Tourist Card Extension

david_

Dec 8, 2012
Ok, I enter the DR from the US and pay the $10 for the tourist card.

Two questions:

Currently how long is this good for? I have read here both 30 days and 60 days. Which is it?

If I want to get an extension at the end of the 30 or 60 days, is it possible, for how long can it be extended, and what is the process and cost for this extension?

Thanks in advance for any help. I'm formulating a "visa run" plan and need accurate information

Last edited:

chrisdr

Oct 7, 2012
When I entered in September it was for 60 days if I remember correctly... But I wouldn't worry you just pay when you leave. I am sure someone will post the exact price but I overstayed by 5 months last time and it was not more than $30 when I left. If you are going from Santo Domingo make sure you pay at the office on the malecon rather than the airport, I have heard a few people got overcharged there...

Thats why I have not bothered with getting my cedula so far...

david_

Dec 8, 2012
Chrisdr,

Thanks for the response, but not exactly what I'm looking for. Not interested in what overstay fees cost. I need to know how long the original tourist card is good for, can it be extended, what is the cost for extension, how long of an extension can you get, and what is the process for extension.

Ive read conflicting information on this site and would like to hear from someone who has first hand knowledge about these questions.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Chrisdr,

Thanks for the response, but not exactly what I'm looking for. Not interested in what overstay fees cost. I need to know how long the original tourist card is good for, can it be extended, what is the cost for extension, how long of an extension can you get, and what is the process for extension.

delete all of this ............................

david_

Dec 8, 2012
Ok Mike, delete what you want. I'm just asking for information from anyone who might have experience with this

I'm pretty sure it's 60 days, but it really doesn't matter as Chrisdr was getting at the overstay fee is minimal at $500 for 5 years....Most people just pay the fee when they leave.

Missed the Visa Run part.

To do the Visa thing you have to Apply in your own Country, not in the DR so the Tourist Card really wouldn't help you in this process. I just applied from Canada and did this 6 weeks ago.

Last edited:

david_

Dec 8, 2012
Thanks harleysrock, your response made me realize my original post should have read "visa renew" not run. Or I guess technically a tourist card renew.

Still, not wanting overstay information, just specific info on the tourist card extension.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Tourist Card is valid for 30 days according to this DR government site

About the Tourist Card

The Tourist Card is a tax the Dominican Republic charges its visitors. Its legal base rests on the Law 199-67, which establishes the acquisition of such card as a requirement to enter national territory, for tourism purposes, without the need of a consular Visa.
Law 199-67 establishes that the right to the Tourist Card is automatically lost if the beneficiary engages in lucrative activities while in Dominican territory. Furthermore, the inappropriate use of the Card will be sanctioned by the National Migration Authorities with immediate expulsion of the visitor from the country dispensing with any formalities. Foreigners wishing to enter the Dominican Republic for business purposes shall apply for a Business Visa, with one or multiple entries, at one of the many diplomatic and consulate offices overseas.

The Tourist Card allows a stay of 30 days in the country, after which, if wishing to stay longer, the Tourist can extend his or her stay paying a fee which will be proportional to the amount of time he or she wishes to remain in the country. If information on the matter is needed, contact the Ministry of Migration.
To obtain a Tourist Card the only requirements are a Valid Passport and the payment of aUS$10.00 or ?10.00fee.
The Tourist Card is valid for a year from the date of purchase and is only valid for one person, who will only be able to use it once. The Tourist Card can be acquired at point of sale locations in land, air, or sea ports in the country; it is also available in Dominican embassies and consulate offices overseas and in Tour operating companies. It may also be purchased through the online portal at www.dgii.gov.do.
Who is exempt?
All tourists entering the Dominican Republic should purchase a Tourist Card except countries with which the Dominican Republic has previous agreements.
Tourist exempted from the Tourist Card purchase are:

• Residents, Visa holders and Dominican nationals.
  • Foreigners arriving from Argentina, Chili, South Korea, Ecuador, Israel, Japan, Peru and Uruguay.
  • Diplomatic and Consular staff with assigned missions in the country, while they remain on duty.
  • Passengers using private, noncommercial aviation as long as the aircraft fulfills the following requirements: the trip must be for sport, leisure, executive, tourism and business purposes, and the aircraft must not weigh more than thirty thousand pounds (30,000) and have a maximum capacity of 12 passengers.
  • Haitian nationals having a card that validates their entry and exit of the country the same day. The use of this Card is fully explained under Art. 78 of the Migration Law .It also specifies that this card will only be valid in the Dominican province which borders the residence in Haiti of the holder .If not, a Tourist Card must be bought.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Thanks windeguy for posting that.

