Newbie Mike from Canada

DocMikey

Feb 13, 2013
Hello to everyone...I have really enjoyed reading all of your posts, particularly MountainAnnie and DV8.
Until last year I never gave a thought to the DR but by happenstance found a great vacation deal thru Air Canada to the Grand Paradise in Las Galeras. Absolutely loved it so returned again just last month but this time to El Portillo. In both cases I wandered into town and felt the true vibe of the country and people. I've learned enough Spanish (thanks to my knowledge of French) to get by in most routine situations and despite the doom and gloomers, I've never felt even remotely threatened or at risk. My gut always told me that kindness and goodwill are usually reciprocated and arrogance and conceit become targets. IMHO. Glad to know you all and hope to correspond.

agw

Feb 14, 2010
Just remember to use good common sense and reasonable caution - as you would in any unfamiliar place - and you should be fine. Glad both your visits were so positive!

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Mike? You're not from Canmore are you?

(In-joke amongst Canadians who listen to CBC only.)

Thinkus

Sep 8, 2011
Welcome to paradise Mike, here like in any other place you'll find good and bad, but if you use common sense you'll find that good outweigh bad by a lot.

Leines

Jan 27, 2013
Hey mike,
welcome to the forum, I haven't been here long either, but a fellow Canuck is great to see.... Being from la belle province do you cheer bleu blanc rouge as well my friend? I'm from Barrie area but born into a Montreal family.

Big_Poppi2

Mar 30, 2008
Aguilas Cibae?as
www.facebook.com
Hola, DocMikey!!! Nice to meet a new member to the thread, site and recent visitor to my home country, Dominican Republic. It is also great to know that you enjoyed your visits and stays so much. I have to admit that you have been to DR more recently than I but I think that your travels will show that it can be very enjoyable and more people will be encouraged from your experiences than discouraged. Welcome and hope to check out some of those other bloggers that you have enjoyed here so much!!! Take care and God bless,
Biggs

RayO

Mar 25, 2012
Hey mike,
welcome to the forum, I haven't been here long either, but a fellow Canuck is great to see.... Being from la belle province do you cheer bleu blanc rouge as well my friend? I'm from Barrie area but born into a Montreal family.
Leines, we live here in DR for 3 months (snowbirds) we lived in Utopia for 25 yrs. but recently moved to NB.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Welcome to the DR1 board, eh? Cool..

You have seen the hinterland, some of which is not really the DR, but just a wee shade of it. Well done on your part to go into the shallow end.

Next time, save a day or so and come on in! To Santiago and the Cibao Valley. Not a whole lot of "touristy" stuff to do but with your Quebecois (?) you can have a lot of fun...see the "real" country. Places like Jarabacoa, La Vega, and Santiago, and even out-of-the-way places like Monci?n and Santiago Rodr?guez are interesting to see...

One nice thing about this place is that you can always be surprised. From lush beaches to pine forests, from farmlands to deserts....thanks to its size and variety, we never seem to feel "island-bound" ...

And the coffee is great!!

Welcome aboard, eh? You are going to love this place, Doc.

HB