Sending a package through USPS to Santo Domingo

illmortalized

Aug 31, 2012
Hey guys,

I have a package I'm trying to send to family but the layout of the address in Dominican Republic is much different than here in the U.S.

I'm sending this through USPS since FEDEX and UPS want to charge over $500 for shipping cost.

The Customs form has this layout to fill out the address:

To Addressee
Last Name
First Name
Middle Initial

Address (Number, Street, Suite, Apartment, P.O. Box)
Postcode
City
State/Province
Country

For the address I was given:
#9 Villa Aura, Calle 19, Esquina 9
Santo Domingo Este, Dominican Republic

But the person also says that her house number is #6

Google Maps doesn't even show that the address exists.

Also I've never heard of an address including, "street corner" in this case, "Street corner 9".

I'd like to send this out but I want to make sure it arrives, my grandmother never had a problem sending out packages, but unfortunately she past away so I have no real assurance that this will arrive without being abandoned.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Use a courier service. The mails are very risky, although I hear they work better in Santo Domingo than in the rest of the DR.

illmortalized

Aug 31, 2012
Use a courier service. The mails are very risky, although I hear they work better in Santo Domingo than in the rest of the DR.

Well that's the thing.. my family says that using USPS is fine when sending to populated locations like Santo Domingo.

I can't afford $500+ on shipping for something that weighs less than 6lbs and was a grand total of $80. I cannot justify the price gouging.

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
If they or you know an American with a EPS or BM account you could ship it to them via Miami.
Much, much, much cheaper.

"R-239"

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Hey guys,

I have a package I'm trying to send to family but the layout of the address in Dominican Republic is much different than here in the U.S.

I'm sending this through USPS since FEDEX and UPS want to charge over $500 for shipping cost.

The Customs form has this layout to fill out the address:

To Addressee
Last Name
First Name
Middle Initial

Address (Number, Street, Suite, Apartment, P.O. Box)
Postcode
City
State/Province
Country

For the address I was given:
#9 Villa Aura, Calle 19, Esquina 9
Santo Domingo Este, Dominican Republic

But the person also says that her house number is #6

Google Maps doesn't even show that the address exists.

Also I've never heard of an address including, "street corner" in this case, "Street corner 9".

I'd like to send this out but I want to make sure it arrives, my grandmother never had a problem sending out packages, but unfortunately she past away so I have no real assurance that this will arrive without being abandoned.

Could it be Santo Domingo Oeste? There is a Villa Aura in Santo Domingo Oeste, it has a cable 19, but it doesn't make corner with calle 9 (close though). Type Villa Aura in Google maps and you will see it.

You should be fine putting all the address information at Street (confirming if its #6 or #9) and as city use Santo Domingo Oeste and I think santo Domingo as province.

The best option though would be sending it to an eps address of someone. If you are Miami based I could help you out, send me a pm in that case.

illmortalized

Aug 31, 2012
Could it be Santo Domingo Oeste? There is a Villa Aura in Santo Domingo Oeste, it has a cable 19, but it doesn't make corner with calle 9 (close though). Type Villa Aura in Google maps and you will see it.

You should be fine putting all the address information at Street (confirming if its #6 or #9) and as city use Santo Domingo Oeste and I think santo Domingo as province.

The best option though would be sending it to an eps address of someone. If you are Miami based I could help you out, send me a pm in that case.

Ok I've figured it out. I was given a postal code of East Santo Domingo, instead of West, which is 10901.
Calle 19 is correct, it's a street in Villa Aura
Casa #6 is also correct, I'm guessing this is possibly a small community or apartments?
Esquina #9 doesn't exist and I've confirmed that with my family member.