call and reserve a seat but you have to show up early to claim it. if if show up five minutes prior to departure at a busy time you are very likely to miss the ride.
they only sell enough tickets to fill up the buss. i have never seen folks who had tickets but did not get on the bus. yes, there is sometimes a multitude people trying to get tickets but once they are sold they are sold...
there is a certain flexibility on some routes with tickets thou. say you have a 3pm ticket from POP to santiago but you finished your business early and want to take 2pm bus or you are running late and arrive for 4pm bus. they will let everyone board first and then, at departure time they will let you in.

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
A little bit off topic but: 15 min ago I made a reservation on the caribetours webpage: to La Vega in one week, and just got a confirmation. The page is professional. I've made this a few times before. BUT: you have to be there 30 min before departure. Which I've done, but then .. I don't know how's theirs policy if you come late or they get too many reservations in advance.
Also: for a weeks ago the online-reservation didn't get thru so I made a call. They said they only reserve two days before (maybe because its the last carnaval-weekend). But today I got it, w'll see how much worth it'll be :)
Ps.: I personally see now difference in the service and comfort between C&M.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
I buy my ticket the day before at the Metro bus station for the trip from Sosua to Santiago. I travel on the 8:20am bus. When I arrive in Santiago I buy the return ticket for later that same day. However, I have not done this on a holiday.

May 17, 2011
I was in Sosua a few weeks ago and I went into the pharmicia where the station is and I was told there is no office for Metro in Sosua where you can buy tickets. The girl told me only Santo Domingo and Santiago. Is that true? So I am guessing you buy before you board the bus in Sosua?