Starbucks at Magna365

mikol

Jul 1, 2010
Starbucks shop or just coffee beans for the hotel coffee?

Starbucks abrir? cafeter?a en Hotel 365 Santo Domingo | Imagenes Dominicanas

Starbucks abrir? cafeter?a en Hotel 365 Santo Domingo

La famosa cadena internacional de caf? Starbucks establecer? en Santo Domingo su primer restaurante en unos meses, en las instalaciones del nuevo Hotel Magna 365, en la avenida George Washington.

El local de Starbucks funcionar? en el lobby del hotel ?regenteado por la cadena Sheraton- luego de unas remodelaciones a la que es sometido inform? una fuente a ImagenesDominicanas.com

Varios avisos en distintas ?reas del Hotel 365, alertan a sus visitantes la buena nueva: ?Coming son @ Sheraton Starbucks Coffee?. En principio se hab?a especulado que una cafeter?a de esa franquicia abrir?a en Agora Mall. Actualmente la famosa marca est?n presentes en m?s de 60 pa?ses.

Si al final abren en Santo Domingo,seria el segundo locaci?n en el ?rea de El Caribe, ya que hace 10 a?os abrieron en Puerto Rico -el primero de Latinoam?rica- donde actualmente existe varios locales.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I still find it hard to believe that Dominicans will flock to Starbucks with their skyhigh prices. Especially when great espresso is available at home.

That being said, a couple of our nieces have already been posting on FB that they're craving different drinks at Starbucks. A new status symbol??

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Local coffee is better. But the Starbucks concept as a whole is something I miss sometimes.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
starbucks is not about coffee. it is about stuff you stick in in. all the frapuccinos and so on. if the prices are going to be comparable to the UK then a fancy coffee will be just as expensive as a main dish in a restaurant :)
plenty of idiots in SD willing to pay that :) it will be a new place for the ricos. forgetting that abroad starbucks is frequented by your average folks: workers, students and so on :)

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Can somebody tell me where the "Hotel 365" is located on the Malecon? First I've heard of it.

It's the former Melia (next to Jaragua) that is going to be operated by Sheraton...

plenty of idiots in SD willing to pay that :) it will be a new place for the ricos. forgetting that abroad starbucks is frequented by your average folks: workers, students and so on :)

Remember people in some countries pay good money for a mango or other tropical fruits...not many students...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Remember people in some countries pay good money for a mango or other tropical fruits...not many students...

it's not this. it's making a status symbol of something so everyday and common in other countries you hardly ever register a visit there.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
it's not this. it's making a status symbol of something so everyday and common in other countries you hardly ever register a visit there.

Yes, I got your point.
My point is, if in DR a Starbucks' coffee can only be afforded by the rich, then I don't see anything wrong with it. We people with lower budgets can go to other places, and people who can afford Starbucks probably know it is something common in other countries.
I think every country has its own social realities and status symbols, which won't necessarily match those of other places. Maybe sporting a tan in Iceland in January means you can afford to travel and vacation, but maybe having a tan in DR in december for some people means you can't afford a car and are forced to walk under the sun.
In conclusion, yes, Starbucks are regular coffee shops in many countries, but they might well be for the rich in DR, and for some who can't really afford it but still go just for show, just like many other status symbols here and everywhere else. I still think it's nice to know you can go there if you really want to.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Can I afford to go to Starbucks in DR and in USA? Yes, no problem.

Do I? Nope.

I can't enjoy a $5-6 cup of coffee, it goes against my grain.

I do know people who go there to use the wifi.

If I'm out and want coffee in US, I look for Dunkin Donuts or McDonalds, both make a good cup of joe.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
This has to be seen to be believed!

Starbucks has been arriving for years now and somehow, every year it was suppose to enter the market, the year comes and it goes and Starbucks? Nowhere to be seen.

Maybe this will be the time, but...

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Plain Starbucks coffee sux IMO, but they have cultivated an image and they do have many different choices of mixed coffee drinks. I suspect most Dominicans who will frequent this place will go for the mixed drinks. Even though Dominican coffee is far superior again IMO, we all know coffee is not the main reason for people to visit. It is to see and be seen. To appear "hip" and "Cool" with their caramel machiattos in hand.

Branding is an amazing thing...it is the reason Nike can charge 100 USD for a sneaker that has the same quality as another one that would cost 25 USD.

I anticipate that if they do it right it will be a huge success...Actually anywhere in the "Poligono Central" area as well as in certain places in Santiago and even in Punta Cana they would be very successful.

NALS: Good point...it could also be one of those locations where they "Serve Starbucks coffee", but it's not a real franchise.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
starbucks is not about coffee. it is about stuff you stick in in. all the frapuccinos and so on. if the prices are going to be comparable to the UK then a fancy coffee will be just as expensive as a main dish in a restaurant :)

it's all in keeping with one prominent aspect of the Dominican zeitgeist; style over substance. they have some of the very best coffee in the world right here, but it LOOKS more impressive to be seen in an establishment selling a foreign product, because it differentiates them from the guy from Los Mina who cannot afford to go there. meanwhile, that guy is probably drinking something primo, while Senor Volvo is guzzling something made from 4th grade reject beans from Colombia. to each his, or her, own.

Combo

Mar 29, 2011
I like Starbuck's not so much for the flavor, but for the caffeine content. Their regular coffee and espresso is loaded with caffeine, way more than other cafes (you can verify this with Google). They got me addicted!

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
It seems Santo Domingo Coffee has been preparing some time now for Starbucks to come and opened coffee stores in every new mall in the capital. I use them regularly to do some work in between client visits, free Wifi, low prices, excellent coffee and tea. No need for Starbucks.

Aug 19, 2004
It seems Santo Domingo Coffee has been preparing some time now for Starbucks to come and opened coffee stores in every new mall in the capital. I use them regularly to do some work in between client visits, free Wifi, low prices, excellent coffee and tea. No need for Starbucks.

Agree - we were in Agora on Saturday and had an excellent cup of coffee. I hope they open a suitable place in the Zona Colonial - old restored house would make a great setting.

it's all in keeping with one prominent aspect of the Dominican zeitgeist; style over substance. they have some of the very best coffee in the world right here, but it LOOKS more impressive to be seen in an establishment selling a foreign product, because it differentiates them from the guy from Los Mina who cannot afford to go there. meanwhile, that guy is probably drinking something primo, while Senor Volvo is guzzling something made from 4th grade reject beans from Colombia. to each his, or her, own.

Same applies in to KFC - in Britain it is just a cheap place to eat - in the DR it is a gourmet eating house on Churchill - yet Victorina is so much better.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Can I have a coco moco left handed frappucino blended yak milk and double Stevia. NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Give me a good cup of cafe Americano, hold the bs.and the hyped up prices.

LTSteve

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Same applies in to KFC - in Britain it is just a cheap place to eat - in the DR it is a gourmet eating house on Churchill - yet Victorina is so much better.

pollo victorina is no more. it was stupid to compete with KFC with similar business model. late night pollo stands are the dominican way, no a half-arsed copy of KFC. and speaking of which, i hate it so much. never go there. if i want a chicken i'll have pollo al carbon with a nice juicy bird that this very morning was roaming around digging in dirt, not packed tight in a cage with thousands other birds, fed antibiotics.