David, make a search with ''prorroga''. I found this and there is more ....

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by XTraveller PRORROGA-----EXTEND TOURIST VISA

I finally went thru the whole process. Close to the end of the first 30 days in DR. you can go to migration in SD. You go to cage #2 (Extranjeria) on the first floor with your passport. There you have to pay RD800 and can extend your tourist visa for an additional 3 months. If you want for more months you must return around the end of your prorroga and pay RD800 for an additional 3 months.
Note that the second time you must have your passport and a copy of your expire prorroga, you can make a photo copy at the reception area RD5. Make sure to have the photo copy before getting inline at cage #2.

Therefore this way you are a legal tourist but this is more costly than paying the fine when leaving
DR.Prorroga RD800 for 3months
Fine RD800 for up to close to 1 year I think?

XTraveller
I used to do as you excplained (go to the........,)not every 3 months though but only once and asked for a prorroga for 5 months(so I was paying for 4 to 6 months or something like that). Have they changed the law ????????????

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Also see Dominican Republic. Re: Visas: Visitors who do not obtain a Dominican visa prior to entry must purchase a tourist card upon arrival to enter the country. Tourist cards cost ten U.S. dollars, which must be paid in U.S. currency. Tourist cards may be purchased at the Dominican Embassy in Washington or Dominican consulates prior to arrival, as well as at Dominican airports at the time of entry. Tourist cards normally permit a legal stay of up to 60 days. Visitors who would like to extend their time in the Dominican Republic should visit the Migration Department in Santo Domingo and request an extension. Failure to request an extension will subject the visitor to a surcharge at the airport upon departure. The surcharge, assessed on a sliding scale, ranges from $30 for one month to as high as $500 for five years.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Also see Dominican Republic. Re: Visas: Visitors who do not obtain a Dominican visa prior to entry must purchase a tourist card upon arrival to enter the country. Tourist cards cost ten U.S. dollars, which must be paid in U.S. currency. Tourist cards may be purchased at the Dominican Embassy in Washington or Dominican consulates prior to arrival, as well as at Dominican airports at the time of entry. Tourist cards normally permit a legal stay of up to 60 days. Visitors who would like to extend their time in the Dominican Republic should visit the Migration Department in Santo Domingo and request an extension. Failure to request an extension will subject the visitor to a surcharge at the airport upon departure. The surcharge, assessed on a sliding scale, ranges from $30 for one month to as high as $500 for five years.

I believe the US site you posted is out of date. It says 60 days for tourist card validity. The site I posted is the DR site and it says 30 days for a tourist card to be valid.

david_

Dec 8, 2012
David, make a search with ''prorroga''. I found this and there is more ....

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by XTraveller PRORROGA-----EXTEND TOURIST VISA

I finally went thru the whole process. Close to the end of the first 30 days in DR. you can go to migration in SD. You go to cage #2 (Extranjeria) on the first floor with your passport. There you have to pay RD800 and can extend your tourist visa for an additional 3 months. If you want for more months you must return around the end of your prorroga and pay RD800 for an additional 3 months.
Note that the second time you must have your passport and a copy of your expire prorroga, you can make a photo copy at the reception area RD5. Make sure to have the photo copy before getting inline at cage #2.

Therefore this way you are a legal tourist but this is more costly than paying the fine when leaving
DR.Prorroga RD800 for 3months
Fine RD800 for up to close to 1 year I think?

XTraveller
I used to do as you excplained (go to the........,)not every 3 months though but only once and asked for a prorroga for 5 months(so I was paying for 4 to 6 months or something like that). Have they changed the law ????????????

La Mariposa,

Thanks for the info, that is exactly what I was looking for. I thought that was possible but couldn't find it. It seems most people prefer to just pay the overstay fee when they exit, but with so many recent changes I wanted to know what to do on the front end to renew the card if needed. I appreciate those who have responded that paying on exit is ok, but I was looking to not having to rely on that always being an option if the rules change later.

Thanks again everyone for your time and input

Last edited:

dropshort

May 18, 2008
I have never been overcharged at SDQ-AILA.
I go IMMEDIATELY to desk and pay the amount specified.
It is too simple and cheap!

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
I believe the US site you posted is out of date. It says 60 days for tourist card validity. The site I posted is the DR site and it says 30 days for a tourist card to be valid.

How about the rest of the information? Does it tie in with previous replies?