Major projects for the DR 2013!!!!!!!!!!!

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
New Down Town Punta Cana 150,000 mts? US $50 million phase 1.

BDJ-DzGCQAAsr9G.jpg

PUNTA CANA | Aventura Mall Punta Cana US $ 200 million phase 1 + 2.

(pictures to come)

SANTO DOMINGO ESTE | City Mall Santo Domingo

z.png

capture20130120230635.png

31557772.jpg

[video]PguODvfcM5Q[/video]
[video=youtube;PguODvfcM5Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PguODvfcM5Q[/video]

JUAN DOLIO | Los Delfines Parque Acuatico

delfinemapfinal7-copy.png

aquapark2RED.JPG

Aquapark.JPG.w560h256.jpg

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I would like to add a new apparent first for the DR, a lottery bid system for the new schools that are being built. I can assure everyone it is transparent. I have two classmates that have won projects over the last year.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
What the heck is a lottery bid??? How is it different from lowest bid?
I would like to add a new apparent first for the DR, a lottery bid system for the new schools that are being built. I can assure everyone it is transparent. I have two classmates that have won projects over the last year.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
any plans for education that you care to share? the glass and concrete looks sweet, but what is in the works to prevent 90% of the applicants to the community college from failing the mathematics segment of the entrance exam?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
A lottery bid, for lack of the proper term, is nothing more than each interested engineer placing their name in a box and then having an official pick out the name with everyone present. Very simple and corrupt-proof.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
any plans for education that you care to share? the glass and concrete looks sweet, but what is in the works to prevent 90% of the applicants to the community college from failing the mathematics segment of the entrance exam?

New to be soon rolled out educational model for the DR...

Go back and read my posts!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Pretty brick and mortar is fine, but what about road projects?

What going on with the Piedra Blanca to San Jose de Ocoa road? I heard a contract was let, some construction was begun, then the plug got pulled for cost/engineering reasons. What's the wscoop?

And what about the road Leonel promised from Constanza to San Jose de Ocoa?

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Pichardo you seem to be the man in the know so I have a question..I know they are preparing to open the new hotel at the Blue Mall(?) (pretty sure it is Marriott) but while having drinks with some friends from Brazil a few days ago they were talking about some possible new hotel/hotels for the Malecon area. The Hilton is the newer on the block and the rest need a bit of a facelift. Even though I thought the Melia and the Jaragua did some renovations. Anything to this?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

What going on with the Piedra Blanca to San Jose de Ocoa road? I heard a contract was let, some construction was begun, then the plug got pulled for cost/engineering reasons. What's the wscoop?

They've actually been discussing this recently in the news. I suppose discussing and doing are two different things. :)

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Pichardo you seem to be the man in the know so I have a question..I know they are preparing to open the new hotel at the Blue Mall(?) (pretty sure it is Marriott) but while having drinks with some friends from Brazil a few days ago they were talking about some possible new hotel/hotels for the Malecon area. The Hilton is the newer on the block and the rest need a bit of a facelift. Even though I thought the Melia and the Jaragua did some renovations. Anything to this?
The Blue Mall hotel will be a JW Marriott (first in the Caribbean) and also an Embassy Suites will be at the Silver Sun Gallery. The Lama family (yes, same people of Plaza Lama) ended their contract with Meli? and signed a new one with Sheraton (again), plus the Intercontinental is now a Crowne Plaza. Maybe they were referring to the change of names at the two malec?n hotels or maybe the grape vine knows something else.

Almost forgot, there have been rumors for quite a while that the Veiramar tower still under construction (next to the old El Prado Hotel construction site that has been paralized for decades), the investors were going to convert the residential project to a luxury hotel. I think its suppose to be mixed residential-hotel.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
New to be soon rolled out educational model for the DR...

Go back and read my posts!
\

you mean like the one which proposes bringing in teachers from Spain, when the peso is at 50-something to the Euro? i can just see Spanish teachers lining up to go take a job in the caribbean for 500 Euro a month.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003

Priorities... All jobs got evaluated and a priority system was set in place for all of them.

Danilo wants jobs done at a pace where community needs trump the others, on a value scale of immediate impact of each project.

Projects that sit at the top 20% got immediate approval to be followed or start.

Projects that sit at the next lower 20% must meet budget restraints for the FY 2013-14.

Projects that sit at the next lower 40% will be put on hold until the budget for FY 2014-15 and 2015-16 and follow the same priority reset.

Projects that sit at the very last 20% are dead on arrival or until the DR's budget is on a surplus...

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Priorities... All jobs got evaluated and a priority system was set in place for all of them.

Danilo wants jobs done at a pace where community needs trump the others, on a value scale of immediate impact of each project.

Projects that sit at the top 20% got immediate approval to be followed or start.

Projects that sit at the next lower 20% must meet budget restraints for the FY 2013-14.

Projects that sit at the next lower 40% will be put on hold until the budget for FY 2014-15 and 2015-16 and follow the same priority reset.

Projects that sit at the very last 20% are dead on arrival or until the DR's budget is on a surplus...
As it relates to my question, this means...?

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
The Blue Mall hotel will be a JW Marriott (first in the Caribbean) and also an Embassy Suites will be at the Silver Sun Gallery. The Lama family (yes, same people of Plaza Lama) ended their contract with Meli? and signed a new one with Sheraton (again), plus the Intercontinental is now a Crowne Plaza. Maybe they were referring to the change of names at the two malec?n hotels or maybe the grape vine knows something else.

Almost forgot, there have been rumors for quite a while that the Veiramar tower still under construction (next to the old El Prado Hotel construction site that has been paralized for decades), the investors were going to convert the residential project to a luxury hotel. I think its suppose to be mixed residential-hotel.

The Meli? is now operating under name of Magna 365. They've closed the gym and pool for renovations and terminated all memberships under the old agreements. They will also be renovating the lobby.

NALs, what is the definitive story on that El Prado eyesore? I've heard so much chisme I don't know what is true.