Does Puerto Plata Airport exchange Canadian Currency?

Feb 4, 2013
Can anyone tell me if the money exchange at Puerto Plata Airport exchange Canadian currency? If so do you get a reasonable rate of return? :cool:

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Change Loonies to USD before you arrive.
ANY Taxi takes USD, rates posted.

The airport cambio booth takes a little 30% haircut on the exchange rate, just because they can!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
DO NOT bring Loonies, either bring USD or use your ATM card at the teller.
There are 47 threads on this subject if you use the SEARCH function!

May 29, 2006
I was on a school trip to Sosua and this kid tried to get a credit card cash advance from a CD vendor at the airport. I did everything I could aside from physically dragging him away to stop him but he insisted. He got burned for over $300 and spent most of his trip on the phone trying to get the transaction reversed.

There are ATMs 10 minutes away in Sosua. There is no reason to bring more than a couple bucks with you in cash for entry fees, and they take Canadian money.

Change at the cambio shops for the best rates. Your hotel will also rip you off and the bank takes too much time. I like to change even amounts so I can be sure the exchange rate is what is actually posted.

ATMs are good, but you will pay card fees.

BIG RIP OFF AT AIRPORT!!! Why not just bring US with you it's way easier. I am from Canada and CDN is worth more than US in Canada! In the DR CDN is Worth less than USD!!

Be careful with using your debit card everywhere, there are lots of shady bank machines...

Last edited:

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
DON'T exchange your money in the airport/hotels. And bringing in US $ or at least ATM is ideal way. Last time I exchanged dollars it came out to be RD$40.69 to US$1. I don't know how much the dollar has gone up but you'll generally get better rates in the cambio(exchange) places. Look at one of the post on the stickies on Living section and see couple of last pages. The price you see there +/- RD$2 will be how much you should be looking to get if you have no idea of the current exchange rate.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
you may be able to get DRPesos at the Cdn Bank before travelling...... otherwise = US$$$.... don't take less than 40:1