Does anyone know about the La Mulata III area????

OkieJoe

Feb 15, 2013
Ive been reading threads on Dr1 for awhile but this is the first time im posting. I'm looking at buying a property (land) around the LM3 area and was wondering if anyone lives (or has lived) in this area, and could give me some info about the area. I read the "King of La Mulata" thread, so I know it has an assorted history lol. I understand that the DR is "developing", and has its share of crime and corruption so I'm not expecting candy land, but I also don't want to drop my life savings into a area that is going down the drain. My wife and I are both military and have lived in pretty austere locations, so we don't scare to easy, but we also don't want to drop our life savings in a slum either. Thanks everyone for giving a "newbie" a heads up

monster4work

Jan 1, 2013
Ive been reading threads on Dr1 for awhile but this is the first time im posting. I'm looking at buying a property (land) around the LM3 area and was wondering if anyone lives (or has lived) in this area, and could give me some info about the area. I read the "King of La Mulata" thread, so I know it has an assorted history lol. I understand that the DR is "developing", and has its share of crime and corruption so I'm not expecting candy land, but I also don't want to drop my life savings into a area that is going down the drain. My wife and I are both military and have lived in pretty austere locations, so we don't scare to easy, but we also don't want to drop our life savings in a slum either. Thanks everyone for giving a "newbie" a heads up

I have lived here for many years and i would advise you to investigate the area thoroughly before buying i.e. maybe rent for a period........to see if you like the area, i was advised years ago never to purchase the other side of the highway (this includes LM) and it was one of best pieces of advice i was given. Remember what all real estate agents say is important and that is LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION and this is something to remember for the future should you wish to sell. I would personally spend some time looking around all areas of Sosua. Good Luck wherever you purchase

NYerinDR

Jan 9, 2004
I been here 10 years now. Stay away from LM I, II, III. Do a search in the forum, you will get all the answers!!

H20SKI

Jun 2, 2011
We have lived in LaMulata I for almost 3 years - and love it. It is close to Sosua - but not too close. In our neighborhood there have been robberies - just like every other neighborhood - be they gated, non-gated, security, no security - no one is 100% immune!! Thankfully our house is one that has not been robbed since we got here, but we also keep a low profile, have created multiple layers of deterrents such as iron work, dogs, alarm, etc. and so far (knock wood) that has worked for us. We also know many people who live in LaMulata II and III and they, too, like where they live.

I would also suggest you take a look at the area, OP. You reference a "slum" which makes me wonder if you've ever been here - and specifically, if you've ever been up La Mulata? I think you will be surprised at the number of very nice places all the way up to the top, many with fabulous ocean views, too. Yes, there are some areas that are not as nice (again - same as most everywhere here), but you need not worry that you would be slumming it.

Everywhere (in the DR as well as elsewhere) has its risks and its benefits...you just need to go in with eyes wide open and decide if the latter outweighs the former!!

H20SKI

Jun 2, 2011
LM has had its share of problems. I would not buy there.

As has Terramar, Lomas Mironas, The Gardens (Lomas Mironas), Perla Marina, Costa Azul, Playa Chiquita, Puerto Chiquito, Casa Linda, Hispanola....the list goes on and on. No area is immune from problems of some sort. One must decide what their tolerance level is for the risks/issues posed in each area and balance that against the positives. Otherwise, none of us would live here at all!

OkieJoe

Feb 15, 2013
We have lived in LaMulata I for almost 3 years - and love it. It is close to Sosua - but not too close. In our neighborhood there have been robberies - just like every other neighborhood - be they gated, non-gated, security, no security - no one is 100% immune!! Thankfully our house is one that has not been robbed since we got here, but we also keep a low profile, have created multiple layers of deterrents such as iron work, dogs, alarm, etc. and so far (knock wood) that has worked for us. We also know many people who live in LaMulata II and III and they, too, like where they live.

I would also suggest you take a look at the area, OP. You reference a "slum" which makes me wonder if you've ever been here - and specifically, if you've ever been up La Mulata? I think you will be surprised at the number of very nice places all the way up to the top, many with fabulous ocean views, too. Yes, there are some areas that are not as nice (again - same as most everywhere here), but you need not worry that you would be slumming it.

