East coast animal lovers

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The B?varo-Punta Cana area has a couple of much-needed organisations dedicated to animal welfare. One is Resc?tame. I got to know them several months ago when I found an abandoned dog, and was put in touch with one of the organisers. She found a home for the dog within a day. I now follow their activities on Facebook and they are true women of action, as well as words. Just last week they followed up on a report from DR1 poster caribmike who came across some poor families with starving dogs in a remote area here on the coast - they visited the area and will be going back to help the humans and the animals.

Here is the description on their website:
RESCATAME PUNTA CANA has been developed by a group of people who on their own free time, have always been helping and taking care of the animals in need without any profit purposes, just for love, passion and wanting to improve the area in which we all live. The intention of this group of animal lovers is to rescue and help every animal without a home, sick or abused in the area of Bavaro / Punta Cana.

Things we want to do:
To start spaying / neutering campaigns to avoid the uncontrolled breeding of stray animals.
To build a home or shelter for sick animals not able to live in the street.
To help animals to be adopted and have a second chance of finding a loving family.
To create awareness between citizens, so they report abuse, abandon or emergency cases and no animal is left to die in the street without any help.
To create links with other animal protection foundations, including SODOPRECA and Collares Rojos from Bayahibe.

We have the invaluable support of the best veterinarians in the area.
At the beginning we?ll try to invest the money collected in doing spaying / neutering campaigns, to stop the growth of the stray dogs numbers. Later, depending on the available funds, we?ll try to find a suitable place to build a rescue center.
The more we are, the more we can do. Help us to change the fate of the less fortunate.
It goes on to provide details of how people can support them and become involved.

About Us

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
The father made a living with having a contract / agreement with a hotel to pick up their kitchen waste on a daily base. He fed his animals (pigs, dogs etc.) with it and so on. After his truck broke down he couldn't continue with the Hotel and lost this job.

The kids befriended us while we were exploring and invited us to their place... and what I've seen there I couldn't forget so I am glad I found "rescatame" thanks to Chirimoya :)

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Since the people's place is somewhat "Beyond the Beach", maybe Hollywood could arrange something? Hint, hint... ;)

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
Yes, wonderful people! I have donated to collaresrojos and I am now going to be helping out Rescatame :classic:
I am bringing some supplies donated by a wonderful lady in Canada and I am bringing some myself as well as volunteering some of my time to help out.