Everywhere (in the DR as well as elsewhere) has its risks and its benefits...you just need to go in with eyes wide open and decide if the latter outweighs the former!!

I wasn't referring to LM as a slum. I apologize if it came off that way. I was actually referring to how some places that may be adjacent to bad areas or high crime areas, get over ran with bad people when the good people move out. Thus dropping real estate values. Thanks for your response.

OkieJoe

Feb 15, 2013
Thanks everyone for your insight. I'm not saying that LM3 is a MUST buy area for me. I was just looking for building lots (around a acre), with ocean view. The lot was about $1.40 sqft and seemed like a reasonable price. That's why I was inquiring about the area. If anyone knows of anything that would be better, feel free to share/pm. Our ratio of risk is fairly reasonable and we don't scare to easy. Put of course getting robbed every couple of months doesn't sound like our cup of tea either lol.

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
You know Sosua and what's about ? If its your thing, ok. Otherwise: I would take a look at for example Las Terrenas, maybe a few $s more, but maybe it'll pay you in time, not only financially.

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Well, someone wrote, you shouldnt cross the main road... which means remain close to the ocean. I dont agree with that for many reasons. It's much hotter than uphills. Real estates encounter many problems because of salt and humidity. Stupid prices sometimes, not to say most of the times. Less quiet. And big problem for me, much more polluted. Then comes the safety problem. The local phobia. So I come from France, very civilised, rich country, very safe... A few days ago, I heard on the news a woman got stabbed by a man in mid afternoon in the middle of a supermarket. A knife shot right in the throat. Nobody reacted. She fel dead on the ground. The murdered walked away quietly. A few weeks ago, a woman was jogging. She got raped and killed... And so on. In France, a robbery occurs every 42 sec... Where I lived, very quite nice area, all the houses got robbed... So, ok dont cross the main road...

CocoBoy

Feb 23, 2012
We've lived in La Mulata for over 7 years and love it. Over 2x the number of homes built here since we moved to the area. IMHO. any advice to not consider the area as much as any other is ill founded. Feel free to PM me if you would like any further information. Best of luck.

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
I have lived in La Mulata 3 for ten years. It is superb. My neighbours are good, the views are good, the breeze is lovely, it is quiet and peaceful. Larger, well maintained villas are all valued in excess of $300000 raising to over $500000. It is certainly not a slum! Rumours you hear about "problems" are nearly always blown out of proportion for the benefit of others. The only advice I would give (and I sell real estate) is that you should only buy outside a fully gated community if you intend living in the property for much of the time - otherwise for a whole raft of reasons that have nothing to do with the neighbourhood you should stick to the gated communities or an apartment. Lot sizes in LM3 are around an acre with just a couple of exceptions, be careful if someone is sub-dividing without permission 'cos if you try to build the "King" will be after you ....

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
A recent poster on this thread is now in CMC with gunshot wounds from a home intrusion only yesterday- we on the Team wish him a speedy recovery ! Living in the lower part of LM was not safe for them. Rumours about the " problems" are pushed under the carpet by those that live there! There is a water supply problem in LM 3 , problems with the water wells too as you have to go so deep to get a reliable supply, electricity distribution is also a problem further up the hill. There is no real security up there except what you provide for your self. There is also a problem with lightning strikes for some reason too!

The advice not to buy there is sound advice IMHO ! With 60,000 US to play with there are better places to buy.

Olly and the Team

HIRAM

Mar 19, 2005
Well, someone wrote, you shouldnt cross the main road... which means remain close to the ocean. I dont agree with that for many reasons. It's much hotter than uphills. Real estates encounter many problems because of salt and humidity. Stupid prices sometimes, not to say most of the times. Less quiet. And big problem for me, much more polluted. Then comes the safety problem. The local phobia. So I come from France, very civilised, rich country, very safe... A few days ago, I heard on the news a woman got stabbed by a man in mid afternoon in the middle of a supermarket. A knife shot right in the throat. Nobody reacted. She fel dead on the ground. The murdered walked away quietly. A few weeks ago, a woman was jogging. She got raped and killed... And so on. In France, a robbery occurs every 42 sec... Where I lived, very quite nice area, all the houses got robbed... So, ok dont cross the main road...

RepDom: I lived for more than 10 years in France, the Luberon. Never been robbed.
Hiram.